• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

tubelab se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hammond transformers (Canada) have been around a very, very long time and their quality has always been outstanding, especially the older stuff. Those had a reputation that you could push them 1.5 times over their nameplate ratings safely because of their very conservative design.

thanks ,

how much does the 374BX cost there ??

cause maybe it would be better for me to order it form Canada ...

as all the times that I have ordered stuff from U.S.A mainly, they were much more cheaper (even with the shiping cost) than buying them from greece ..

They are $107.80 USD + shipping here in the states @ AES. If I was overseas, I don't think I'd mind paying $150. Good luck with your project, I'm ordering mine and all the parts on Monday. Be sure to check out Ty's thread on his Simple SE build. He has a lot of good info documented. There are numerous other Simple SE threads as well that I have found very helpful as well.

N1ESE said:
They are $107.80 USD + shipping here in the states @ AES. If I was overseas, I don't think I'd mind paying $150. Good luck with your project, I'm ordering mine and all the parts on Monday. Be sure to check out Ty's thread on his Simple SE build. He has a lot of good info documented. There are numerous other Simple SE threads as well that I have found very helpful as well.

notice that 165$ has the 372JX in greece not the 374BX, if the 108 $ price is for the 374 there is a huge gap ......

i checked out Ty's thread, very useful indeed ....

and good luck to u too

Don't know if its any help to you but I was having trouble sourcing the 4 pin pcb mount sockets. I found that if you take the collar off a chassis mount tube socket the lugs fit right into the pcb holes. Not sure if this is common knowledge but it was a little epiphany for me.

While I'm sure the 372JX is a very good power transformer, it is a 600VCT unit. You'll end up with a B+ somewhere around 350VDC. The 374BX is a 750VCT unit (more like 780VCT with no load on it) and will give you a B+ around 455VDC.

Either choice will make for a fine Simple SE power supply, but your choice may depend on what tubes you've selected for your outputs. If you intend to run 6V6, stay away from the 374BX. If you want to run KT88, I'd recommend the higher voltage to get the most out of your tubes.

Ty_Bower said:
While I'm sure the 372JX is a very good power transformer, it is a 600VCT unit. You'll end up with a B+ somewhere around 350VDC. The 374BX is a 750VCT unit (more like 780VCT with no load on it) and will give you a B+ around 455VDC.

Either choice will make for a fine Simple SE power supply, but your choice may depend on what tubes you've selected for your outputs. If you intend to run 6V6, stay away from the 374BX. If you want to run KT88, I'd recommend the higher voltage to get the most out of your tubes.

tho I have a pp with 6v6 i'm thinking of using kt88, so 374bx is better??

jimazz said:
tho I have a pp with 6v6 i'm thinking of using kt88, so 374bx is better??

I'm using the 374BX on mine and I highly suggest you do the same (if available over there), as Ty suggested, to get the most out of the KT88's. Just don't use the 6V6's if the 374BX is wired in. The 374BX should be fine though, someone correct me if wrong, with EL34's and 6L6GC's along with the very lovely KT88's.

For KT88 I'd suggest a 750VCT power transformer, such as the 374BX or Allied 6K7VG. I'm not sure the Allied would work for you - it needs 120 volt 60 Hz for the primary winding.

Make sure your power supply capacitors are rated for 500VDC. I'd probably avoid the solid state FRED rectifier diodes. The startup surge voltage is too high for my liking, and the output tubes get hit with a lot of B+ while the cathodes are still cold. Stick with a 5AR4 rectifier tube instead.

560 ohm cathode resistors work well for KT88 at this voltage. You could probably safely drive them harder with 510 ohm or 470 ohm cathode resistors too, although you're already pretty close to the rated current limit of the 374BX using the 560 ohm cathode resistors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.