Canadian Government buys four used subs, one shorts out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Geek said:
There is a guy living in a decomissioned Russian sub in New Westminster quay. *It's* more functional than our subs :rolleyes:

That's certainly different! I know some folks have been lucky enough to be able to buy decommissioned missle silos in the US and use 'em as their house, I'd do that given the opportunity myself, but never heard of an available submarine. If this guy opened his *house* to tourists he could make a living that way.

janneman said:

Did anyone of you ask where they would use them for or - that's an idea - actually THOUGHT about that? No? Thought so.

Subs are an excellent means for covert eavesdropping and intell gathering. With Canadian soldiers all over the globe's hotspots as peacekeepers (you DID know that, didn't you?) they would be foolish to rely on other nations sharing intell, which they won't, especially not the americans. I think it is very responsible to have this capability if you take your soldiers seriously.

And, if you think that a crew would just jump into a sub that's been laying there for some time and take it for a spin, well, what can I say?

Jan Didden

Yea, of course i asked, i spoke frequently with them. I decided to let them buy and old banger

:rolleyes:

Well actually they would have a use in protecting Canadian sovereinty. If a foreign vessel invaded and challenged our sovereign waters again our armed forces are better equipped. The navy can now load the torpedo tubes with leaflets requesting that our sovereign waters be recognized and quite literally blow a whole shipload of them across the bow of the intruder! Some of you old hands may recall that Canada previously only had this capability in airdrop from Airforce aircraft onto the deck of the intruding ship.

You foreigners better think twice about sending ships to invade Canada. We won't litter your decks with leaflets this time now that we can shove 'em right up your *ss. :bigeyes:

rcavictim said:
Well actually they would have a use in protecting Canadian sovereinty. If a foreign vessel invaded and challenged our sovereign waters again our armed forces are better equipped. The navy can now load the torpedo tubes with leaflets requesting that our sovereign waters be recognized and quite literally blow a whole shipload of them across the bow of the intruder! Some of you old hands may recall that Canada previously only had this capability in airdrop from Airforce aircraft onto the deck of the intruding ship.

You foreigners better think twice about sending ships to invade Canada. We won't litter your decks with leaflets this time now that we can shove 'em right up your *ss. :bigeyes:

I shouldn't worry about torpedo-less subs, we in the UK are about to get fighters with ammo-less guns.
Anyway, Spanish fishermen and geriatric Americans in search of cheaper medicines aside, there is about as much chance of someone invading Canada as there is of Quebec declaring UDI and applying to join the EU.

rfbrw said:
there is about as much chance of someone invading Canada as there is of Quebec declaring UDI and applying to join the EU.

Talk about taking the wind out of our sails, er, I mean water out of our ballast tanks. Nobody wants to invade us?

Living here in the second largest country on earth, I think we should get more recognition among the world's populice. Are we that unimportant? We have lots of things that a militant nation might want from us. They could invade easily.

Oh wait, I forgot about big brother to the south. They wouldn't allow that. We are their friends.

But I digress...

I saw pictures of the inside of the sub. What a blackened mess. I can't begin to imagine the horror of a fire under the water, especially one in the electrical panel that knocks out the lights and power. When the thing filled with smoke, I wonder how many thought: "this might be it" I'm guessing 57. One was right.

RIP Chris Saunders

Cal Weldon said:

I saw pictures of the inside of the sub. What a blackened mess. I can't begin to imagine the horror of a fire under the water,...

Actually the fire occured while the ship was running on the surface. Even so look what problems it caused inside that sealed metal cylinder. Next time the Canadian Navy might consider ordering subs with screen doors! Who says screen doors are useless on submarines? :D Next time one catches on fire they could clear the smoke more readily!

But maybe the point is that we should get our shipyards back into shape and manufacture our own danged submarines!!!!!!

If you only want three or four and have no plans to become a major sub retailer, building your own can be extremely expensive but as you Canadians are about to join the oil rich, throwing money at the defence industry is as good a way to anounce your arrival as any.

Geek said:
LOL! You're right there :D

Our culture would never allow it though. Canada isn't a warrior nation and even owning a shotgun will get you ostracized by the community. I won't even go into how we treat our veterans :(

Not even a little diesel job for sinking Spanish trawlers? I must say I'm a little suprised given Canada is only a hop skip and a jump over the pole from Russia.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.