Tinnitus... anyone else got it?

Since we are reviving this old thread...
One of the saddest days for me was about 20 years ao when the audiologist said there was nothing I could to "cure" my tinnitus and suggested I take up TM meditation. I had a severe ear infection, both ears, my left was swollen shut. I went to the audiologist about 8 years later and got the bad news. I am only good to about 10k in my left ear and it falls off rapidly from there, I can get to about 14k in my right... Oh well at least I can hear and still enjoy the music.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I worked hospitality in kitchens and subsequently a number of bars throughout high school and university (studying but not finishing EE, CS and Psych) and put the last few nails in the audible coffin working with electricians. I've a constant ringing in both ears and a sense of constant pressure in the right ear.

My only consolation is that I'm better off than my Dad, and he still loves listening to music; there's hope then I guess.

Shame that genetics suggests I've worse to come! Best I enjoy this hobby as much as I can now :)

I was diagnosed with Sensory Neural Hearing Loss in the NAVY (1975). I was a radio operator on a P3-A/B Orion. Since my hearing was tested when I joined the damage was determined to be duty related(I volunteered for Sonar Operator duty but failed for tone discrimination).

I did my share of fireworks, firearms and concerts along with lawn mowers and attendance at drag races where the engine noise was so loud you could feel it beating your chest.

My loss was originally a 4Kz notch. It has now spread upward to 10KHz.

Interestingly enough, I don't play music very loud, and enjoy it below 60dB fast when wearing my hearing aids (don't remember the weighting, probably "C"), as measured with a cheap RS spl meter.

Since my hearing loss is "Service Connected" I get hearing aids at the local VA.

When I first got out of the NAVY, the local (Columbia SC) VA could not find any record of my being grounded for hearing loss.

I found a copy of the order when going through some records in 1987. When I was tested at Mountain Home VA I was not a candidate for hearing aids until 1990.

The hearing aids really make listening to music a lot more enjoyable.

Funny thing is, I can hear the chirp of an Ultrasonic dog training tool with the hearing aids.

I have solved the problem Rega dac !

wm8741 dac with the digital filter n5 , the apodizing filter ,like Meridian or Ayre filter
Apodizing filter don't have a pre ringing like the brickwall and dont have digital noise at out -100db on test lab noise stop band

discrete output ,smooth sound ,can found used ....well build ,usb only 16 44/48 but spdf 24/192khz no dsd

TINNiTUS free at last for me !!!

Ofton taking about 50mg of zinc helps it some it did mine. I am 63 and have some high frequency hearing loss in both ears. In my right ear I can hear up to about
14k the left ear is realy different. I have some REVESIBLE hearing loss in it. Usualy anything above 5k I just can't hear at all. But if I take about 15 mg of manganese
after a few days i can hear up to about 13k. Skip it for a week or so and the hearing
loss comes back. To get 15mg I break up a tablet and only take part of it. If I take
a whole 50mg it sorts of constipated me and I am leary of taking that much every day as it is one mineral that can be a little toxic.

One other thing about high frequency hearing loss. Years ago in an alternet health
book Life Extention by Pearson and Shaw ( I may have spelled the authors names wrong and am not positive of the book tital.) There was a discusion of the drug Hydrogen. Now this drug is sometimes used in dementia with a dosage of between
.25 and .5mg a day. Well these dudes and a couple of there collages started taking it
in the 10 to 15mg range and notice it ofton restored high frequency hearing loss after
about 6 to 9 months. I think the people had to work up to this dosage verry slowley.
I think it runs about $90 a month for the .5mg pills so this could be rather expensive . But for those of you who can afford a field coil Feastrex it might be worth a try.

I haven't kept up with this thread over the years so it might be a good place to mention the simple effortless technique that totally rid me of tinnitus, CPS (Cocktail Party Syndrome) and the occasional bout of Miniere's - see my post #12 on this thread.

Recently I have noticed a difficulty with picking out individual voices in noisy environments so assumed a re-occurance of the CPS and some low level tinnitus crept back also.

The good news is that about 50 hours of listening (about 3 hours a day at 'just audible' level) to the same original cassettes on the same ol' cassette player again rid me of this problem, so the solution does work after the last couple of years of pretty trouble free hearing.

The system out here is mainly promoted by the "Sound Therapy International" Group but similar systems and centres are readily available all around the world - see Dr Tomatis on the web.

Aron,

Suggest you check out the "Sound Therapy" people over there in Perth - from Google, it appears that a Simone Collins of "Totally Sound Health" in Canningvale is the Perth person for the Tomatis system

I use the 'old way' of cassette and tapes but I understand the digital method achieves similar results.

Curiously, I understand that hearing loss and degradation aren't automatically linked to age or genetics (mostly abuse/diet related) and despite 'official medical opinions', is relatively straight forward to fix for most people.

At one point when it was bad for me, I couldn't even stand upright with my eyes shut and doing the shopping at a supermarket a nightmare with included random 'deaf & dumb' hand waving included

Probably the best/worst 'considered opinion' from a 'so-called expert' (a consultant, what else!) was a $360, 3 minute conversation ending in "Go and get the pension, son, as your useful working life is finished" - not the best day I had!

