Simple Simple SE questions - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 9th November 2009, 11:10 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
I can take all of the parts off of a board using a propane torch and use them to build a new board. It takes me about an hour total.
A heat gun also works for this quickie depop, but like the torch it is very stinky. About the best way to liberate soldered PCB sockets. Should say I guess that the board does NOT survive (it makes the stink)
Old 10th November 2009, 11:33 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Hi,
What is the recommended fuse value (amp and voltage) and type (fast or slow)? My main is 120V.

Thanks
Old 10th November 2009, 11:47 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemen12 View Post
Hi,
What is the recommended fuse value (amp and voltage) and type (fast or slow)? My main is 120V.
Fast blow, 1.5 amp should be fine. If it gives you problems, try a 2 amp instead.
Old 19th November 2009, 01:07 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Hi,
What is the official name of the gommets
http://www.tubelab.com/images/Assemb...Punched3_b.jpg
and where can we find them (electronic, hardware, plumbing, or else type of store)?

Thanks,
Old 19th November 2009, 03:03 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi,
What is the official name of the gommets
http://www.tubelab.com/images/Assemb...Punched3_b.jpg
and where can we find them (electronic, hardware, plumbing, or else type of store)?

Thanks,
Radio shack has a grab bag of them that is what I used on my first Simple SE. It will set you back about $2. On my second I am trying to find some that will work with 1/8" thick aluminum. The radio shack ones dont work all that well with it.
Old 19th November 2009, 11:18 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic6paul View Post
I am trying to find some that will work with 1/8" thick aluminum.
Try looking through the selection at Mouser. I managed to squeeze one of these onto my chassis plate. It is snug, but it works. They probably have something even better.

744 Keystone Electronics Mounting Hardware
Old 20th November 2009, 03:25 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Hi,
1. Can we use this trick for the volume control?
ESP - A Better Volume Control (A 100k linear with a 15k "in parallel")

2. Do we have to isolate the css from the heatsink (not thermally, but electrically)?
Old 20th November 2009, 04:24 AM   #28
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
1. Can we use this trick for the volume control?
ESP - A Better Volume Control (A 100k linear with a 15k "in parallel")
I'd just blow the $10 on an Alps RK27-series pot at Mouser. I'm using one in one of my designs and have not noticed any discontinuity in the logarithmic action. That doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a discontinuity - just that I haven't noticed...

Quote:
2. Do we have to isolate the css from the heatsink (not thermally, but electrically)?
The CSS has B+ on it. If the heatsink is electrically connected to anything else or is mounted in a position where someone could touch it, I would definitely isolate the CSS and prevent access by children's fingers, etc. to the tab of the CSS's TO-220 package. If the heat sink is internal in the chassis, then all you need is some thermal grease.

~Tom
Old 21st November 2009, 01:04 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
I'd just blow the $10 on an Alps RK27-series pot at Mouser. I'm using one in one of my designs and have not noticed any discontinuity in the logarithmic action. That doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a discontinuity - just that I haven't noticed
Hi,
I am more concerned about the impedance of the pot. Would it be ok? ESP - A Better Volume Control

Thanks
Old 22nd November 2009, 12:57 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am more concerned about the impedance of the pot. Would it be ok?
The input impedance (seen by the source) of the Simple SE with a simple pot for a volume control will vary slightly as the control is turned. It is roughly equal to the value of the pot (50 to 100K) when the pot is all the way down and gently drops to the value of the pot in parallel with the 220K resistor that is on the PC board (R11 and R21) at full volume (about 70 K with a 100K pot). If R11 and R21 are replaced with 15K resistors the input impedance of the amp will vary from 100K to 14K as the volume control is turned up. If your source is OK with that then this trick will work. The Simple SE doesn't care. Most solid state sources (like a CD player) will be OK, but a vacuum tube preamp or line stage may not like it.

Hide this!Advertise here!