Another Simple SE builder - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 30th October 2008, 08:12 AM   #81
diyAudio Member

You might want to pay a little more money fro the GXSE transformers to get some more low end extension.
Old 30th October 2008, 01:29 PM   #82
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't use the JJ 5ar4. The Chinese tubes are probably the best bet for new production right now.
Old 30th October 2008, 01:36 PM   #83
n_maher is offline n_maher  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Davec113
I wouldn't use the JJ 5ar4. The Chinese tubes are probably the best bet for new production right now.

Care to elaborate on this Dave? I've heard a couple rumors about a bad batch of JJ 5AR4's but those rumors also came from someone who was power cycling an amp with warmed up output tubes that were probably causing the tube to arc for reasons other than shoddy construction.

I've used a pair off an on for 6 months in a power supply that runs them pretty hard and provided that I don't try to hot-start the amp they've never been a problem.
Old 30th October 2008, 01:46 PM   #84
diyAudio Member

I've had one short on cool down in my preamp, blowing a ps resistor and fuse a couple times before I figured out whats going on. You can search the forums and find many more comments. Its mostly issues about them shorting.
Old 30th October 2008, 02:07 PM   #85
n_maher is offline n_maher  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I'll do some searching.

I've only heard positive things about the TAD 5AR4 sold by AES and it's cheap enough at ~$20 a tube that I'll probably try it out in my SimpleSE during the testing phase. I have some other nice rectifiers to use once it's up and running.

One other rectifier related question - I haven't looked into it all that closely yet but has anyone else looked at using a 5U4 in the power supply? I know there are some applications where they are an acceptable substitute for each other but that it is not always the case. I think the 5U4 would result in lower Vout but that's all that comes to mind initially.
Old 30th October 2008, 02:30 PM   #86
diyAudio Member

The TAD is a Chinese tube, although its supposed to be a heavy duty version... probably a good choice.
Old 30th October 2008, 03:10 PM   #87
diyAudio Member

I agree that the GXSE15-8-5K is probably a better option for output.

If I could do it over I would use a Hammond 374BX too. I've been using a B-stock Sovtek 5AR4 with no problems for almost a year as well.
Old 30th October 2008, 03:21 PM   #88
N1ESE is offline N1ESE  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wrenchone
You might want to pay a little more money fro the GXSE transformers to get some more low end extension.
You are quite right and they are only $10 more each so a pair of GXSE15-8-5K it is then.

Dave, thanks for the heads up on the 5AR4. I buy all my tubes for my amateur radio projects from Jim McShane and he has some Chinese 5AR4's I will consider instead.
Old 30th October 2008, 05:47 PM   #89
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whitelabrat
I agree that the GXSE15-8-5K is probably a better option for output.

Would these work for audio? It mentions that these are made for guitar amps. Just wondering what the differences are...

It does go a bit lower though which is nice.
Old 30th October 2008, 05:55 PM   #90
diyAudio Member

They're beefier XSE's in a nutshell. The 15watt rating is probably conservative since they'll probably be in for a beating in a guitar amp.

I have to confess I've never heard them firsthand though. My info is second hand.

Hide this!Advertise here!