Tubelab Simple SE with big honkin' Edcors? - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 9th May 2009, 02:13 AM   #61
diyAudio Member

Hi George,

I am just about to start buliding the TSE. I have Edcor trannies, Raytheon 5842, but still did not get the output tubes.
I am aiming for a 300B TSE but still unsure which one to get.
Which 300B do you use for testing your amp (model, price, source) and which one to you like to use to listen to music ? Which ones did you try ?
I would like to have a poll, but don't know how to create one or if allowed on this forum ...
Options that I know are:
Shuguang 300B-98
Shuguang 300BA
Shuguang 300BC
Shuguang 300BS-B
Shuguang 300B-Z (Black bottle or Treasure)
EH 300B
EH 300B gold
JJ 300B
Svetlana 300B
TJ (I think there are 3 or 4 types)
KR
WE

Some brands are not there because I suspect they are just rebranded.

- The Shuguang seem to have reliability issues
- Nothing bad so far on the EH
- 50-50 reviews on the JJs
- Of course thumbs up on the WE

I think I will go for the Electro Harmonix
Old 9th May 2009, 03:33 AM   #62
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
Quote:
Originally posted by nic6paul
Interesting. Edcor on your transformer made the five volt leads yellow and on mine they are brown. Just goes to show ya you should always check the manufacture data sheets before hooking anything up.
They seem to use whatever colors they want. For the custom tranny I did for the TSE, the color coding on the B+ winding is less than intuitive.

Edcor Universal Power Transformer for Tubelab SE
Old 9th May 2009, 03:41 AM   #63
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tubelab.com Some amps like the 845SE were my favorite when I made them, but I lost interest after I got used to the sound.
At this point I think I may have abandoned the idea of an 845 SE amp. I was convinced I'd want the watts, but now I'm pretty sure i don't need them. I suppose if things change I may change my mind, like if we move or something and the room becomes larger. But for now, I don't feel to desire to build anything like one. Part of me is glad.

Quote:
I now have all the space behind it to put a tube amp, but what kind? I keep changing my mind.
My gut tells me that there will always be something better over the horizon. It sounds like you do most of your listening in your shop. Find something you like and stick it back there for now.

Quote:
...that lets me turn up the current to 100mA without worry.
I didn't have the meter on when I was running the 6550s with the 320 ohm cathode resistors.

I think I'm going to swap those caps tonight....
Old 9th May 2009, 04:58 AM   #64
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rknize

Anyone else that has both a SSE and TSE care to comment?
I like the Simple SE better. But I'm not an audiophile.

I will admit that I have much more time listening to the Simple SE. The SSE is at my city house, and it pretty much runs 24/7. The TSE is at our lake house, where I am lucky to spend a few days a month.

Both incorporate modest components. I have auricaps in the SSE, and musicaps in the TSE. The TSE has Transcendar OPT's, the SSE has the oft maligned Hammond 125ESE's. I have the same speakers at each location - Klipsch Ikon 35's (the ones sold through Best Buy), 96dB sensitivity.

I have used top quality tubes in the TSE (Sylvania, RCA, and NU 45, Sylvania 5930, RCA 2A3, Tung Sol VT-63). I haven't tried 300B. 45 sound way better than 2A3. 46 may sound better than 45, haven't decided yet.

The SSE will flat ROCK the house, I like that. The TSE just can't, at least not with the tubes I have. I use top quality tubes in the SSE as well, and don't think it gives up much in terms of detail. With tubes like 6V6 and 6K6, I'm not sure it gives up any at all, and it can still rock. I can listen to the SSE with 6K6's all night long. My SSE has hi/lo B+ taps, jacks for plate caps, and is very "tinkerable". I like that.

I have two more SSE boards, I am planning on building out one with good transformers optimized for just the little tubes, and the second optimized just for big beamers, and I have been thinking hard about the honkin' Edcors for OPT's on that one. I am slowly gathering components, but lately my soldering iron/bench time has been back on SSB rigs that started the tube audio diversion.

