Strong solder, how does it sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

So buddy pops over tonight and tries to get in the building by using his truck key to jimmy the lock with... It's funny as alot of people do it and I have to laugh when they show me a key all bent in half from it, I'd hammer it out and hand it back. It's happened a few times, but this time it was snapped.

Hmm I'll solder it say's I. Buddy is an electrician by trade now, but he's never worked with high end audio solder.. nice and strong I thought, it stands some chance at holding together, and it's not like the joint has to take any torsional stress either.

So I set it up and took the torch to the key, I really should have tinned both halves first but I can't give all my tips away..

I got a blob melted on one side, then one on the other side... with a little prodding they came together but never really flowed into the joint very well. So I let that harden, flipped it over and put the heat back to it, that blob melted and the key fell into it, the joint sucked it right up more importantly, I added a little more from the second side.

I gave it to buddy like that and let him tweak it, I though he'd chip my jacknife getting the splatter off it. Few minutes shaping with a file and we were off.

Keep in mind this was a last ditch effort to avoid having his father drive him home so he could look for his spare key after his wife couldnt' locate it.

So we venture out into the rain, having babied the key up 'till now aside from the little filing it carefully took, it slid right in and the truck started up.

How do you think that solder sounded to him right about then? Damn good I'd think. I was sure impressed with it.

Out of that deal I seem to have lost a flashlight, but it was still a laugh when I went back to the truck to look for it as he left and he found his spare key on the seat. No flashlight though. :hot:

That's OK, I know he'll use that key for another year at least but I only guarantee the joint for a week.

Cheers

just got rid of my T-Bird ...

... got my wife a Mazda MiataSpeed ... yippie.

Now I have to dump the ol' Ford Explorer ... I like it, but the tranny is kapoot = US$4400 for total repair. I figure I'll sell Ford stock short, keep the 4400 for a downstroke, use the stock profits on payments for a new Mazda 4WD SUV ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.