YASSE - Yet Another Simple SE Build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 2nd November 2008, 01:40 AM   #1
N1ESE is offline N1ESE  United States
diyAudio Member

Default YASSE - Yet Another Simple SE Build

Well, time has come for me to start my own Tubelab.com Simple SE build thread. I ordered the board earlier this morning and George has already replied saying the board has shipped. How's that for customer service on a Saturday?

I've also ordered transformers, tubes, and most of the other components. I'm going to be running the following:

Hammond 374BX Power Transformer
Hammond 193D 8H, 150ma Choke
Edcor CXSE25-8-5K OPT's
ASC Metal Poly "Motor Run" Cap, 50 uF 440VAC

Tubes:
EH KT88's - Have a pair of cheap EL34's for initial "smoke testing"
EH 12AT7
Chinese GZ34/5AR4

More later, I'm sure.
Old 2nd November 2008, 02:39 AM   #2
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

I think you may have under specified your choke. KT88s are going to pull almost 80mA each if you use the recommended 560R cathode resistor. From memory, the constant current source for the 12AT7 is running around 10mA per side. That is going to be around 180mA total. Your choke is rated at 8H 150mA. Inductance will reduce with increasing current. Why not use a 193H 5H 200mA or 193J 10H 200mA?

80uF 500VAC motor run caps here foe $12. Work well, have used them several times.

Good luck with the project!

Chris
Old 2nd November 2008, 02:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrish
I think you may have under specified your choke. KT88s are going to pull almost 80mA each if you use the recommended 560R cathode resistor. From memory, the constant current source for the 12AT7 is running around 10mA per side. That is going to be around 180mA total. Your choke is rated at 8H 150mA. Inductance will reduce with increasing current. Why not use a 193H 5H 200mA or 193J 10H 200mA?
Hmm, good point. You are probably right. Guess I better email AES to change my order before they ship.
Old 2nd November 2008, 03:53 AM   #4
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

http://stores.ebay.com/Capacitor-and-Craft-Farm

Sorry, that was the link I tried to post above.....
Old 2nd November 2008, 04:11 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link Chris. Shipping @ $12.45 seems a bit much though. It can't weigh more than a pound, USPS tells me $4.80 from them to me. I already have the 50 uF, 440VAC unit I'll use for now. It can handle much more in DC voltage.
Old 2nd November 2008, 06:16 AM   #6
DimZ is offline DimZ  Greece
diyAudio Member

Hi N1ESE, George replied to me too, my pcb's are on their way to Greece ....

have allready orderd from digikey the parts list and I'm trying to decide the transformers/choke combo

so far it looks like the 374BX is gonna be the power, the 193J the choke and probably the 1628 the output

good luck with ypur project ....
Old 2nd November 2008, 07:33 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

That's great jimazz. I've ordered everything except for my Edcor CXSE outputs. I have to call them first thing Monday morning to place my order. You should like the 1628SEA's if you go with them. I know George really likes those.
Old 2nd November 2008, 01:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You should like the 1628SEA's if you go with them. I know George really likes those.
After having some extended listening time with both transformers I like the Edcor CXSE's better than the Hammonds. The high frequency response is better on the Edcors. When auditioned on efficient speakers where the average power is low there is clarity and detail on the Edcors that just isn't there on the Hammonds. The Edcor is a more efficient transformer as well allowing slightly more power from the same amplifier as the Hammond. When cranked to the max the Hammonds have better bass and less distortion, but how often do you listen this way?
Old 2nd November 2008, 02:13 PM   #9
DimZ is offline DimZ  Greece
diyAudio Member

You think that the Edcor CXSE25-8-5K OPT's should be better with the 374BX for the simple se , with 8ohm speakers ?? What about 6ohm??

I see edcor has a dealer in Europe (Belgium), so I must mail them for info ....
Old 2nd November 2008, 02:53 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tubelab.com
When cranked to the max the Hammonds have better bass and less distortion, but how often do you listen this way?
I hardly ever listen that way. I usually turn it up till it explodes - then back up just a little.

Hide this!Advertise here!