(YATSE) Yet Another Tubelab SE (sorry...long) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 13th June 2009, 06:34 AM   #11
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
I've slowly been making progress on the chassis for this amp. I've re-breadboarded the amp to check out the final arrangement and see how the switchable B+ and heater voltage works. Oh man, I've missed this amp. With 45s in there...it has some kind of magic... Was listening to some old Erich Kunzel stuff...it was a hoot.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 19th June 2009, 06:08 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Here we are sporting the 5-pin sockets with a pair of VT-225s strapped as triodes. They sound quite nice. More grunt, like a 300B...not sure if they are as detailed as a 45 though. Need to spend some time with them. I'm running them at 50mA, which seemed reasonable. Any suggestions on bias current?

One of the tricks of this amp build will be modular sockets on the output tubes. The Tubelab SE can drive all sorts of things. The UBT-2s don't have UL taps, so I'll just stick with triodes and triode-strapped pentodes. I plan to make 2 or more different octal sets for driving EL34s and friends as well as sweep tubes. The 4 and 5 pin are these "johnson" style sockets, but the octals will probably just be the normal ones on little adapter plates.

This one's for you, George!

Old 23rd June 2009, 06:39 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rknize
...a pair of VT-225s strapped as triodes. They sound quite nice. More grunt, like a 300B...not sure if they are as detailed as a 45 though. Need to spend some time with them.
Nope...45s FTW. I was, or rather wasn't, noticing some things in some live recordings. Similar to the 300Bs, the VT-225s sound what I would call "veiled" compared to the 45s that are just so clean sounding. It wasn't until I was listening to some old, live Simon and Garfunkel recordings that I was finally convinced. They are not the best recordings but they just sounded so flat...I thought maybe I was playing the wrong album. It motivated me to go back to the 4-pin sockets. Sure enough...the 45s brought it back.

I'm starting to wonder if it maybe has more to do with the higher operating voltages when running 300Bs and VT-225s. Perhaps some interaction between the coupling cap and the gate capacitance of the MOSFET?

Hide this!Advertise here!