Simple Killer Amp - Listening impressions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hugh Dean AKSA

I am a long term lurker!
I know Hugh Dean (AKSA) fairly well and will now unveil him!!

1. Hugh is FAR more the engineer than he ever lets on.
2. He has the most lucid and detailed grasp of how amplifiers REALLY work than any engineer I know and that any SPICE model will ever reveal ( tough luck pseudo objectivists).
3. He starts with strong theory and LOTS of measurements.
4. He KNOWS why simple is often better and the hidden deficiencies in complex ( e.g. current mirrors, tight active regulation etc).
4. BUT He then goes on for MANY hours with painstaking changes & listening tests to turn the proverbial sows ear into the silk purse.
5. This cost is why AKSA is worth many times its parts cost!!!

Belief in mathematical models alone is total folly. They are models NOT real world devices!!

We all ( hopefully ) end up building what sounds best to us! BUT all our ears are different!! They is an amp out there waiting for everyone!! ;-)

cheers!!

Re: Hugh Dean AKSA

hifryer said:
I am a long term lurker!
I know Hugh Dean (AKSA) fairly well and will now unveil him!!

1. Hugh is FAR more the engineer than he ever lets on.
2. He has the most lucid and detailed grasp of how amplifiers REALLY work than any engineer I know and that any SPICE model will ever reveal ( tough luck pseudo objectivists).
3. He starts with strong theory and LOTS of measurements.
4. He KNOWS why simple is often better and the hidden deficiencies in complex ( e.g. current mirrors, tight active regulation etc).
4. BUT He then goes on for MANY hours with painstaking changes & listening tests to turn the proverbial sows ear into the silk purse.
5. This cost is why AKSA is worth many times its parts cost!!!

Belief in mathematical models alone is total folly. They are models NOT real world devices!!

We all ( hopefully ) end up building what sounds best to us! BUT all our ears are different!! They is an amp out there waiting for everyone!! ;-)

cheers!!

Hifryer,

Big ditto here on that one! :cool:

HD comes up with and has tried more interesting ideas than I've
had hot dinners! :)

Cheers,

Terry

Hi fryer,

That's great news ... but maybe you should be placing your hugh dean appreciation testimonials on his 'must read' list and not here. Looks like a 'put up' and classic threadjacking.

This, after all, is a thread started by rellum, discussing the listening qualities of the SKA. Maybe the Hugh Dean appreciation society could start their own thread.

Ditto Terry. Fair go mate.

Cheers,
greg

Greg,

I would suggest you start a thread with subject 'SKA Listening Impressions', and move the reviews here into it. Newcomers will go to that thread first up if that's their interest.

It is very difficult to control these threads; the idea of an open forum is that people say what they like, and control implies censorship implies strong commercial interest.

You might speak with John Reekie of Audiocircle (he's in Newport Beach in Sydney) and see if you can arrange a dedicated manufacturers forum. This has worked well for Aspen.

I am the first to say that I think your circuit is very clever, even novel; but in truth there is hardly anything new under the sun. So much depends on component choice, layout and dimensioning, too. My apologies if you think this threadjack was contrived; it just happened spontaneously, in fact.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi fryer,

...."Is there an AKSA thread where I should have posted?"

Indeed there is fryer, and it was created by linup half an hour before your post.. rather hard to miss on top?

Hi Hugh,

All the clearly contrived efforts to belittle the extraordinary sonic achievement (yes this is something very new under the sun) of the SKA by obfuscation have proved quite transparent.

It really is a great starting point for anyone experimenting with amplifiers to start with something really clean and accurate with no tiresome nature.. tweakers can then play with sympathetic distortions like you favour, at will, always knowing there is an accurate fall back position. A great point to start often futile parameter deviations, wouldn't you say? (rhetorical question):D

It is not my role to re-engineer this thread - started by a fellow DIYer. I simply designed the amplifier. I want to hear DIY builders impressions as much as others here. Lets respect rellums topic.

Cheers,
Greg

Hey Mr ( self styled) Amplifier Guru!

I'd really appreciate it if you got some manners. I don't appreciate your tone or style. Please try to be a tad less tiresome, rude, assumptive and paranoid!

I came in new, made a simple mistake and apologised. I have no real idea what I seem to have walked into here but if you have some sort of commerciallly based war going on here, why not take it elsewhere?

I did not notice the AKSA listening thread and suggest if this thread was called SKA listening ( whatver a SKA is - AKSA without the Aspen?) I would not have made the mistake.

I just came in on this thread after Hugh in a light hearted way to "out " him both as an engineer and a guy with a better ear than he often portrays.

Sorry for breathing!

:mad: Actually, I was enjoying this thread (both the SKA and aksa) before the "obfuscation" started. I would like to see more evaluations of both amplifiers. Certainly the good reviews must feel good, but often the critical refiews contain more information for learning. Wonder if it is possible for some one to post a critical review without stimulating emotional counter "attacks". SKA is a most interesting amplifier and deserves fair and critical review.

Bill

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Hi, I think some of you have missed the point...by a longshot

Greg has obviosly very little commercial interest....on the contrary.....no he is just proud of his design and offers it dirt cheap I think

50 fore bare boards....just for you guys
100 with components matched
150 build and tested

Who can match that

Perfekt fore rebuilding old gear...I think....and for those of us that are not so experienced....or able to make our design :worship:

Thanks Tinnitus,

You're exactly right. I have had a lifetime in business - and am, quite honestly, tired of all the innuendo, rumours, commercial blockades, threats against my family, and generally smarmy competitors who will stop at nothing to sell their knowingly lesser products.

So I chose to design an amplifier that delivered absolute sonics, at low cost, using reasonably priced readily available components, was efficient in power usage, is easy to build, is compact and undemanding of supply quality. It IS unique enough to be patentable over up to 7 design aspects including the topology. To sell this advance in audio at the prices offered is criminal in the commercial world, one I have less time for.

One kit buyer communicated to me - "I was planning on altering a few things, but when I saw the pure genius of the design, I won't be touching a thing!"
Another - " Please don't increase the price, I'm trying to get enough money together"

And Yes Jacco, I'm sorry you don't have the skills my 30+ years of commercial design of audio products has taught me. I see absolutely no point in wasting money then justifying to people why it's worth more.

Never mind, this and all my threads will soon disappear as moderators have been instructed by their members with commercial interests that I don't belong (surprise!).

Cheers,
Greg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.