Simple SE with KT88's - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 4th April 2009, 10:27 PM   #191
diyAudio Member

Once the bolts and washers/screws are in place the HS194-ND fits fine......no hacking.
Old 8th April 2009, 05:54 PM   #192
diyAudio Member

Well.... were back in business.

It bothers me that I don't know what went wrong. I have tested and tested and compared measurments to the new transformer. And everything checked out the same.

I had a bad feeling that it might not be the transformer. But regardless I figurded I would wire it up and flip the switch. All the tubes lit and everything seemed fine. Weird.

I'm just glad to have it back. I listen to it daily so being with out it SUCKS!!

Thanks for everybodys help.

Nick
Old 9th April 2009, 11:11 PM   #193
dubdub is offline dubdub  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You'd be surprised on what can go wrong-when I finished my Simple SE i was scratching my head for ages trying to figure out why 1 channel was not playing any sound...turned out it was my ipod's left channel giving away

It makes great sounds now with jj el34 in tirode, transcendar opt, obbligato 70uf cap and ...and a sony mp3 walkman
Old 17th April 2009, 10:46 AM   #194
diyAudio Member

Default output tranny ???

Anybody try the Magnequest 10 watt Robin Hood RH-60's? Would the 15 watt RH80 be required?
Old 17th April 2009, 12:51 PM   #195
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dubdub
You'd be surprised on what can go wrong-when I finished my Simple SE i was scratching my head for ages trying to figure out why 1 channel was not playing any sound...turned out it was my ipod's left channel giving away

It makes great sounds now with jj el34 in tirode, transcendar opt, obbligato 70uf cap and ...and a sony mp3 walkman

Yeah. I'm just glad its back. I still don't know what caused the problem. I'm just hoping it was a QC issue with the transformer. The new one hasn't missed a beat..

I think I'll be trying some EL34's pretty soon. I 've noticed a lot of people here like them with the SSE.....

Nick
Old 15th May 2009, 11:02 PM   #196
diyAudio Member

I can check again if need be. But the last time I checked my B+ voltage was around 489 volts.

My question is. Can I run EL34's with a B+ voltage this high? Or do I need to take it down a little?

If I need to take it down a little. What size resistor do I need to be looking at. I believe there is a 560ohm resistor in there now. What ever George recommends on his site is whats in there.

I have an itch to try some El34's.....

Nick
Old 15th May 2009, 11:39 PM   #197
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
I think it will be a little on the hot side for them. 680 or 750 would be a better choice. 560 is a little hot on my amp, which has about 460 B+. Not plate glowing or anything, but pushing them hard.
Old 15th May 2009, 11:51 PM   #198
diyAudio Member

Thanks!

Nick
Old 19th May 2009, 05:57 PM   #199
diyAudio Member

My SSE only has 8 ohm taps.

What would happen if I ran a 4 or 5 ohm speaker?

Nick
Old 19th May 2009, 06:46 PM   #200
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
I can't remember which OPTs you have. If you put a 6-ohm load on the 8-ohm secondary, you can then apply that factor to the primary. So if you have a 5000 ohm primary, the tubes will see a 3750 ohm load.

Of course, it's not quite that simple. Since the transformer was designed for a certain primary impedance, doing this will saturate the core more than intended and so forth. If you are keeping well under the power rating of the OPT, then you should be able to get away with it. When you push it, you will start getting more distortion than you would have otherwise. Adding CFB can help compensate for this a bit.

Hide this!Advertise here!