Tinnitus... anyone else got it?

Since a year ago my health deteriorated even further and got among several neuropathic issues a faint high pitched tinnitus and vertigo, some times it would be stronger and lower in frequency, among all the issues at first I thought it was partially also Menieres disease when I came to suspect there's something with the table salt, tried a few different brands until I switched to coarse salt grains which doesn't contain any Iodine or anticaking agents which oddly helped, but I'm still not good as am suffering from a leaky gut due to gluten intolerance and destroyed intestine so the food passes unprocessed too easily through the gut into the bloodstream and the blood-brain barrier and there's where the immune system can cause havoc on the nerves, long story short while being on a super strict diet for the past few weeks the tinnitus is finally getting better, almost completely gone.

btw, I use to put on a low frequency rumbling sound track on when going to sleep, besides raising the background noise threshold from disturbing neighbors etc. it seems to be soothing on ones ears too as it helps to drown the tinnitus into the noise.
Here's one 10 hour track you can try:
Youtube - Rumble Works -Ambient Low Frequency Noise for Ten Hours

ps. for coffee lovers, stay away from light roast, it is much more acidic and worse for the stomach, I have found out that the very dark like french roast are the best, googling around confirms this, also it may be a good idea trying ecological in order to lower the pesticide load on ones body.

I'm not sure about it being a "natural aspect" of the perception system. For me it's certainly worsened over the years - perhaps imaginarily so with decline in mid to upper HF response as noted by the past 25yrs annual workplace hearing tests.

I certainly don't not notice it - for me it's modulated both in frequency content and to a lesser degree amplitude - sleep is the hardest.

But it's better than not perceiving anything, and IIWII

I think I have it
39years old

got ear infection and it buzzed for close to1 month. (both ear but louder on one side)

now, it's been 5 weeks that the infection is gone and it still buzz 24/7.
not loud as before but definitively noticeable at bed time.

Before the infection, I do not remember that it was buzzing at all.
if it was, I surely never noticed it.

Seeing an audiologist in few days.
hopefully, it's a something else.

I have had tinnitus for a few years after stress buildup from job and family health situations.

My "tone" is in both ears and is about 15kHz, sounds like a TV flyback transformer in my head.

I find I have to have music or white noise to mask it in order to get good sleep. Jazz does a good job and so does a fan.

My wife is an audiologist and for my first job I designed hearing aid circuits with noise filtering. We tried different things to counter it. No luck. Most hearing aids do not go to my frequency to mask it and I really do not want to listen to my system through hearing aids anyhow.

Most hearing aids have automatic gain compression (to limit max SPL to the eardrum) and different attack / release time in the compression. Nowadays they pack a small processor into the hearing aid so signal processing is a lot better. However, the hearing aid receiver and its driver has to all operate within a 1.4V hearing aid battery limit and still is just as crappy sounding as ever.

Although I have to say I keep teasing my wife that the hearing aid manufacturer's life and the audiologist's job will be changing. What with the convenient and constantly improving processing power of the mobile phones, proliferation and even hipness of wireless ear pieces plus popularity of ear pieces with stage performers, the hearing aid is going to be embedded into mobile phones. There I see chances of doing something relatively hi fi and being able to mask some types of tinnitus.

When I was first given mine by the audiologist he explained how there might be a slight echo due to the delay in the processing of the high frequencies he said most people didn't notice it, I tried them and it was very noticeable and quite off putting. I don't wear them much usually just around the house and sometimes in company or to watch the television, they're fine for speech of course that is the primary function, hopelessly for music and they are aware of it. These are National Health ones though so.............

Scott, what hearing aids do you have?

I have Phonaks.

I work with my audiologist to adjust the hearing aids to suite me. I have four modes.

1 Adaptive filtering. Should filter broadband background noise.
2 low pass filtering with adaptive filtering. this should be good in small rooms with many (10-15) people where voice band noise is an issue. Also good with conference room phones.
3 straight low pass filtering
4 No filtering, No bandpass limit to the limit of the amplifier chain. No adaptive filtering. I specified this mode to allow me to listen to the TV and Stereo.