Help in English

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I do apologize if my topic has nothing to do with Audio , but I want to understand how to properly use the verb "TO PROVIDE". A lot of english guys are here, could they help me ?

I want to be sure that I could use this verb in those forms :

TO PROVIDE SOMEONE WITH SOMETHING : e.g. I provide my friend with my books

TO PROVIDE SOMETHING : e.g, I provided my notes several days ago

Is it correct ?

Thanks in advance

I hope I can provide you with a correct response. I am no English scholar, but English is my native language.

Usually, when something is provided, it's ownership changes hands or, at least, the recipient has temporary ownership of it. For example: "I provide my friend with drugs" or "due to my friend's drug habit, he is unable to provide for his family" or "the homeless shelter provides my friend hot meals and a bed for the night".

"provided" can also be used as "if", for example: "my friend, provided he can kick his drug problem, will be able to get a job again".

Your first sentence, in that you refer to "my books", implies that the books are still yours and you are letting your friend borrow them. It's correct, but seems like an unlikely phrase to hear. More likely one would use "I lend my friend my books" or "my friend borrows my books".

Or, if you and your friend are both reading your books for a school class which you attend together, you would say "I share my books with my friend".

If you were giving books to your friend, then you might say "I provide my friend with his books". This would be an unusual circumstance, as it implies that you are your friend's only source for books. More likely a book seller would use this phrase.

Perhaps it would be easier to say "I provide my friend with books" as it's not specific as to whether they are being lent out or given away.

Your second sentence is fine as it is.

Max

ps. I don't provide anyone with drugs.

Lyon has provided me with some of the finest meals of my life.

Fourviere can provide one with a magnificent view of the city.

The Rhone provides a water source that, after percolating its way through the hills, provides the vines on Cote Blonde their nourishment. The vignerons in Ampuis and Condrieu provide me with the best wine on Earth.

Re: Inspiring

Netlist said:
I remember a small Thai restaurant in Lyon who provided me with the best Tom Yang Kung I have ever tasted.
Too bad no one can provide me the address since I lost it. :)

/Hugo

Hugo, shame on you! I am sure they will never allow you in the city again if your best culinary memory is a thai restaurant. :)

BTW, isn't Paul Bocousse's restaurant in or near Lyon?

Netlist said:

Argh, I actually googled to check that I got the spelling right. Some idi..., you know what I mean, out there on the internet is running a gourmet forum with Paul Bocuse as a member, without knowing how to spell his name. :(

I wouldn't be surprised if there are better restaurants. Usually when you hear about a famous restaurant somewhere, there are even better ones that are a well kept secret by the locals.

SY said:
OK, how about this one: A girl who lived on Croix Rousse provided me with one of the most memorable nights of my life.

Really? Which restaurant did she take you to? :)

Netlist said:

It provides me… well, ain’t this an audio forum? :)

Yes it is. We are all ears about your french brunettes. :)

Unfortunately I have never been to Lyon, only seen it through the train window. I spent a week in Chambery, though, a bit further south, in the Jura. They had plenty of very good restaurants too. I also visited som rather expensive restaurants in Toulouse once, without having to pay for it myself. :)

And then ..., well no, perhaps we should try stay in France. We have already threadjacked almost the whole thread.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Christer said:
We have already threadjacked almost the whole thread.

Oh no. We have provided ZERS with a countless amount of practical examples for his problem...and it's fun.

Now these markets are one of the things that make France so very appealing. More south they get better and provide you with a greater variety of colored merchandise.

/Hugo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.