Tubelab SimpleSE: Edcor XSE15-8-5K or XSE25-16-7.6K? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 23rd January 2009, 12:12 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

The voltages will probably be closer too... The Edcors don't hum either (that I know of).
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:54 AM   #22
pchw is offline pchw  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pukka
I know, I meant provided proper Rk and CCS adjustments... I still have to buy the parts.
Ah, ok. My assumption was that you would use the SimpleSE board.
ECC81 is a twin triode, and 5842 is a single triode which means you need 2 of these, but then there is only one 9-pin on board. It is going to be a lot of fun to run wires off the board onto 2 external 9-pin sockets. Or, you are doing wire-2-wire which gives a lot more freedom.
Old 23rd January 2009, 01:21 AM   #23
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
George, you mention in the tubelab.com pages that the 5842 was your favourite tube, I've found Raytheon JAN at same prices that most ECC81, are they preferred against regular ECC81?

I would just suggest building it as designed. This really is a great amp. The ECC81 works fine. For what it is worth, I have tried some GE NOS, Mullard and JJ ECC81/12AT7 and really could not tell the difference. Biggest difference was with output valves. EL34 more detailed midrange and KT88 better bass. I would send Edcor a brief email asking about the GXSE transformers. Someone has mentioned that it may have more leakage inductance to give guitar sound. I am not sure if that was an assumption, or solid knowledge. I am pretty sure that a member on this forum asked Edcor and they gave the information that they had not built the GXSE for distortion, but that it was beefier than the XSE series so that it could extend from 70Hz (the XSE) to 40Hz. If I were to build another one and was looking for good value output iron (as compared to the best quality at whatever price), then I would probably pick the GXSE15-8-5K.

Chris
Old 23rd January 2009, 02:01 PM   #24
pukka is offline pukka  Spain
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pchw

Ah, ok. My assumption was that you would use the SimpleSE board.
ECC81 is a twin triode, and 5842 is a single triode which means you need 2 of these, but then there is only one 9-pin on board. It is going to be a lot of fun to run wires off the board onto 2 external 9-pin sockets. Or, you are doing wire-2-wire which gives a lot more freedom.
Ouuuuch!!!! no way...yes, I'll use tubelab's PCB. didn't know it was a single triode. Thanks for clearing that!

Quote:
Originally posted by chrish

I would just suggest building it as designed. This really is a great amp. The ECC81 works fine. For what it is worth, I have tried some GE NOS, Mullard and JJ ECC81/12AT7 and really could not tell the difference.

I see, I'll use a JJ12AT7 then.

Quote:
Biggest difference was with output valves. EL34 more detailed midrange and KT88 better bass. I would send Edcor a brief email asking about the
I'll get EH KT88 after reading tubelab's reviews... blue glow is a plus

Quote:
GXSE transformers. Someone has mentioned that it may have more leakage inductance to give guitar sound. I am not sure if that was an assumption, or solid knowledge. I am pretty sure that a member on this forum asked Edcor and they gave the information that they had not built the GXSE for distortion, but that it was beefier than the XSE series so that it could extend from 70Hz (the XSE) to 40Hz. If I were to build another one and was looking for good value output iron (as compared to the best quality at whatever price), then I would probably pick the GXSE15-8-5K.
Chris
Ouch... decisions, decisions... XSE is the known one, GXSE the yet to know theoretical better one.

You have both and can compare, that will clear things a lot!!!

Crystal clear, harshness free medium & highs is essential for me, I can't stand the minimum graininess in that area...
Old 23rd January 2009, 04:36 PM   #25
jjkl is offline jjkl  Spain
diyAudio Member

Hi, Pukka, I see that you live in Spain, if you live near La Corua, you could try my pair of Edcor CXSE25-8-5K that im going to use in my Simple SE. please send me a private mail.
Juanjo
Old 23rd January 2009, 08:05 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Hi Juanjo, thanks for the offer!!! your profile settings prevent me from PM'ing you...

I asked Edcor directly. This was the answer:

Quote:
I see there's a GXSE15-8-5K OPT that is theoretically for guitar amps. Will this OPT perform better on a SimpleSE amp than the XSE? I see it goes lower on bass (40Hz vs 70Hz) but will it perform with equal performance on mids and highs on that application?
Edcor:
Quote:
The GXSE will perform the same as the XSE only difference is that the GXSE has better low. But highs and such are the same.

I'm tempted to buy both sets and if GXSE aren't up to the task use them in guitar amps, but right now I'm broken and need to slow down, you know, you start to experiment and everything snowballs, and you end up spending much more than needed, it happened to me in the past

My target is to build the best SE for the money and I believe I can build 2 for less than 250€ each. Hehe, that's less than some OPTs cost!!!
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:51 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Ouuuuch!!!! no way...yes, I'll use tubelab's PCB. didn't know it was a single triode. Thanks for clearing that!

I see, I'll use a JJ12AT7 then.

I'll get EH KT88 after reading tubelab's reviews... blue glow is a plus

Ouch... decisions, decisions... XSE is the known one, GXSE the yet to know theoretical better one.

You have both and can compare, that will clear things a lot!!!

Crystal clear, harshness free medium & highs is essential for me, I can't stand the minimum graininess in that area...

If you want clear mids and highs, the JJ E34Ls are the way to go (they are better at handling high voltages than the EL34s). They cost half what the KT88s do too...
Old 31st January 2009, 02:12 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

I'm ordering everything right now...

I went finally with the GXSE's.

I'm thinking on ordering JJ EL34L's, JJ ECC81's, Sino or Sovtek's 5AR4 and one set of EH KT88.

I wonder, will the Genalex Gold Lion reissue make a difference from the EH's with the GSXE's? will they be worth? In such case, what's a good, not too conservative bias point for them? I was going to run the EH's KT88 at B+ 450V, 5K OPT and 430 Rk, that's about 36Watts power disipation. Do the Genalex take it w/o issues?

What would be a sweet spot for the Genalex/GSXEs taking into account the Edcor OPT's seem to "sing" better at high currents?

About to send the Digikey's order, apart from inrush limiters like CL-90 to save on wimpy current production 5AR4's, are there any other recommended components not mentioned in tubelab.com? I won't use standby switch nor SS diodes.
Old 31st January 2009, 04:41 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

They have good prices on 2-3 watt metal films (PR03 series) and lytic capacitors if you don't have them already. One of my preferred vendors as well...
Old 31st January 2009, 09:58 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

With the JJs, you can get EL34 and E34L. The E34L has higher voltage rating and is what I am using FWIW...

Hide this!Advertise here!