tubelab se - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 18th January 2009, 09:17 PM   #51
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

Did you fit the solid state diodes to the board? If so, it may be worth checking that they are not destroyed. This is a common problem with the Simple SE. I would suggest removing the solid state diodes and purchase a new 5AR4. My JJ rectifier tube did the same thing, and the solid state diodes were destroyed. For me this was associated with the use of the standby switch. I removed the standby switch and the solid state diodes and replaced the rectifier tube (with a Sovtek 5AR4) and have had completely trouble free operation for over a year.
Old 18th January 2009, 09:49 PM   #52
DimZ is offline DimZ  Greece
diyAudio Member

no solid state diodes, no standby switch

as for the rectifier tube, I am waiting a sovtek on Wensday, and probably order tomorrow 1-2 more, I;ll check ebay first thing in the morning

next time I think I'll take a video of the fireworks (though I hope they dont happen), it was awasome and scary ....
Old 18th January 2009, 11:30 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

If you are in a 230/240 volt country a 1 amp fuse should be sufficient. I use a 2 amp fuse here in 120 volt land. The likely cause for fireworks is the rectifier tube itself. A larger fuse can make life really unhappy for things like transformers.
Old 19th January 2009, 06:46 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

i am in a 230/240 , I'll buy some 1A fuses, and test the amp again tonight, I'll try to find more rectifier tubes from friends and try them out ...
Old 19th January 2009, 02:21 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

removed the supl cap, with 1A fuse, no fireworks just sparks at about 15sec after switching - blown fuse

after 30 minutes with 1.8A fuse some sparks about 10 sec and more after 30 sec - blown fuse

tomorow I;ll get a gz34 from a friend and try it .... maybe its just the JJ
Old 19th January 2009, 03:23 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jimazz
removed the supl cap, with 1A fuse, no fireworks just sparks at about 15sec after switching - blown fuse

after 30 minutes with 1.8A fuse some sparks about 10 sec and more after 30 sec - blown fuse

tomorow I;ll get a gz34 from a friend and try it .... maybe its just the JJ
If a new rectifier tube just sparked, it suggests that something else is wrong in the amp circuit. If it's the one that sparked previously, you don't want to use it anymore.
Old 19th January 2009, 03:49 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

update

I tried 2 more times to power the amp

1st time (1A fuse) sparks after 40-45 sec - blown fuse

2nd time (2.5A fuse) no sparks at all , after 2 minutes I turned on the cd player and played a cd, bad blury sound and lot of disortion ...... put a sacd - the same bad sound, and after 2-3 minutes of bad sound , a spark in the tube along with a pop and blown fuse

no more for tonight, I'll wait to get some more rectifier tubes ...

Evenharmonics - it has been the same rectifier tube , which Iam going to bury in the backyard ---- rip
Old 19th January 2009, 07:30 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

following a friends advice

1- removed the rectifier tube, powered on - el34 alive - no blown fuse

2- turned it off - put the rectifier back on - fired up - very little spark - no blown fuse - plays quite nice (not like the first time , but the motor run cap is out)

the 3d step was in case of a blown fuse at step 2 to change the rectifier tube - if it blew the fuse again then it wouldnt have been the rectifier but maybe the caps

anyway I didnt have to go to step 3 ....

is been playing like that for 30 minutes now - everything seems to be working ok ....... just not the sound of the first day ....

?????????????
Old 20th January 2009, 01:47 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

just switched to another rectifier tube (5U4gb) .... no sparks and everything ok

no JJ anymore for me ..................

Hide this!Advertise here!