Just Found Out, Accepted into Two graduate programs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
THought I would let those of you who might care that I was accepted finaly into a PhD graduate program. The first is at Purdue University in their Human Development Family studies program, and the second was in the Evaluation and Developmental studies program at Claremont Graduate University. Purdue looks to be offering Full tuition I believe, and Claremont is offering 25%. Looks like I will have some hard decisions ahead of me, but they are good decisions to have to make. I'm very excited.

Thanks Cal, yes I'm very exciting. I'm getting no work done at the moment, trying to arrange travel plans to visit these schools. They planned their open house events within 3 days of each other, so I think I will be traveling from here to Purdue, stay still Saturday, head home, only to leave again to Claremont on Monday, and come home on Tuesday. I'm not sure if I even can work this out. Silly schools and their competing for me.

Yes I do, I think it would be a mistake for me to accept an offer without visiting the school first. That would be like buying a set of speakers because all the magazines and all your friends tell you good things about them, and a dealer offers you a good price, but you never go out and listen. They might be great, but not for you. These programs might be great, but I may not like the town, the school, the faculty, the students, who knows, the color of the walls.

I got pretty sick and tired of the purple of my last school, they even dyed the fountain water purple for special events.

They both are great programs from what I understand, the faculty and staff I have talked to so far have been great, so I really am excited. This will start a new chapter in my life. For a short, hopefully, period of time I will be forced to take on smaller DIY projects I think, as I doupt I will have the time, resources, and space to build things like large speakers or subwoofers, or even large and heavy amplifiers. I also wont have a need for a loud system being in a small apartment. Maybe I will start building some headphone amps or something, hehe.

Indiana is not too bad if you don't mind the mind-numbing sameness, the GOP and a governor that is selling off the state one piece at a time.
I've lived here 54 years and it has been 55 years too many. I would move but for the fact I am disabled and have two kids in school.
Not too many part sources in central Indiana, but Lafayette should be better given Purdue's school of engineering. By the way, I am a Purdue grad as well as an IU grad - makes football and basketball seasons a little more interesting.

Peace,
Kevin

Both are offering fellowships, I have not been told if they are teaching or research yet. I believe the California one is research, but since its only 25%, I only have to work quarter hours. I don't believe I get paid, as I understand it, they put those hours towards my tuition basicly.

As for Purdue, they have recomended me for a fellowship which will include full tuition, most fees, and a stipend. It's a very attractive deal, even if I don't like Indiana, to not have to go into dept over it, or take any more money from my parents towards my education would be nice. Of course, having some form of income generation is good too.

I was told by one of my colleagues, who actually chose not to take his free ride for a PhD, and isntead go where he would have to pay. He told me that he was able to get an assistantship position once he was on campus just by asking around and looking at the flyers. He said that he covered his tuition and then some, and worked out well for him. His feeling was that, even if Claremont isn't offering a free ride, I probably could still get a position that would take care of most if not all of my expenses, as long as I'm willing to work.

Another concern I have about claremont vs Purdue is that, Purdue is a large school with a lot of resources. Claremont is a very small school without a lot of resources. No doupt the reason they aren't offering more money is a lack of resources. Purdue is offering to pay back everything I spend to go and visit them, will give me transportation, and a place to stay. I haven't even accepted the offer yet and they are willing to do all that. Claremont will not, not even a place to stay. This concerns me that possible once I am a student and I'm working on some research projects, they may not ahve the resources to pay for parts of my work. I have heard of some students at smaller schools having to pay their own way into confrences, or the fees for publication in journals, etc. Bigger schools go above and beyond, paying for all of those fees and often even paying you money for food and time. I think Purdue is more likely to have those resources, where as Claremont will not.

Well, that's a big thing to be considered. FWIW, I took the full ride with both teaching and research fellowships at different times. A year teaching is a very useful thing, forcing you to really get the basics down as reflex. And generally, you're doing coursework your first year or two, so teaching doesn't get in the way too much. After that, a research assistantship or fellowship is a MUCH better deal, since you want to be spending as much time as possible getting that doctoral project done and the dissertation written.

I'd suspect that RA money might be easier to get at Purdue, but I'd ask some third or fourth year grad students in your specialty at each place.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.