I don't remember when it started, or why. But for at least the last seven to ten years (starting sometime in my forties, I guess) I have had a constant high-frequency sound in both ears. It's similar to the background sound made by thousands of insects that you hear if you go outside in the evening, out in the country, in warm weather, here in southern Indiana. Occasionally it sounds a little more like a single tone, somewhat like the whine of a jet turbine combined with rushing air from a small nozzle (like being in a taxiing airliner that has rear engines, but not quite sitting ALL the way back in the tail). It seems to get louder when it gets to be past my bedtime. Maybe my brain gets too tired to block it out quite as well. If I'm thinking about something else, or doing something, often I can completely block it out, without even realizing it.

It doesn't seem to interfere with listening to music, usually, that I have noticed. But I do also have high-frequency hearing loss, down to 10 kHz or lower in one ear and 12 kHz or so in the other one.

Getting old isn't so great, in a lot of ways.

Yeah Tom, that's the tinnitus alright - a real pest of a thing.

About your hearing - the tests that indicate 'hearing loss' are simply based on "threshold perception" and it's all about frequency to minimum sensitivity - fortunately, most real life is about listening to sound well above this minimum level and so actual hearing loss isn't exactly the same as perception levels.

For example, if music has high freq content above say, 12kHz but at about 85dB, I'm pretty sure you'll either hear it accurately okay but maybe at 65dB it won't be so audible (ie, some low level high freq detail will be missing) - however, as most of this high freq has lots of over & undertones, your listening ability won't suffer much despite this apparent measured deterioration.

A bit off the subject but ..

I do like your 'fullnet' diagrams - could you get them to add this as a 'sticky' on the power supply forum listing - even after all the years this has been well known, it's still facing such resistance from people that should know better (just more of the "Common Knowledge Misinformation" that abounds)

And possibly, AndrewT's old circuit diagram with the arrows showing the circulating current loops and power capacitors.

Good points, jh.

Did I read your other post, correctly, that you got rid of the tinnitus?! I will have to see what's available, for that!

Yeah, I just started using that plot link in my signature, a couple of days ago. I really should re-write the text on it, now that it's getting more exposure.

Anybody can play around with the same stuff and reproduce similar plots for whatever amplifier, power supply, and WAV files they like, by starting with the simulation schematic and models that I attached to the post at:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/powe...evoir-capacitors-chip-amps-2.html#post3607678

(The needed LT-Spice simulation software is a FREE download, at http://www.linear.com .)

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Yeah Tom, clean as a whistle!!

Actually, about 10 years ago I got onto this Tomatis Sound Therapy scheme from the people in Sydney out here in Oz - it was a set of cassettes and I just put on a small set of headphones playing very quietly and went about the daily job and after about 2 weeks the tinnitus suddenly dropped right back but the CPS didn't and after about another 2 weeks the tinnitus just faded away and the CPS took another week or so of a gradual improvement -
This lasted for some years and after then the CPS returned slowly but I just ignored it until the faint tinnitus returned so that's when I got the old cassettes/player out again and did the same routine - it didn't take long this time for a clean hearing again.

One of the best things was the elimination of this extra nasty called Miniere's syndrome - it's a bloody awful feeling of falling all the time and I tried a walker frame and other things but I still couldn't stay vertical and kneeling wasn't too good either - was crawling on the floor for days like army basics - absolutely ghastly feeling - got knock-out pills - thank goodness only occasionally - hasn't returned and vastly relieved.

My threshold perception also rolls off about 10 - 12kHz but no problems in sorting out the overtones in church bell tones and cymbol trimming as it's the balance of harmonics that is more significant with this part of the listening, IMO - no doubt there's oodles of stuff I'm missing but I just don't get concerned about it any more - I was involved with a live recording recently and had a great deal of trouble convincing "the guy" that he had the cymbol mikes out of phase, if that's any indication that even with our 'older ears', we can still listen well and sort out o'tones, beats and phase anomalies in the 'top end'!

Yes, as Timar linked, there are quite a few different ways of getting rid of this 'pest' and as usual, different techniques work for different people
- and then there are others that have severely damaged hearing that little, if anything, can fix so those expert consultants do have a place in the system, I guess, but I just wish they'd open their minds to other possibilities (I've been saying that for awhile!)

Haven't followed your Resevoir Caps thread for awhile - jeez, the sim model has expanded on your last post!

Check your vitamin D levels and after you have verified that they are low or much to low (70 to 90% will have to low levels) - then order vitamin D3 in 10.000IU strength and after 1 to 2 month you should have registered improvements. There will also be other effects like: Improved physical and psychologic conditions, reduction of pains, gray hair can get back the natural color, hair can become curly and if you are bald - even new hair growth may happen, hormone levels will change and reflect a 10 - 20 years younger health situation, allergic conditions will improve, vision may improve so much that you may need new glasses etc. etc.
However it may take a year before the full effect are registered, and in the first 3 - 4 weeks you may get worse and get pains and reaction as the body´s immune system have been kicked into action and will start repairing old injuries that have been dormant for years or even decades. Regarding tinnitus both the change in hormone levels and a slowly repair process of the central nervous system can reduce and possibly remove the tinnitus symptoms - even if the symptoms may become worse the first weeks..

Last edited: