Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Tinnitus.. anyone else got it?
Tinnitus.. anyone else got it?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2018, 08:44 PM   #171
rss388 is offline rss388  United States
diyAudio Member

Most hearing aids have automatic gain compression (to limit max SPL to the eardrum) and different attack / release time in the compression. Nowadays they pack a small processor into the hearing aid so signal processing is a lot better. However, the hearing aid receiver and its driver has to all operate within a 1.4V hearing aid battery limit and still is just as crappy sounding as ever.
Old 15th January 2018, 08:50 PM   #172
rss388 is offline rss388  United States
diyAudio Member

Although I have to say I keep teasing my wife that the hearing aid manufacturer's life and the audiologist's job will be changing. What with the convenient and constantly improving processing power of the mobile phones, proliferation and even hipness of wireless ear pieces plus popularity of ear pieces with stage performers, the hearing aid is going to be embedded into mobile phones. There I see chances of doing something relatively hi fi and being able to mask some types of tinnitus.
Old 15th January 2018, 10:12 PM   #173
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

When I was first given mine by the audiologist he explained how there might be a slight echo due to the delay in the processing of the high frequencies he said most people didn't notice it, I tried them and it was very noticeable and quite off putting. I don't wear them much usually just around the house and sometimes in company or to watch the television, they're fine for speech of course that is the primary function, hopelessly for music and they are aware of it. These are National Health ones though so.............
Old 15th January 2018, 10:52 PM   #174
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

T is not that bad actually.
Just don`t give it any attention.
Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM   #175
gpauk is offline gpauk  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Some good news, perhaps:
Auditory-somatosensory bimodal stimulation desynchronizes brain circuitry to reduce tinnitus in guinea pigs and humans | Science Translational Medicine
"...when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, ... your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind..." Lord Kelvin

Tinnitus.. anyone else got it?Hide this!Advertise here!