diyAudio Member

"The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"

Memories Memories........ 1975-1976

Fat Daddy
Old 24th September 2008, 03:56 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
"The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" Memories Memories........ 1975-1976
I liked the record so much that I bought the CD. Now I play the record again, yes I still have it. And Trick of the Tail, and Selling England by the Pound, and , and Foxtrot, and Seconds Out and Genesis Live (blue cover). Good stuff.

I also have a record called From Genesis to Revelation dated 1969. It has a paper liner with an explanation as to why the group was changing their name to Revelation in America. It features Peter Gabriel, Tony Banks, and Mike Rutherford, no Phil Collins.
Old 1st October 2008, 01:42 AM   #33
cjkpkg is offline cjkpkg  United States
diyAudio Member

Update!!!

I put a chassis together out of poplar and some brass screws and washers - came out pretty nice.

I have it hard wired for UL with cathode feedback for now...I must say that it reallly sounds awesome.

I was not sure before if it could keep up with my yamaha CA-810 amp but I think it could give it a run for the money. I will really have to crank it up sometime when the wife is not directly upstairs trying to get the girls in bed...

Thanks again for all the feedback and ideas. I am very pleased with my first DIY audio project and glad I picked the Simple SE amp to do it with. Very painless process...

Last I measured I was getting about 465 B+ with that Allied 6K7VG...not bad...

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

I still need to add the triode/UL switch and CFB switch, power switch, and fuse. Also I will sand and finish the cabinet. I also got a honkin run cap that I will probably mount on the underside at some point...

Regards,
Carl
Old 1st October 2008, 03:26 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Carl, shouldn't PT and OPT be perpendicular to each other? The way it's shown here.
Unless Allied Elec. does things differently with their PT.
Old 1st October 2008, 04:40 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Nice looking amplifier! Job well done!
Old 1st October 2008, 01:45 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Evenharmonics
Carl, shouldn't PT and OPT be perpendicular to each other? The way it's shown here.
Unless Allied Elec. does things differently with their PT.

Ugh...I guess I will have to see how much of an issue this creates. I played around with rotating the PT and the way I positioned and drilled, it will look like swiss cheese...
Old 1st October 2008, 02:19 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Carl, shouldn't PT and OPT be perpendicular to each other?
If you don't hear hum with your speakers, don't worry about it. If you get some super efficient speakers in the future, you may need to change it.

My original Tubelab SE amp (top picture on my home page) has all 3 transformers lined up in a row, which is pretty much worse case. There was no hum with my 87 db Yamaha speakers which have a limited low frequency response. When I got some bigger speakers with 96 db efficiency and 15 inch woofers, HUM happened and I rotated the power transformer 90 degrees.
Old 1st October 2008, 03:16 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

While I do not have a lot of listening time on it, my Polks which I believe are rated at 93db sounded great.

I will need some real listening time to determine if I have a problem and need to order another plate to redo the top...I think it was only about $10...
Old 1st October 2008, 06:23 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Looks like you can reorient both OPT counterclockwise with only couple of holes visible on the plate. They may become part of the vent features which I don't think it's a bad thing.
Old 2nd October 2008, 01:41 AM   #40
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cjkpkg

I will need some real listening time to determine if I have a problem and need to order another plate to redo the top...I think it was only about $10...
If it's not humming I would not worry about it either, but if it really bugs you, you can use an epoxy filler to fill the extra holes, and then sand it and paint (or not) the chassis.

I am sympathetic to the Swiss Cheese syndrome. My Simple SE started its life on a chassis that was once my first homebrew SSB transceiver. Then I burned up my first power transformer, a choke, and have tried a variety of output transformers on it. It was to the point it almost had more holes than chassis.

Once I had my Tubelab SE up and running, I decided the Simple SE had earned an overhaul, so I stripped it down to bare metal, epoxy filled the extra holes, and sanded and sprayed some new paint on it.

It doesn't look as good as a fresh chassis, but it's not bad.

Nice amp by the way!

Win W5JAG

Hide this!Advertise here!