• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Tubelab SimpleSE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hammond makes some perforated metal covers for your chassis: http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg22.htm

Also, some here that are fancier, but maybe not sized where you need: http://www.vt4c.com/shop/program/main.php?cat_id=1&group_id=2

You might also try 35mm film developing tanks: http://www.adorama.com/DKT235.html

Good point. I see on another thread that edcore will provide these transformers with wire outputs rather than tabs. If I had known this was an option I would have ordered them with wires...

Even then, I think they are too exposed w/o bell ends.

Thanks for the input. Those hammond covers are downright ugly! I think I might just make a simple box out of 3mm mdf of similar that just covers the output transformers and paint it black to match the power transformer and choke. If I use a similar style output transformer in a future project I will consider mounting them in the chassis.

Thanks again!

Chris

I tried e-mailing you.. I'm interested in a SimpleSE board if you have them available. I know you're probably very busy, but I wanted to give you a heads up that there should be an e-mail in your box from me.

I looked and I see no unanswered emails relating to PC boards. No new email at all came in since yesterday morning, so If you sent it recently, I didn't get it. Use the tech(at)tubelab.com address

I will try to send you ordering info through the PM feature of this forum since I will be out of town for a week starting Friday morning, so nothing can be shipped during that time and internet access during that period is questionable. (tried, you elected not to receive email through this board)

Thanks for the input. Those hammond covers are downright ugly!

That they are, not cheap either. This may not help on the other side of the world, but there are some black wire mesh CD and DVD storage baskets available in Target stores here that make good looking amp covers. The CD basket will cover tubes and transformers (12 3/4 by 5 1/2) and the DVD basket will cover an entire amp (16 3/4 by 8 1/2). I don't see them listed in their web store. They look far better than Hammond, and are cheaper.

G'Day George,

After building that beautiful amp you designed, the last thing I want to do is cover it up ;)

I like the retro-industrial look of tubes/transformers/caps etc hanging out in the breeze! All I am concerned about is the safety of my kids, so I will follow the suggestion of covering up the output transformers and their associated wiring. I think an MDF box that just covers the output transformers will not detract from the aesthetics too much and will be a cinch to build compared to making the speakers they are driving. If you are interested in seeing the work behind them, the thread is here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37921&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

Attachments

• finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,169
Very nice amp! I'm gonna have to get one of those boards before summer's end. I'd like to do a 350V B+ El34 as I've got a handful of EH EL34's and some NOS GE EL34 fatbottles. Any suggestions on a suitable tranny for 120V mains?

FWIW, I contacted Edcor the other day and they said they will NOT put wire leads on the cheaper OPT's. I was kinda bummed as I was gonna use them for a Darling project. Could just do some mdf boxes like you described and put some nice veneer on them or even just use 1/4" hardwood.

FWIW, I contacted Edcor the other day and they said they will NOT put wire leads on the cheaper OPT's. I was kinda bummed as I was gonna use them for a Darling project. Could just do some mdf boxes like you described and put some nice veneer on them or even just use 1/4" hardwood. [/B]

Interesting, I get the Edcor XSE15-8-5K With leads all the time for my 5W guitar amps. They charge about $2.00 each more, but do a very good job with them.

Perhaps order size is the issue, I generally order a dozen or 2 at a time.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Trout

Trout said:

Interesting, I get the Edcor XSE15-8-5K With leads all the time for my 5W guitar amps. They charge about $2.00 each more, but do a very good job with them.

Perhaps order size is the issue, I generally order a dozen or 2 at a time.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Trout

Could be, where I just need two and not a dozen. Funny thing is I never told them how many I wanted, just asked if they could do it.

Could be, where I just need two and not a dozen. Funny thing is I never told them how many I wanted, just asked if they could do it.

Hmmmm thats really odd, Even on their website they say they will do custom jobs.

If you do not see the transformer you are looking for please contact us.

Over the years EDCOR has manufactured many custom products, from the signal R & D transformer to custom production runs. If you have a transformer that you need for a signal job, production or need a on going product, let us help.

