• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

tubelab se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ty_Bower said:
such as the 374BX or Allied 6K7VG.

Wow, I just checked the price of the Allied 750VCT transformer and it's $61 cheaper than the Hammond 374BX at AES. I knew they were cheaper but didn't realize it was that much cheaper. That's a nice set of output tubes difference. I know George likes Allied power transformers, I may have to think about this again before ordering my 374BX.

Ty_Bower said:
If you decide to go the Allied route, don't forget to grab your Triad C-14X choke from them too.

Yeah, tough decision. I decided wisely to splurge on really nice outputs so saving some money on the power side would be nice. My original plan was all Hammond for power and choke.

374BX & 193J Choke from AES: $142.00
6K7VG & C-14X Choke from Allied: $62.00

That's a significant price difference. Not sure what to do.

chrish said:
If you are in Greece, your mains voltage will be 220-230volts, so I don't think that cheap Allied transformer would work as I think it only has primaries for 110-120 volts.

Yeah, jimazz is going to have to go with a Hammond with universal primary. 374BX is the best bet for him.

as George told me the hammonds are good but he prefers edcor better, so no hammonds for me

three options left

1. Edcor CXSE25-8-5K

2. Transcendar 5k- 8 ohm 10W wit UL tap

3. Transcendar 5k- 8 ohm 15W with UL tap with taps for both 4 ohm and 8 ohm

edcor or transcendar ??

btw, the pcb's arrived yesterday (ty George) and the stuff from digikey .....

jimazz said:
2. Transcendar 5k- 8 ohm 10W wit UL tap

That's what I put on my Simple SE. I paid about $100 for the pair. The performance is very good, and I'd be surprised if you could get better for the same money.

The Edcor CXSE is probably a better transformer, but it is larger and more expensive.

I wasn't aware there was a 15W Transcendar transformer with multiple output taps.

The output transformers are the soul of your amp. This is the one area of the amp where you want to splurge the most if you can. If it's $200 for the Transcenders and $250 for the Edcors, I'd likely go for the Edcors. This was essentially the same debate I was having when I was trying to decide between the GXSE and CXSE. Georges comments I linked above lead me to go to with the CXSE.

I'm already planning my second amp and that will have partial silver Electra-Prints. :cool:

Finally all parts in hand

pcb populated and tested by a friend of mine , ok

top plate ready, Monday I go for the woods

Attachments

• pcb1.jpg
    pcb1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 523
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.