Canadian Government buys four used subs, one shorts out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Did my government spend almost a Billion Dollars acquiring and restoring four used subs because they can go really deep?????
Unfortunately one just shorted out and the resulting electrical fire has killed a Canadian, injured many others and made my government look pretty incompetent.

Is there a lesson here? Give an adolescent money and he'll waste it on big powerful subs that can go really deep. :bigeyes:

What does our government need subs for anyway? Our military is not much of a force, they mostly do humanitarian aid and peacekeeping.
Funny thing is where these subs came from...the British replaced them because they were obsolete and aging (badly) and because to upgrade and repair them would be too costly....so we bought 'em!! It's like buying old console tube amps just to upgrade the circuit, replace all parts and build an attractive chassis for the cost of parts for a good new design. True DIY spirit on our nations part.

The Canadian Navy needs submarines like the Swiss Navy needs submarines. What is their mission? Torpedoeing trawlers from Maine fishing off the coast of Newfoundland? Shadowing ore carriers on Lake Superior?
Yes, your government is incompetant. But at least when your PM poses with our esteemed President it's your guy who's wearing the "I'm with Stupid" tee shirt.

I think part of the problem was that the subs had been sitting un touched in docks, here in Britain.
They just sold them and let them be sailed away.
You wouldnt jump in a car that had been untouched for 4 years, and expect it to work well.

A shame that people were hurt.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
penance said:
I think part of the problem was that the subs had been sitting un touched in docks, here in Britain.
They just sold them and let them be sailed away.
You wouldnt jump in a car that had been untouched for 4 years, and expect it to work well.

A shame that people were hurt.

Did anyone of you ask where they would use them for or - that's an idea - actually THOUGHT about that? No? Thought so.

Subs are an excellent means for covert eavesdropping and intell gathering. With Canadian soldiers all over the globe's hotspots as peacekeepers (you DID know that, didn't you?) they would be foolish to rely on other nations sharing intell, which they won't, especially not the americans. I think it is very responsible to have this capability if you take your soldiers seriously.

And, if you think that a crew would just jump into a sub that's been laying there for some time and take it for a spin, well, what can I say?

Jan Didden

As a matter of fact I understand you already had two perfectly good subs already- in the Edmonton shopping mall. Maybe the Canadian Navy was jealous that the Alberta Navy was better equipped?

Whatever you do, don't ***** about either medical care or welfare. I'm about $200k into medical bills, and without insurance I'd be bankrupt. As for the poor, you'll find more panhandlers on one city block of San Francisco, the bum capital of the world, than in the entire city of Montreal. Curiously the main hangout for bums in Montreal seems to be in front of the armed forces recruiting building on Ste. Catherine- perhaps they could sign on as Submarine crewmen?

nice pun rca guy.

As for our governments incompetence....you have to live here to appreciate it. I know of no other government with such a large and resource rich country to govern that could not do a little more with it. Sure, all governments make their blunders but not on such a steady basis.

Our welfare and health care is so mismanaged it's not funny anymore. I do like the idea of having both institutions but a trained monkey could organize a better system. The reason we don't have so many bums is because they get paid enough to sit comfortably(within their reasoning) in a house and play videogames, smoke cigarettes, gamble, drink pop and eat fast food...it's a stigma, but damn accurate. I live in the middle of the welfare province (SK), I know. I don't hide behind socially 'acceptable'' opinions. I've worked many years at jobs that brought me intimately close to people that live the welfare lifestyle...they could try to justify it any way they want, I'm not buying it....well, I am, it comes off my paycheck.

janneman said:

Did anyone of you ask where they would use them for or - that's an idea - actually THOUGHT about that? No? Thought so.

Subs are an excellent means for covert eavesdropping and intell gathering.

Not with a diesel engine designed for trains. There are far less noisy subs.

With Canadian soldiers all over the globe's hotspots as peacekeepers (you DID know that, didn't you?) they would be foolish to rely on other nations sharing intell, which they won't, especially not the americans. I think it is very responsible to have this capability if you take your soldiers seriously.

And, if you think that a crew would just jump into a sub that's been laying there for some time and take it for a spin, well, what can I say?

Jan Didden

I doubt the crew has much choice. BTW the subs were sitting idle for a good few years prior to refit.
Still, if one willingly leases or buys secondhand subs from a bunch as dodgy as Blairs lot, one should not be surprised to find sawdust in the sump and filler in the bodywork. This is, afterall, Perfidious Albion we are talking about, and the Canadians would not be the first victims.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.