Massive Magnetic Solar storm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Apparently this has zero press in the US. which is VERY bizarre, to say the least. Here's a report:

Powerful Magnetic Storm Approaches the Earth

The largest electromagnetic energy emission in the last 30 years has been recorded on the Sun, the Shternberg State Astronomy Institute said on Thursday. This energy outburst may damage equipment of space satellites, the scientists say. Doctors warn that the emission is dangerous for those afflicted with cardiovascular illnesses as well as for healthy people.

Scientists at the Shternberg Astronomy Institute of the Moscow State University have reported record-high emissions of electromagnetic energy on the Sun, the biggest since the 1970s. Over the past few days, the volume of sun radiation, or X9, has exceeded the normal level 1,000-fold. The scientists call this phenomenon an anomaly and say that the Sun is now in a stage when sunspots, sources of high electromagnetic radiation, are unusual. “Outbursts on the Sun like this have been extremely infrequent over the past 30 years,” said Igor Nikulin of the Shternberg Institute. “What is more, we have never had a chance to observe such emissions with the sun at its minimal activity.”

Scientists say that the first indications of increased solar activity were recorded on Monday when four sunspots appeared on the eastern part of the visible side of the solar disk. First, the scientists observed flashes on the Sun which were classified as moderate. However, the flashes were followed on Tuesday by massive outbursts of electromagnetic energy. “Such a large cloud of hot plasma has been released into space that even electronic equipment on space satellites may be damaged,” Vladimir Matveev at the Moscow Aviation Institute says.

The Sun’s electromagnetic anomaly has not reached the Earth yet. However, the Earth is expected to reach the sunspots quite soon. The encounter may happen this weekend, scientists at the Shternberg Astronomy Institute report. Igor Nikulin says: “If the area of the sunspots does not diminish in three or four days and the emissions continue, it may have a serious influence on the magnetic field of the Earth.” A cloud of hot plasma from the sunspots will make the Earth’s magnetic field vibrate and will cause a powerful magnetic storm.”

Doctors recommend their patients to keep to a special regime during the magnetic storm. People with cardiovascular illness are believed to be at a particular risk. However, quite healthy people should be on their guard as well. “One should not go overboard with drinking, going to the sauna or doing extra work,” Vladimir Ryabinin, chief physician at the Sklifosovskiy Ambulance Institute, advises. Other doctors suggest that people pay close attention to their health conditions during the days of the magnetic storm and go to consult their doctors in case of any problem.

http://blog.hasslberger.com/2006/12/major_solar_eruption_little_co.html

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
The Sun’s electromagnetic anomaly has not reached the Earth yet. However, the Earth is expected to reach the sunspots quite soon. The encounter may happen this weekend, scientists at the Shternberg Astronomy Institute report.
This was posted December 12th. That weekend came and went. Nothing happened.

Doctors recommend their patients to keep to a special regime during the magnetic storm. People with cardiovascular illness are believed to be at a particular risk. However, quite healthy people should be on their guard as well. “One should not go overboard with drinking, going to the sauna or doing extra work....”
I'm on high blood pressure medication. This weekend, I had a little wine. Nothing happened.

kelticwizard said:

This was posted December 12th. That weekend came and went. Nothing happened.

I'm on high blood pressure medication. This weekend, I had a little wine. Nothing happened.

I dunno... I was listening to "Beatles Remastered", and I swear I heard John say "Paul is dead"... as the cd player started running weird for an instant... I also heard a swishing sound while in my hottub saturday nite... maybe the "solar wind?"

I've no idea what the whole thing was about. Nothing happened here iether. Not even any pretty lights, which I would have enjoyed.

All I know is one thing - that it's better to be paranoid than to be dead. So I posted it, in case folks cared to know. A simple FYI.

Attachments

• solarflare.jpg
    solarflare.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 92
http://www.spaceweather.com

We are at a solar minimum, so the sun's activity is low--on the average. One sunspot has been somewhat active this month with some X-class flares that produced some nice light shows in the northern hemisphere, but that's about it. We experienced much stronger flares in the last solar max, and I seem to recall accounts of a real doozy back in the 19th century that might have wiped out all our high-orbiting satellites today.

The next solar maximum is forecast to be stronger than average, but that's what? five or six years from now?

I've never heard of solar activity having any capability to directly affect humans, unless one counts pacemakers and even then probably not very likely. The quoted report just doesn't make much sense. especially for this event.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.