Internet explorer 6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

My Internet explorer 6(IE6) just hangs and crashes the computer when starting so I use Firefox (probably a virus or spyware).

Apparently it isn't possible to 'uninstall' IE6 but it can be repaired. However, windows update only allows you to access the site with IE6 (mine doesn't work) so I cannot repair the software. Nor can I remove the software because I'm told this will bring down windows xp. I could reinstall Windows xp, download all those service packs, and those hundreds of security patches but it would take about a day's work.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378

I suppose I could go back to the windows 98 / ME way of working: - re-install the operating system every month!

kelticwizard said:
I have Windows 98 SE and have not reinstalled the operating system for three years.

My suggestion is to take your problem to www.aumha.com . Those guys are thouroughy versed in all this stuff.

SY said:
If Firefox is working, why bother to repair IE6? I uninstalled IE, use FF exclusively, and have no problem with security "updates" from M$.

I'd definitely use the best antivirus and antispyware programs you can find. Multiples, since some catch what other miss.

Thank you

Mcafee freescan has found viruses on my computer in the past.Only problem is that I had to manually delete the file with an eraser, and delete registry entries. I use the free AVG one at the moment which has found one virus

anatech said:
Hi ash_dac,
Point FireFox to www.trendmicro.com . They offer free virus and browser hijack scans and fixes.

I use Netscape 7.2, not too sure about 8.x yet. IE only goes to u$oft update. The kast updates killed my sound and u$oft can only suggest to reload XP. That's 3 days folks (after loading everything else).

-Chris

I seem to remember without the first update on W98 my computer would go into the 'blue screen loop of death'.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ashley,
I have two. One is integrated (intel) and the other is a Soundblaster Live! 24 bit. They were both working great and I can't get either up now. As soon as we eliminated 3rd party drivers Microsoft bailed.

I have completely uninstalled both drivers and devices, reinstalled one by one. No joy anywhere.

-Chris

anatech said:
Hi Ashley,
I have two. One is integrated (intel) and the other is a Soundblaster Live! 24 bit. They were both working great and I can't get either up now. As soon as we eliminated 3rd party drivers Microsoft bailed.

I have completely uninstalled both drivers and devices, reinstalled one by one. No joy anywhere.

-Chris

Maybe remnants of the old driver still hanging around ? (registry entries need to be removed,etc)

Not sure why the soundblaster doesn't work (Creative have good driver support).

What is the motherboard make or intel chipset ?

I wonder if it's a direct x problem as the service pack may have upgraded directx. Have you tried the direct x sound tests ?

start > run > dxdiag

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ashley,
Thanks. The latest drivers and bios were installed long before the updates.

dxdiag reports everything is okay. I get a failure with Microsoft Synthesizer (no sound driver found). The Creative test plays cheesy music and I get silence, but no error with the SoundMax Digital audio test.

The creative diagnostics pass the hardware, but fail on all software drivers.

I don't know if that gives you a clue. I figured it should have helped the guys at Microsoft.

-Chris
Edit: Did trend find anything for you? I wish you luck with your IE issues.

anatech said:
Hi Ashley,
Thanks. The latest drivers and bios were installed long before the updates.

dxdiag reports everything is okay. I get a failure with Microsoft Synthesizer (no sound driver found). The Creative test plays cheesy music and I get silence, but no error with the SoundMax Digital audio test.

The creative diagnostics pass the hardware, but fail on all software drivers.

I don't know if that gives you a clue. I figured it should have helped the guys at Microsoft.

-Chris
Edit: Did trend find anything for you? I wish you luck with your IE issues.

Trend had to be restarted (crashed) so it's going again.

Have you tried installing a win2000 driver ?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ashley,
No. I can't get either sound card working now. I am fairly convinced it's an XP kernal problem, not a driver problem. I did load different drivers from the Soundblaster site (at usoft's request), but the installation program aborted. The driver was the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy LS series driver.

I did roll back the updates, no help. I reinstalled them again, no change there either.

Odd Trend crashed. I have seen it look like it's crashed before, but it wasn't. Interesting, but not helpful to you.

-Chris

anatech said:
Hi Ashley,
No. I can't get either sound card working now. I am fairly convinced it's an XP kernal problem, not a driver problem. I did load different drivers from the Soundblaster site (at usoft's request), but the installation program aborted. The driver was the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy LS series driver.

I did roll back the updates, no help. I reinstalled them again, no change there either.

Odd Trend crashed. I have seen it look like it's crashed before, but it wasn't. Interesting, but not helpful to you.

-Chris

last go.

Have you tried the command sfc / scannow from msdos prompt ? (need xp disk)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ashley,
Yes I did. The program exited without any messages at all. I was working as it ran in the background. I'm not sure how it should exit as that was the first time I've had to run it.

Should I try it again overnight?

How did your scan go, or is it still running? Also run CWshredder for your browser hijack issue.

-Chris

anatech said:
Hi Ashley,
Yes I did. The program exited without any messages at all. I was working as it ran in the background. I'm not sure how it should exit as that was the first time I've had to run it.

Should I try it again overnight?

How did your scan go, or is it still running? Also run CWshredder for your browser hijack issue.

-Chris

start > all programs > accessories > Command prompt

then type cd c:\

then sfc/scannow

it should bring up a dialog box:-

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Yeah it has found a few 'problems' . I will look at CWshredder.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.