Monday Night Excess

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Anybody see last Monday night's football game?

It was from the Louisiana Superdome. I realize the National Football League has gotten where it is by promoting itself relentlessly, but this was one for the books.

U2 played there. They built the game up as some sort of rebirth of New Orleans, (remember the Superdome was the scene of some of the worst instances of Katrina), and to an extent I didn't mind it. But the announcers went on and on and on shilling for the importance of the game, how important the football team is for New Orleans, how this game celebrates the indomitable spirit of New Orleans and their determination to bounce back etc etc etc.

The nadir came when one of announcers, while expounding yet more about the importance of the football team to the city of New Orleans, told of meeting several people in New Orleans who did not have places to live, but who bought several season tickets to the football games anyway to show how they want to get on board with the rebirth of New Orleans as illustrated by the Super Dome and the NFL team. I'm not making this up.

Such wretched excess.

PS: This thread is not about the politics of Katrina, only the incredible insult to the intelligence that television production was.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.