Backup backup backup...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I saw a post in texas regarding lost data, and I must say this: BACKUP! BACKUP! BACKUP! BACKUP! BACKUP! :smash: :smash: :smash:
It doesn't matter whether you are the biggest credit cards service company in the whole word or the very average joe. For one thing, you have to backup.
It doesn't matter if you use open source/free software or some soft worth several millions, you have to backup.
There is no such thing like 100% guarantee you can make it without any kind of backup forever.

And for the specific case: judging from your reaction, you aren't that experienced in computers, so take it easier, as it is your fault for not having a backup(I know you hate me, but I don't care :D ). Then, understand you can't always blame some app for losing your data. It could have very easely be a windows problem, or a linux problem or your hardware(hdd, chipset if overclocking etc.). The app itself doesn't have any functions for writing the data on hdd, it uses some sort of API provided by the OS, and that's not the end of it either(drivers, eventually BIOS).
Some 2 weeks ago, it just so happend the entire partition table were deleted on my machine, so the OS was not able to boot anymore. Any average joe would have thought all datas are gone, etc. It wasn't so at all, a simple utility called testdisk scanned the entire hdd, detected all my partitions, recreated the partition table, and there you go, after some 15 minutes, everything like normal. The changes are slim, but you might still be able to recover your data.

And don't forget, backup. (btw, I don't use that particular app, nor am I helping dev it, nor do I recommend it, but the ie is really something I can't recommend(and never use it myself), altho the bookmarks are somehow safer, considering that for each entry there is a file)

:hot:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.