Another Simple SE builder - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 17th October 2008, 03:26 PM   #71
n_maher is offline n_maher  United States
diyAudio Member

Ty,

First, thanks for putting all of your build thoughts into a thread, I've referred to it frequently as I meander my way through my own simplese build. I did have one quick thought about the mechanical noise problem that you described - why not isolate the trafo mechanically from the chassis rather than floating the board? I typically do this on builds where iron and tubes are in close proximity and there's a concern of noise transmission. Here's a picture of my simple chassis as it sits right now, the blue grommets are isolation types from McMaster Carr. I can get you the part number if you're interested.

Overall Shot
Click the image to open in full size.

Power Trafo Closeup
Old 17th October 2008, 03:32 PM   #72
diyAudio Member

n_maher, that was my strategy as well. I used 3/16" thick high density industrial felt (SAE grade F3). I cut "gaskets" for the pt, opts, and choke. Its operating temp is rated at 200 deg F, or just under 100 C.

Dave
Old 17th October 2008, 03:41 PM   #73
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Davec113
n_maher, that was my strategy as well. I used 3/16" thick high density industrial felt (SAE grade F3). I cut "gaskets" for the pt, opts, and choke. Its operating temp is rated at 200 deg F, or just under 100 C.

Dave
Dave,

That's a good suggestion and would clearly work as well. I just happened to have some of the grommets leftover from another project that involved some big iron. I have a soft spot for big iron.

Nate
Old 17th October 2008, 04:33 PM   #74
diyAudio Member

Wow. That is a big piece of iron.

Thanks for the comments on my project. I'm glad you like it. As far as rubber washers are concerned, I ended up using them both on the board and under the PT. I think they do the most good under the PT. I believe it's still worthwhile using them on the board if for no other reason than they are cheaper than buying the 1/2" metal standoffs. They certainly can't hurt any.

Another tip I discovered (after I finished building mine, of course) is that the "preferred" orientation of the output transformers be like those on the Eico HF-87. That is, the laminations of the OT be parallel to each other, not all in the same plane. To explain with pictures,

Do this:

Not this:

It supposedly reduces the signal induced in one OT due to stray field leaked from the other, improving channel separation.
Old 17th October 2008, 05:11 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

Yeah, the BFT-1B is a hunk along with the Hammond 193q choke. That power supply is, uh, not portable.

And bummer for me regarding the output trafo orientation, wish I'd known that I'd drilled all of the mounting holes. The question now is whether or not to buy another chassis or keep going with this one knowing that it's less than ideal...
Old 17th October 2008, 08:54 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

BFT? How clever.

Quote:
Originally posted by n_maher
And bummer for me regarding the output trafo orientation, wish I'd known that I'd drilled all of the mounting holes. The question now is whether or not to buy another chassis or keep going with this one knowing that it's less than ideal...
I'd keep going, and not worry about it. I'm sure the difference is insignificant. Someday I'm going to put a dummy resistive load on one channel of my Simple SE, and crank a signal into the channel. Then I'll listen to see how much bleeds into the other channel. I'm betting it isn't much. There's probably a certain amount of crosstalk that occurs in the 12AT7 itself that you can't do anything about.

Besides, sometimes the theoretical ideal transformer layout isn't. I've heard of cases where people have demonstrated theoretically sub-optimal alignments, but the coupling between transformers (or lack thereof) was measurably better. Go figure.
Old 17th October 2008, 11:57 PM   #77
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ty_Bower
BFT? How clever.
It's one of the more appropriate names I've come across. http://www.one-electron.com/Trans/BFT1B_11.pdf

And thanks for the words of encouragement, I hope to log some serious fab time this weekend. me =
Old 29th October 2008, 02:19 PM   #78
N1ESE is offline N1ESE  United States
diyAudio Member

Ty, much thanks for documenting your work on this. I'm ordering a Simple SE board from George next week (hopefully he has some left) along with all the parts. I've been wanting to build a tube amp for quite some time and this looks like a great way to get started.
Old 30th October 2008, 01:22 AM   #79
diyAudio Member

Quote:
hopefully he has some left
I have about 80 left right now. Since the recent economic meltdown sales have dropped to near zero, so they will be around for a while. If they run low, I'll get more.

Unfortunately these economic events have delayed the Simple P-P and Spud SE. The boards and parts needed to build the prototypes for testing and instruction manual photos, and the production quantity order runs between $1200 and $1600. At the current sales average of 2 boards per week, it just doesn't add up.
Old 30th October 2008, 06:17 AM   #80
N1ESE is offline N1ESE  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tubelab.com
[B]I have about 80 left right now. Since the recent economic meltdown sales have dropped to near zero, so they will be around for a while. If they run low, I'll get more.
Thanks George, I'll be placing an order via PayPal on Monday.

I think I'm going to be running the following on mine unless anyone sees a problem with this lineup:

Hammond 374BX Power
Hammond 193D 8 H, 150 mA Choke
Edcore XSE15-8-5K Outputs

Genalex KT88's
JJ ECC81
JJ 5AR4

Hide this!Advertise here!