• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Kaidee's Simple SE Build Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Circuit breaker as on/ off

I bought 5 of these on fleabay. Is this too cheezy to use as an switch and fuse in one for my Simple SE?

Allen Bradley 1492-CB1G020 Breaker 2 Amp
Allen Bradley 1492-CB1G020 Breaker 2 Amp - eBay (item 320436647668 end time May-14-10 06:58:18 PDT)
I got the idea from a Ty_Bower post (#60 this thread)
My experience with the SSE has shown this amp puts stress on current production 5AR4's and ends up burning though more than a few 2 amp fuses in the process.
Mounting will be a challenge. Other than aesthetics, these are Swiss made and likely good for 10,000 throws.
Though:)ts?

My experience with the SSE has shown this amp puts stress on current production 5AR4's and ends up burning though more than a few 2 amp fuses

Yup, the circuit breakers are ugly and mounting is tricky. They want to snap onto a DIN rail, not get bolted to the back side of a chassis. I've found the tactile feel of a circuit breaker isn't as pleasant as switch, but I suppose that's an aesthetic thing. I guess it would work just fine. There will be a temptation to simply reset the breaker for the seventh time it trips, and that's probably not a good thing.

If you are finding the rectifier tube is stressed, you need to try one (or more) of the following things:

1) Get a better quality rectifier. Blackburn Mullards seem to come highly recommended (and have an asking price to match).

2) Put some solid state rectifier diodes (UF4007) in series with the plates of the rectifier tube. There's a thread around which discusses the topic.

3) Reduce the capacitance of the first cap (the one immediately after the rectifier). The Simple SE schematic calls for a 47 uF part, which is at the upper limit for a good 5AR4. Try a 33 uF (or lower) cap instead. A smaller cap increases the conduction angle (?) presented to the power transformer, which makes it happier too.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.