This is not meant as an indictment of the TSE, I think it sounds great. I just like the SSE better in my particular circumstance. I may try to rebuild the TSE at some point with better OPT's and my opinion may very well change.

Can't wait for the Tubelab push-pull parts to become available.

Win W5JAG
Old 9th May 2009, 05:22 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your thoughts...I am no Audiophile either. Interesting to hear that you have Klipsch speakers too. I've never heard the VF-35s. Mine are KLF-10s and they are 98dB. The TSE with 300Bs will rock the house, believe me, if your OPTs can handle it. I have One Electron UBT-2s in mine. The KLF-10s seem to be an easy load to drive because even with 45s, the TSE could bump-bump pretty well at reasonable volumes. It had a hard time driving my old Boston Acoustic A70s. They are 90dB, but are acoustic suspension and don't go as deep as the KLFs anyway. I did try the SSE with the A70s briefly and it had no trouble with it. I didn't push it too hard though...yet.

Quote:
Originally posted by w5jag My SSE has hi/lo B+ taps, jacks for plate caps, and is very "tinkerable". I like that.
I did the exact same on my TSE. It's a custom Edcor.

I swapped Auricaps in for the PIOs and it did help with certain details. No major improvement in how it images (maybe a tad), but the high-end detail is improved. In fact, it brought back some of the "detailed distortion" that I was talking about earlier, which may not be a good thing. I may go back once the TSE is up again.
Old 9th May 2009, 05:55 AM   #66
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rknize

Interesting to hear that you have Klipsch speakers too. I've never heard the VF-35s.

These Klipsch are the only reasonably high efficiency speakers I have ever had. Before that, all my stereo stuff was Yamaha, and I still have some 86dB-ish Yamahas in my ham shack.

I got the Ikons because I felt like I was just not doing either the SSE or TSE justice with lower efficiency speakers. I would describe them as Klipsch knocking off its own higher end line of speakers, at a considerably reduced price. If I had it to do over again, I would probably get the 97.5 dB VF-36's for the TSE.

When I first got them, I thought they were too skewed toward treble, but either my ears have adjusted, or the horns have softened a bit, as I now think they have a very satisfying response. No doubt they are modest speakers in the world of high efficiency audiophile stuff, but such as they are, they are a vast improvement over low efficiency speakers.

Win W5JAG
Old 9th May 2009, 05:55 AM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tubelab.com The EH tubes are my first choice for anything loud or bass heavy. This may be due to the monster winged plate that lets me turn up the current to 100mA without worry.
LOL...I just checked. Over 32V across 320-ohm resistors. >100mA...I think we are hearing the same thing.

Click the image to open in full size.

They have huge wings too...I bet they are the same frickin' tube as the EH KT88 in a fat, ST-shaped bottle. Look familiar?

Click the image to open in full size.

So maybe I was suckered by New Sensor's marketing B.S. (these are "Tung-Sol"), but at least they sound good. Next time I'll get the EH tubes...they are cheaper.
Old 9th May 2009, 03:53 PM   #68
tigrine is offline tigrine  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Rknize,
When you use the EL34 what is the value of the cathode resistor ?
What is the B+ of your amp ?

By the way, your amp look very very nice!
Old 9th May 2009, 06:55 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

Well I am just finishing up my build. Seeing how neat and tidy your wires are have me already thinking about building a new chassis. I really could use a bit more room for wire management.

By the way I think his b+ is 461 if that is what the multimeter is reading on a different page of this thread.
Old 9th May 2009, 08:04 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

A little different approach on my chassis. I got the 17"x10" plate drilled all the holes and bent a 90` 2 " from either end. But...... I may have messed up the bends. Ended up having to beat it with a hammer. My brother in-law the retired plumber just got rid of all his sheet metal bending equipt. Now to see if the hammertone paint will cover the hammering.

Hide this!Advertise here!