America bashing vs. European bashing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Well, here is my take on this.

Europe was once great and dominate politically and economically. It in no doubt is still a great place to live and raise your families.

The same can be said about the US, except that as an up and comer the US is dominating on most front, politically, economically, militarily and technologically. Past powers like France have trouble accepting that, fine. If you let the facts speak, well, you wouldn't disagree: i can buy french companies cheap, lay off its employees (through social planning), and sell them off at handsome profits by essentially instilling the US mentality / capitalism. It is not that Europeans don't like the US ways, it is just that they tend to be affraid of doing something to their status quo to get there.

The two places are different, and it is hard to argue which is better. I like the US because it is a winner-take-all society where talents are better rewarded.

I would have loved the quality of life in Europe but if I don't work 60-hour weeks here, somebody else will and I will be out of a job.

Take the silly example of who pollutes more. Have you ever noticed how good the paints on your MB or BMW are? Well, that comes at a price too: europeans use mostly solvent-based paint. They are very harm to discharge. But they are absolutely beautiful to look at, and last forever.

Most US manufacturers on the other hand have switched to water-based paint in the mid to late 1990s, because of environmental concerns associated with oil paint.

People will just have to accept the reality that our life style (or life style choices) is different and stop proclaiming one's superiority and let others live their separate lives.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
leadbelly said:
Not that's funny! I love the schtick about the US being more environmentally friendly than Germany!

I know, it can be challenging to simple minds that the world is a lot more complicated than what a simple blanket statement can cover. It turns out that on even simple subjects like environmental protection, one country will be better than others in one area and worse in others.

I know that can be very hard to understand. Sorry for that.

millwood said:
I know, it can be challenging to simple minds that the world is a lot more complicated than what a simple blanket statement can cover.

Ohhh! I get it! So when you went ahead and did an evaluation of pro's vs con's according to millwood, you were pointing out to the Europeans that some of what they have is good! I'm sure they'll sleep better at night knowing some of it looks good to you.

I still love that 60 hrs/week schtick. It reminds me of what recruiters coach you to say during a job interview. "When they ask you to name one of your weaknesses, say: 'I work too hard.'"

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
leadbelly said:
I still love that 60 hrs/week schtick.

it is a choice that I have made. I opt to make more money over living an easy life. Everyone of us makes similar choices, nothing to be ashamed of.

Actually, more often than not, I work more than 60hrs a week. as long as I am happy, i don't give a rat's rear-end how others think.

Europe was once great and dominate politically and economically. It in no doubt is still a great place to live and raise your families.

Europe still is a great place to live...On the most recent list of countries with the highest Human Development Index ...is
1.) Norway
2.) Sweden
3.) Australia
4.) Canada
5.) Netherlands
6.) Belgium
7.) Iceland
8.) United States of America
9.) Japan
10.) Ireland

Source : http://hdr.undp.org/docs/statistics/indices/index_tables.pdf

But you know what? Europe is a better place nowadays BECAUSE it is NOT "Great" in the sense that you use it!

Because if you compared Europe when it was great...and compare it to America now....America would look like pansies! You would be insignificant compared to the atrocities Europe "performed" on the world.

Bas Horneman said:

Europe still is a great place to live...On the most recent list of countries with the highest standard of living ...is
1.) Norway
2.) Sweden
3.) Canada
4.) Australia
5.) Netherlands
6.) Belgium
7.) United States of America
Dunno the rest...

You know I'm a little cheesed about this list. After a decade or more of
being number 1 or 2, I see Canada has slipped to (I believe it's 4th actually Bas, with Australia 3rd).
So now that the country isn't as great to live in, maybe I'll have more time on my hands like the rest of you to argue points that sometimes show merit but for the most part show a need for oneupsmanship.

You men should take up gardening. It's good for your insides.

In a protagonist/antagonist (I can say as I please because I'm behind a computer) situation, it seems the barking is louder than perhaps it would be in person.

Don't some of you have sore heads from banging them against the wall? Why the desire to prolong the headache?

I might suggest there are better things in your life than a well cloaked long distance frustration outlet. Your family comes to mind.

Just my thoughts on a sunny Sunday in Vancouver,

Cheers to you all,

Cal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.