Long time lurker - first build a tubelab Simple SE - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 3rd October 2008, 02:50 AM   #51
diyAudio Member

Go buy a filter choke, like the Triad C-14X or a Hammond P-T159Q.

I used the 159Q in my Simple SE. My speakers are Paradigm 7se Mk3. If I recall correctly, they are 92 dB efficient. If you want to hear my Simple SE humming, you need to have your ear within an inch of the woofer and hold your breath.

Oh, I went and checked the PSU simulation again. With a 150 ohm resistor expect 1.03 volt ripple on the B+. Adding an extra 90uF to the second cap shows 0.74 ripple. Using a 7H, 100 ohm choke (without the extra cap) reduces the ripple to 0.03 volts.
Old 3rd October 2008, 03:00 AM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What does the peanut gallery have to say about the choke and the supplemental capacitor? ..... For what it's worth, I placed my bet on the choke.
My peanuts go toward the choke also. And I have found that a choke can clean up a power supply better than all of the caps in the world wired together. A choke will reduce the peak circulating AC current. Raising the total capacitance can raise the peak AC currents, and shorten their duration leading to more harmonics.

The $7.74 C-24X choke is better than no choke. I use one in my industrial amp since that is all I could fit under the chassis.
Old 3rd October 2008, 03:08 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

Seeing you have a wood chassis, it's real easy to stick a choke underneath:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 3rd October 2008, 03:48 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

How about the Hammond 159P as a choke for the Simple SE?
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:07 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

I asked that question. It was answered here:
Triad C-14X choke (Simple SE)

The Q is rated for higher current than the P. Either would probably work fine, though. If you already have a P, I'd use it. If you have to order something, go for the Q. Better yet would be something like the 193G, but they're bigger and more expensive.
Old 3rd October 2008, 01:44 PM   #56
cjkpkg is online now cjkpkg  United States
diyAudio Member

I hooked up the run cap and I think that I did notice a slight improvement. I also went ahead and ordered a C-14X choke - I had a 10% off my next allied order...

I also ordered a new top plate since I pretty much destroyed it moving the PS around. Acutally I think it will work out better since I ordered the 10X14 plate instead of the 10X12 one to give me a little more room with everything. I've got some more poplar kicking around too to replace the length pieces.

Measure once, cut twice...thats my motto...

Thanks again guys.
Carl
Old 23rd October 2008, 01:27 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

OK update 10/22

1. New top plate - reconfigured pretty much how everything is mounted...see pics
2. Upgraded to some 715P orange drop coupling caps
3. Installed C-14X choke
4. Removed FREDs - they blew again I think because I they got fubar'd upon trying to desolder the old ones and reinstall the new ones...the 5AR4 is doing a wonderful job
5. Ty was nice enough to hook me up with a couple resistors for R17 and R27 for increased resistance - works great - no more glowing plates on the 6L6GC's.

That is about it...I must say with the choke and the run cap the amp is now DEAD SILENT...

I am now going to take on an Aikido preamp to free up my Yamaha CA-810 for another purpose...

And no, the amp is not plugged into that outlet And I need to make a new chassis back board from moving the outlet.

Old 23rd October 2008, 01:58 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cjkpkg
That is about it...I must say with the choke and the run cap the amp is now DEAD SILENT...
Whoa. That's a big cap.

I've always believed the choke has got a make a big difference in minimizing residual power supply hum. The big cap can't hurt either. Nice looking amp.
Old 25th November 2008, 02:17 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

Well it has been a while and I have finally given the chassis a little makeover...minwax style...

Looking and sounding great!!!

Old 21st December 2008, 05:54 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

Carl,

Nice looking amp. FYI I dropped a Chinese 6L6GC (coke-bottle style) and decided to take it apart for fun. Other than having a somewhat thin glass envelope this tube appears to be solidly constructed. Mica spacers are tightly fitted, welds are clean, and the kicker- gold control grid wire. Now I'm going to make a run on the small-ST shape with brown base on sale at AES.
Thanks for the inspiration.

Probe

Hide this!Advertise here!