• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Tubelab SE oscillation?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Tubelab SE has been doing well since replacing FRED diode with Fairchild's "stealth" diode however, I've been noticing faint buzz from my speakers. When I turn the amp on, it's very quiet. Then about 5 minutes later I can hear "tic" at about 1 second interval. Then the pace picks up gradually and in about 20 minutes or so, it becomes buzzing sound. It's not loud but it concerns me because it wasn't like that before. Is this an oscillation?

I've had the ticking happen in guitar amps (which did not have vibrato, although that'll sometimes tick). It was coming from nearby electronics, in my case, although it may have been coming in through the mains. I moved, and the problem stayed behind, thankfully. What kind of source are you using? If I connect one of my computers as a source to one of my amps, I get horrible ticking as well as radio frequency detection. I thought it was my amp for a long while, until I plugged the computer into some commercial equipment I have and it does the same damn thing, albeit a bit fainter. Have you tried flicking the tubes to check for microphonics?

It sounds to me like an oscillation that begins very slowly and eventually runs away, turning into a buzz. Is the only thing that was changed the diode(s)? I'm gathering if they were a pair before, you've likely replaced them both, as that could have an effect.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.