Long time lurker - first build a tubelab Simple SE - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 28th August 2008, 02:15 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Yes. For operation under 350 volts R14 and R24 should be eliminated. Replace them with a jumper wire. These resistors were added to lower the dissipation in the CCS at high B+ voltages. Distortion is seen with some 12AT7's with these resistors on low B+ voltages.
Old 28th August 2008, 02:22 AM   #12
cjkpkg is offline cjkpkg  United States
diyAudio Member

I see about the power supply. Would I be better of sticking with the 6L6's and cutting back the resistance on R17 and R27 or maybe trying a pair of EL34's?
Old 28th August 2008, 02:28 AM   #13
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Sorry fore a small negative remark but while some of your solder joints looks perfect, some others looks not so good(cold soldering ?)...would be a shame if such a nice amp fails because of that
Old 28th August 2008, 05:22 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default (Human) off topic...

Quote:
Originally posted by tubelab.com
I have been recovering from surgery so I missed the start of this thread. I am not even supposed to be out of bed now, so I will be seen here sporadically over the next few days.
Wish you a good recover George (& thanks for your previous efforts on diyaudio.com!)!
Cheers,
Old 28th August 2008, 08:03 PM   #15
waam68 is offline waam68  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I was reading George's comments today & realised I had a 12AU7 & not an 12AT7 in my Simple SE as the driver... when I got home today I dug into the junk box & found a NOS Brimar AT7.....what a revelation...sound was good before...but a bit thin with some music...much more of a warm sound & bass with the AT7...I'm running a Hammond 374BX, EL34's & the stock resistors & a 1960 russian 5U4. I guess I wasn't paying attention when I built it 6 months ago!
Old 28th August 2008, 09:08 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by waam68
... I guess I wasn't paying attention when I built it 6 months ago!
Can I interest you in a career in the automotive manufacturing industry?
Old 28th August 2008, 09:33 PM   #17
waam68 is offline waam68  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the offer.. but I'll stick to designing nuclear reactors
Old 28th August 2008, 09:54 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by waam68
I was reading George's comments today & realised I had a 12AU7 & not an 12AT7 in my Simple SE as the driver...
I've been thinking about intentionally trying a 12AU7 in the driver tube position. I think it might work better if R10 and R20 were changed to 1000 ohm (instead of 220). That should get the grid about -10 volts from cathode, and put the line into what looks like a more linear region. It'll also keep the dissipation up to about the same as what George designed for the 12AT7.

What I don't understand is how it will impact the driver's output impedance. I think the relationship between that and the final's input impedance is what ultimately affects the amplifiers overall bandwidth.

Why would I want to do this? Well, the 12AT7 just has a lot more gain than I feel like I really need. It can swing 50 volts with a 1 volt input. While you need this much to fully drive a KT88, I don't think it's necessary for a 6L6 or an EL34. I think they only need about 35 volts. Besides, most of the time I like to listen to it quietly. I'd like to have a little more range of motion in the volume knob.
Old 31st August 2008, 07:59 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Update...I finished soldering everything to the board.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

I think I will take George's advice and upgrade the power transformer to the 6K7VG. Hopefully Allied has a decent return policy.

I received the top plate from mouser, a Hammond 10X12 unit man I can not wait to get everything mounted!

I am traveling for work to Belgium all next week so hopefully when I get back I'll have my upgraded power transformer and my Edcor OPT's.

Thanks for the advice.
Carl
Old 7th September 2008, 03:49 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Got the 6K7VG hooked up and I am having some problems...

Yellow = 540V
Red = 414V
Red/Yel = 0
Green = 35V

Something seems very wrong with this, any ideas?

Hide this!Advertise here!