Starting a Simple SE build... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 4th April 2009, 02:41 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Power transformer hammond 274BX $92.36.......Also can use Allied 6K7VG $50.32
The Allied IS a Hammond. It is bigger (more laminations) than the 274BX because it is rated for 50Hz operation, and it costs a lot LESS. Why would you buy the 274BX? I have used them both and I prefer the Allied.

If you really want a 274BX get it from AES it is $78.95. The 374BX is reported to be better than either of the others, but it costs $116.05.
Old 4th April 2009, 03:06 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tubelab.com

The Allied IS a Hammond. It is bigger (more laminations) than the 274BX because it is rated for 50Hz operation, and it costs a lot LESS. Why would you buy the 274BX? I have used them both and I prefer the Allied.

If you really want a 274BX get it from AES it is $78.95. The 374BX is reported to be better than either of the others, but it costs $116.05.

I was just putting together a list of possible parts. I did end up purchasing the Allied. It was $62 with shipping!

Since I have "the man" himself on the line - can I ask if my PCB is on the way to Littleton MA ??? No pressure - I've got plenty to do...
Old 4th April 2009, 03:18 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VictoriaGuy

I had the audiotropic link incorrect- sorry- it's .net, not .com

Aardvarkash has the link for you, above.
got it. I've been entertaining myself reading his site...
Quote:

If you don't want to do the 'trick' in the Pointz chassis with the wiring from the PS to the amp hidden in the wood frame, you could just float a nice wood panel in the space between the 2 parts of the chassis.
I am going to drop all the AC below the top plate - it needs to be switched & fused & wired to the rear IEC - so that seems to make the most sense.
Quote:

BTW, the Pointz MM is a really good sounding amp for your next project.
holy crap. I don't even have the parts for this one yet....!!!!

stop feeding the addiction man!
Old 4th April 2009, 04:21 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oldmanStrat

holy crap. I don't even have the parts for this one yet....!!!!
You have NO idea what you've gotten involved in!

Old 4th April 2009, 05:51 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
can I ask if my PCB is on the way to Littleton MA
I took it to the post office this morning (Saturday) along with 3 others.
Old 4th April 2009, 06:03 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oldmanStrat

It's a slippery slope......I haven't got Poinz' EL34 music machine off of the breadboard yet and I am sitting here simultaneously stuffing the SimpleSE and TubelabSE boards
Old 5th April 2009, 01:17 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by boywonder

It's a slippery slope......I haven't got Poinz' EL34 music machine off of the breadboard yet and I am sitting here simultaneously stuffing the SimpleSE and TubelabSE boards

Seriously - two tube amps is one more than I really need. I'm just going to build the SE, and then the Fostex FE206E horns (big monster cabinets) then maybe a phono preamp. And I was thinking of building a SS amp for comparison purposes... And thats it.... unless my son wants an amp for college...

Damn. Is there a 13 step program for DIY?
Old 5th April 2009, 02:04 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Damn. Is there a 13 step program for DIY?
You that you have got it bad when you find your self building an amp listening to it for a week or so and then taking it all apart so that you can build something else.

After doing this for 40+ years I learn to never cut a transformer lead to length. I leave them long because I know that I am going to need more wire on the next amp. My big Edcor OPT's are in their third amp. and the little guys have been in at least 5. I don't even bother to make a chassis any more, I just screw everything to a piece of wood.

Later this year I might break down and get a modern TV since the newest TV in the house is 12 years old. Of course I will need a "modern" sound system to go with it. This means that I might get to make at least one complete amp this year. There were none last year.

Quote:
two tube amps is one more than I really need.
Two is more than I really need too, but I can see 6 complete amps and several more in pieces from where I am sitting, and right now, NONE of them are connected to my speakers. What is the number for DIYanon?
Old 5th April 2009, 07:11 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tubelab.com
I don't even bother to make a chassis any more, I just screw everything to a piece of wood.
Thats how my S5 is sitting in my office. I can just see my cat wandering in one day a loosing a couple of lives...

Quote:
Two is more than I really need too, but I can see 6 complete amps and several more in pieces from where I am sitting, and right now, NONE of them are connected to my speakers.
6 amps sitting there doing nothing? Dude, send one of them my way and I promise I'll keep the tubes warm

Quote:
What is the number for DIYanon?
First you have to admit you have a problem...
Old 6th April 2009, 09:13 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default B+ question

Ok - so I'm going through the parts from Digikey that just showed up and I re-read the note on R17/R27 - the cathode resistors. Wanting to double check the value, I tried to figure out an approximate B+ voltage...

Now if I have 750CT transformer or 375-0-375, my understanding is that this is an RMS number. Which would leave me with 375/.707 or 530V!

Now I know this is wrong. What I don't know is why...

Lastly I want to sneak in a motor run cap question - these caps seem to be spec'd fairly low in value (10-20uf) and as AC. I believe that this would be installed on the B+ (optional cap on the schematics) - so the question is why? There is already a 100uf there... if I'm way off track feel free to let me know.

Hide this!Advertise here!