Cult movies - what is your favorite - what is your favorite part

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dave (planet 10) and I are big fans of

"the Adventures of Buckeroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension" if you haven't checked it out, it's a real treasure that can be enjoyed over and over again.

One of the neat things is that it seems that no matter how many times you see it, each time you see it you pick up something new that you haven't seen before.

Dave's moniker Planet 10 comes from the movie and his business is named Planet 10 Enterprises.

My sig "wherever you go, there you are" is a line from that movie.

Any other cult movie folks/fans hanging around here?

Ken

as it is halloween

Nosferatu, Metropolis. M (appropriate to German cinema, an homage to Halloween)

is there a cult of DWGriffith, is there a cult of Lilian Gish?

any movie directed by Mel Brooks

any movie with John Belushi

any movie with Jack Lemmon

almost any movie directed by Truffaut

any movie directed by s. ray.

any movie Mifune/Kirosawa

as you can see, I could not live too far outside NYC

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
MY THING

Hey guys,

Just to show how European I really am:

All movies by Louis Bunuel,Carlos Saura to name just a few.

Bet you never heard of them?

Then there is the Italian masters too : Fellini to name one.

How about Skandinavia with Igmar Bergman?

To be honnest very few American movies impress me,way too shallow to watch more then casually.
Given a choice I'ld rather watch a good series on BBC or a documentary on National Geographic.
Way too many U.S. movies are shoveled down our throat since the Marshall plan.

I am no movie buff,just getting a bit older then the rest of the world.

Cheers,
;)

Used to be a big fan of Austin Powers. Must have watched it a zillion times. While in college i was home for the weekend. Went to friends house and started watching AP, this guy and I knew all the lines and were of couse playing along with the tape. His mother came in and offered $20 not to watch it. What a deal! So we went to get some food, it was good times. Later i rented a house with him and one other guy, he and i both had a copy anf kept them in the same place. People would vist and often ask why we had two copies of AP our reply was always that the third roommate was to lazy to get his own. Haven't seen it in over two years but the weekend is coming up...

I will have to look into some of the titles above. I think Austin Powers is probably past its use by date. Thanks for the pointers.

Terminator One definitely, far more gripping than the sequel. Like all good DIY, the less money you have the more wisely you spend it.

Early Cary Grant B&W's esp. Philidelphia Story.

Also the original Winnie the Pooh movies, ... & the Honey Tree. A true classic. (Alright, perhaps I was younger then, but they're still good)

Paul

fdegrove

American movies shallow? Quid est hoc?: "On the Waterfront" shallow?, "White Heat" shallow? "Intolerance" shallow? I mean, how many times can you watch "The Seventh Seal" before you too want to take the black pill.

and with respect to the little polemic, perhaps you would have preferred the opposite of the Marshal Plan, i.e. the Stalin Plan, ask anyone who grew up in Poland or Hungary in the 1950's:<p>
<b>To be honnest very few American movies impress me,way too shallow to watch more then casually.
Given a choice I'ld rather watch a good series on BBC or a documentary on National Geographic.
Way too many U.S. movies are shoveled down our throat since the Marshall plan.</b> <p>My view, of course, is colored by the fact that my mother's cousin lost a leg in the winter of 1945 liberating your country.

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
Cult movies

Ah..... Dark Star.

A classic but I can't decide if the best part is arguing philosophy with the thermo-stellar bomb that is set to detonate attached to the ship, or the the dead captain of the ship in cryo-suspension complaining that no one ever comes to talk to him unless there is a problem.

I think therefore I am,
Fred

P.S. Kubrick's Lolita and Dr. Strangelove are two of my favorites and I know that Repo Man is Jocko's favorite.

"Muuuuuhahahahahaha" Come on Nelson, I know you idolize Kubrick and Roger Corman. I am not going to let you off that easy!

Eraserhead - the scene at the dinner table trying to carve the bird

Brazil and Terry Gilliam movies in general

The Way of the Gun - in the bordello when Longbaugh asks the doctor about how the baby is doing. And Abner sitting on his sofa with a sack full of snub-nose revolvers

The Outlaw Josey Wales - when Grannie Hawkins tells Josey he can pay her when she sees him again

Young Frankenstein

A Clockwork Orange and Kubrick movies in general, but Barry Lyndon sucked IMO

The Truman Show

Groundhog Day

Memento - never answer the phone

Sling Blade - I don't reckon I got no reason to kill nobody.

Magnolia

American History X

My Dinner with André

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

and the list goes on and on

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.