• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Triad C-14X choke (Simple SE)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Triad C-14X - 6H, 200 mA, 150 ohms
http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?SKU=9671006

The C-14X is available for a reasonable price from Allied Electronics. However, I'm planning a purchase from AES. To save a couple bucks on shipping I'm willing to pay a little more for a Hammond choke. Which Hammond choke is most like the C-14X?
  • P-T159Q 7 H, 150 mA, 100 ohms
  • P-T159P 10 H, 125 mA, 155 ohms
http://www.hammondmfg.com/153.htm

Hammond says, "Units will exhibit less inductance at slightly higher currents or more at lower currents." Does this suggest the 159P is going to be able to handle a 200 mA load, but will end up closer to 6H at that current? How is it that the Allied choke and the Hammond chokes are the same size and weight, but have substantially different specifications?

I'm planning to put this in a Tubelab Simple SE.

Does this suggest the 159P is going to be able to handle a 200 mA load, but will end up closer to 6H at that current?

Any choke will exhibit less inductance as the current rises. It will also reach a saturation point where the inductance drops sharply. At 200 mA it might be 9H or it might be 1H or less. There is no way to tell from the published specs, and each one will behave slightly different.

How is it that the Allied choke and the Hammond chokes are the same size and weight, but have substantially different specifications?

All three chokes may have similar sized cores, but each one must have a different number of turns wound with a different size wire. The inductance is mostly a matter of the number of turns. The DC resistance is a function of the wire size and its total length. The current carrying capability is a function of the number of turns, the gap size and the core material. The manufacturer will juggle all of these parameters to get the desired result.

For a Simple SE I would use the 159Q since most amplifiers draw about 150 mA. The exception might be a 6V6 amp.

What power transformer are you planning on using? Many builders use the Hammond 274BX. If this is your plan it might be cheaper to get the Allied 6K7VG and the Triad choke from Allied and the other stuff from AES. If you are going to spring for the 374BX then AES is the way to go.

What OPT's?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.