EDCOR charges a $20.00 design and setup fee for quanities less then 10 peices. We have a large database of designed going back over 30 years and if we have already have the transformer on file then the design and setup fee is waved
To help use in your custom design please give use the following information.
Your Name
Company Name
Street Address
Telephone Number
E-mail Address
Input/Primary (voltage or impedance)
Output/Secondary (voltage or impedance, and any taps)
total power or current of the transformer
Frequency Response
and a drawn schematic

Who knows, maybe they changed their policy since my last order, I sure hope not, I am about ready for another batch, I am down to my last 3.

Trout

My personal preference is for a lot of voltage and a higher than "normal" load impedance. My amps (I currently have 2) run about 450 volts of B+ which puts about 410 volts across the tube. One has a 5 K ohm OPT and the other has a 6K ohm OPT.

Several users have built their amps with about 350 to 360 volts of B+ and a 3 or 3.5 K OPT. They report success.

I got my boards in this week ( one of each, thanks George!) but in looking through the parts larder tonight, it doesn't look like I'll be building this weekend.

No PCB tube sockets at all.

I have some Hammond 125ESE output trannies on hand, so I'm ok there.

My power transformer situation looks spotty: a NOS Stancor PC8404 (260-0-260 @ 90 mils) enough for 6V6's or 6L6's maybe, or '45's?.

A Utah something that is labelled 300-0-300 but looks really robust; some massive industrial control transformers that I can get 440ish AC from, but no other windings; and a massive Bendix 950-475-0-475-950 @ 150 mils, 6.3 CT @ 6 amps and 5 CT @ 3 amps that looks like fun if it's any good, and a pile of old junk ham supplies that could be junk because the trannies are bad.

The only chassis I could find was an 8x12 Hammond and it's steel.

I figured I'd build up the SimpleSE first, as I knew I didn't have some of the semis required by the DHT board, but since I have to order parts anyway, I may try the TubelabSE first.

cap info Tubelab SimpleSE resistor 10ohm 3Watt

Have just unpacked the goodies from Mouser- and found a single minute resistor missing- called Singapore rep for mouser- the cap costs 39 cents US and the shipping costs $21 USD!
OK - so I forgot to ask for two- but that cost is laughable- I weighed the unit and the plastic bag and sticker weighed more. The rep giggled herself senseless at the thought of charging that much and NO it had to go via FEDEX and NO, they wouldnt put it in an envelope and just post the darn thing.

has anybody got a lead for a tiny 10ohm 3W metal oxide resistor?

the soldering iron is smoking, the parts are all ready to "populate", the espresso machine has ahead of steam and.............

namatjira,

PM me h e a d m a s t e r (d 0 t ) t h e (a t) g m a i l ( d 0 t ) c 0 m

When I ordered the parts for mine there was a min order plus I hit the order button twice, so have a few extra of these. I will drop one in the mail for you tomorrow if you want to send me your details.

Cheers,

Chris

G'day All

Chris

Did you just order the board for this amp & source the other components yourself or did you order all the parts from the manufacturer ?

Are you able to advise an approx of how much a project like this costs for guys in Aus.

Nice build, have you tried any other type of valves in it ?

Cheers

I got the chassis, power transformer and valves from antique electronics http://www.tubesandmore.com/ the output transformers from Edcor http://www.edcorusa.com/home.html and the electronics from digikey.

I was going to the USA, so had those parts delivered to my friend's house, so saved on the multiple shipping to Australia. If I was to do it now, I would get custom power transformer from Edcor perhaps, and look for valves/chassis local. I am looking to get some custom power transformers from Edcor, have not finalised the requirements yet, but even with the one-off design fee of $20, they are much cheaper than Hammond. I will email them in the next day or so and ask if they can do a custom choke as well. I think the design/setup fee will more than cover the additional shipping if sourcing these parts elsewhere. For other components, check RS Components http://australia.rs-online.com/web/

Cheers

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.