Tinnitus... anyone else got it?

On the tinnitus thing. I have had a pure tone of about 3/4 KHz in both ears for many years and this varies and can disappear. I've never experienced loud noises other than the occasional trip to the local cinema. The tinnitus never stops me enjoying music. An occasional contributor here said that Gilbert Briggs (loudspeaker designer) had an associate who could detect subtleties in crossover design and it was discovered he had tinnitus. Draw your own conclusions.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm surprised I've not posted in this thread. I have tinitus, I think mine is a few frequencies above about 14K it's not pure. The odd thing is I can't hear anything real above about 13K. It does vary in intensity.

I've had it since I was a kid. I can remember lying in bed at night wondering where that high pitched tone was coming from (back then it was a pure tone). Now it is a bit more like very high pitched cicada's.

It's interesting about the orange juice. I drink about 1/2 litre of orange juice a day.

I don't always notice it, but I think it is always there.

I suspect that it was made worse by school discos. I can remember a few where I had ringing ears after.

Tony.

Yes. I don’t even notice it 41 years later because the Meniere’s Disease that caused or followed it progressed (~20 years) to severe case MD called Stage 4 (not fatal but it’s typically a self-terminating condition @ 10-15 yrs)). By severe I mean inner ear problems affected the balance nerve next with vertigo/vestibular problems. I’ll spare the next three chapters...tinnitus was least of my problems.

Don’t worry...you have little else in common so that’s not on your horrorscope.

Not a fun experience but other than that I’m rediculously healthy and glad I don’t have the health problems others my age do.

And I get to buy cheapo in-ear earbuds because why pay for expensive ones I can only use half of?

I thought I was tone deaf because a US telephone dial tone sounded like two different pitches. I was playing saxophones then and it was depressing.

My next job was a datacomm network engineer and I learned US dial tone DOES contain two frequencies...something like 350 & 440 Hz. Meniere’s can cause LF hearing loss vs. normal aging HF loss. I had a 60 dB sharp rolloff around 400 Hz. I could hear both tones one ear but only the higher one in the bad ear...subjectively this sounded like a high tone and low tone to my assumption they should be the same. It was a relief to learn I wasn’t tone deaf. Small victory!

Tinnitus is often associated with hearing loss in the higher registers, a theory being the brain is somehow trying to compensate for what it isn't hearing. Due to my tinnitus I'm eligible for a couple of hearing aids which provide boost for my high frequency hearing loss. They do seem to help.
I think music can help too, I find if I listened for a while to music with a relatively high treble content it does seem to help, does anybody else find music helps or does it hinder?

Attachments

• 26793792_10155867539530149_1880428309_n.jpg
    26793792_10155867539530149_1880428309_n.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 250
See there's a lot of vitamin stuff people mention here htat seems to help tor the varoius subjects involved on their tinnitus.

Funny thing: been working under all sorts of conditions for lots of years, had up to 16750 hz until a couple years ago, and only my ears internal resonance to deal with (one is always lower than the the other y'know, to separate the signals, since the brain interprets a mono signal). But after an un-prepared meeting with a job concerning an asphalt saw, I got Tinnitus on the same frequency spectra as my fluorescent lights at work?!? It's mostly on my left ear, because my right is dampened by something that 5causes distortion on large swings of the ear drum, dunno wtf it is, had it checked and the "doctor" investigating was clueless... Not to mention that the so-called "sound proof room" used for checking the hearing was so full of noise I am surprised if they ever find anything useful in there. I was so annoyed afterwards I just did not say anything. Better to find a way to accept the noise by myself, doubt it will happen though. To now I have a constant noise at 10khz, and perceive nothing over 13500hz, thank you asphalt saw, that makes noise in a completely different frequency band. Too much office work afterwards I guess.

Last edited: