Dust Extraction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm relatively new to this forum, so I thought I'd make a positive contribution, before I start asking loads of questions!

I've been making wood dust for years, and started to realise it probably wasn't the best thing for my lungs. A bit of research confirmed the obvious, and gave me the kick I needed to sort it out.

I've just finished creating a dust extraction system for my workshop, and detailed it here: http://spikyfish.com/DustExtraction/

I hope it's of use to all those hacking MDF...

Joined 2006
Paid Member
As my old ships Captain would say "Outstanding"!! :worship:

Seeing as how I'm just getting started you have inspired me to get things right from the beginning and get busy designing a "starter" system that can be expanded on in the future. For now I'm stuck outside on the patio with a dust jumper, good mask, and a shop vac for the sawdust.

Great design that shows a great deal of thought - thanks for sharing!:cheers:

Many thanks for all the positive feedback. To be honest, I'm very pleased with it, but more for the fact it's a workable solution in a small space. I've seen so many 'proper' system in big workshops (lots of people with old barns and farm buildings in this area) that I wasn't thinking of it as 'big' or 'impressive'!

The CNC machine was useful to cut out the flat parts, and getting accurate holes in the blast gates. However, with a decent circle cutting jig + router and holesaws, all of what I made could be done by hand.

As for horns, planet10 has mentioned frugel-horn cutting to me. It's certainly something I'll look at, though things are a bit busy atm. If anyone had done some 2D DXF files of the sides then that would speed things up somewhat.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.