• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Tubelab web site down, no more SimpleSE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My web site hosting company has been having problems. Some users have been experiencing intermittent operation over the last few weeks. Email service has also been intermittent. Then yesterday, it was gone completely.

Multiple emails to the hosting company have gone unanswered, or returned. The tech support phone number goes on infinite hold. This evening I got this email:

Thank you for contacting Valueweb Technical Support. We experienced a severe network outage last night at approximately 8 P.M. EDT. All Valueweb sites, control panel access, customer sites, and other network facilities were inaccessible. Our Systems Administration team has been working through the night to bring these systems back on line as quickly as possible.

As of now, most critical systems have been returned to operations, however, some systems may still be inaccessible. Please rest assured that we are doing our best to bring all of these systems back online as quickly as possible, and there is no need to reply to this email.

I apologize for the inconvenience this has surely caused, and am sorry that we have not been able to respond to your inquiry until now, due to this outage. If you should have any further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Well, my web site is still dead, and I CAN'T contact them! Maybe it is time for a new hosting company.

The last email that I got before the site went down was from a company called NuVo Technologies. It seems that they own the trademark "Simplese" which is used on a solid state multi room audio system. They claim that my use of the term SimpleSE as applied to anything audio "violates their trademark". They further state that I must immediately "discontinue the use of the brand name treatment "SimpleSE", or they "would have no choice but to pursue further legal action to rigorously defend that which WE have invested over 4 years of time and resources to
protect." There are no more SimpleSE's, but there are plenty of Simple SE's. Since these people found my "violation" by using a Google search, please refer to this amplifier by the name Simple SE in all future posts.

This is just one of those days when I feel like it just ain't worth it. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

I've found dreamhost to be good value for the money, for small websites the space and bandwidth they supply is effectively unlimited.

Email me if you want a code that will get you the first year at near to nothing (and some money off my bill to boot)

There's hardly anything on my site at the moment, but you can see some old electronics articles there. greygum

FWIW, I had almost exactly the same experience a year or two ago with a hosting company called Blazer Network, which had decent prices and good reviews. Then one day they just melted down.

I moved to GoDaddy.com. Yeah, dumb name. But so far near-perfect service, and no complaints about bandwidth (with all the books I have posted I regularly hit 400-500 GB/month of traffic).

I do think you get what you pay for. I pay about $180 a year for 300GB of storage and 3TB/month of bandwidth.

And hey, they sponsor the best looking Indy car driver...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Pete

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I would just set up my own -

Get your free host name and dynamic redirect at no-ip.org. So it would be tubelab.no-ip.org. Its a pain for the no-ip.org part, but hey, its free. They actually have a few more options available instead of no-ip.org. I also had three simultaneous sites from the same server, and you can have many more (I don't remember how many).

The just download latest xitami by imatix.com. Install it on a dedicated junker pc (I use a Pentium III 400 mhz. Works perfect).

Open the port on your router to allow inbound/outbound traffic.

The no-ip.org servers will redirect you dynamic IP address to the new URL host address automatically (so you don't have to have a static IP).

If you ask me, building an amp is a hell of a lot more difficult that setting up your own server.

You can get it up and running in a 1/2 hour. As long as you internet access is stable and reliable, so will your server. I reboot mine every few months just for the hell of it.

I like the fact that I control everything posted on this server that is always within arms reach, and I am getting some additional use out of the $50/month cable internet bill. Only real caveat is security, but I have not had a problem in the six years I have had mine up....

The trouble with "TubelabSE" is that TubeLab already uses it for his premium single ended amp - directly heated triodes with "powerdrive". I think that FUSE is great too, but seeing how much of a gentleman George is, I am sure he will come up with something else ;)

Chris

thevoice said:
I've found dreamhost to be good value for the money, for small websites the space and bandwidth they supply is effectively unlimited.
greygum

Dreamhost is GREAT!
Dreamy, in fact.

I haven't had a single problem w/ them. WELLL ok, one. Their servers went down about a month ago, but it was in teh middle of the night, and they got their ***** up and went and fixed it in the middle of the night.

Other than that.. I've been using them for several years w/out trouble

I'd like to throw my vote to http://digitalhost.net/

They have servers in Oz, Canada and USA...

The guy runing it, Nicholas is great at solveing problems, even made some payment arrangements for me to get my website started, and provided the cheapest hosting I could find, even with an SSL certificate it worked out to under $100 for the year.

I also have some websites from my clients hosted there.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My site has been hosted on 1&1 Internet since I put it back up about 4 yrs ago. Never a problem, and while not free the costs are extremely low. They take care of the domain name registration and renewals. You can also have an anonymous listing (exception subpoena from a law enforcement agency) when people do a whois search so that all of your personal information is not directly exposed to the internet if you don't want it to be.

Local internet web hosting is often a violation of terms of service for residential accounts with many ISPs so if you use dynamic IP redirection as suggested in a previous post you need to make sure web hosting does not violate your terms of service. (It does with my current Verizon account and my previous Comcast one as well.) Many will get away with it because traffic is relatively low, but I doubt that would be the case with Tubelab.

Sorry to hear about the "Simple SE" trademark infringement issue, that's a bummer.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Local internet web hosting is often a violation of terms of service for residential accounts with many ISPs so if you use dynamic IP redirection as suggested in a previous post you need to make sure web hosting does not violate your terms of service. (It does with my current Verizon account and my previous Comcast one as well.) Many will get away with it because traffic is relatively low, but I doubt that would be the case with Tubelab.

Yep, you are right. I am not hosting a huge site, and , my"hits" are minimal compared to sites like this forum. If you plan on doing GB of transfer, look elsewhere, but if you are requiring reasonable amount of traffic, the may be worth looking into.

Kinda cool. I even asked the neighbor if he wanted me to host his blog and pics for out of state relatives

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.