That's such a shame that there's no topic about wine here!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With all the wine amateurs here, it's strange that there's no topic about wine!

Let's try to remedy this ;)

I remembered a conversation I had here with Grey, about american wine.
Yesterdey my father and I opened a bottle that an american friend offered us, a wine from the Alexander Valley (nice name :D) called Symmetry.

And I was surprised! I didn't know that american wines were so nice.
Grey told me that those meritage wines try to reproduce Bordeaux, they do it pretty well! Except from the smell of red fruits that was more present, the difference is subtile. This wine had everything I like: powerfull, refined, just as tannic as I like, and a taste that stays long in the mouth.

A really good experience.

But of course you're free to talk about french wines

Alex

We drift in and out of this on occasion. Not enough discussion about Alsace, though. As for provenance, I've had superb wines from France, California, New Jersey (!), Washington, Oregon, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Moldava, Lebanon, New York, Chile, Argentina, Italy, Spain, Portugal....

I'm moving this over to Off Topic, since... it's Off Topic.

If you liked the Rodney Strong Symmetry, you might also try:

Davis Bynum "Westside Road"
Fess Parker"Meritage"
Simi "Tapestry

and many others - to include Opus One.

O, for something different, some of the white "meritage" stuff can be tasty as well - e.g. St. Supery Meritage or Caymus "Conundrum"....

Cheers!

Sy is probably right so I can't estimate *what* any of them might cost there. Back home in California I'd say "roughly US$18 to US$25" for any of the above - except for the Opus (around $100 or more).

I probably have as much difficulty as you'd have finding it - and at a reasonable price - here in the Washington DC area...:( Everyone here seems to think Kendall-Jackson is the only American wine made...;) Sigh... hopefully back home within the year!

chipco3434 said:
French wines? They're all grown on American rootstock. Google Phylloxera.

True. America gave Europe the bacteria and the cure :)

Anyway, as many US wine producer knows, the wine is greatly the product of the process from the grape to the bottle, and is not exclusively related to the quality of the grape.

I love wine, I'm a sommelier (not professional) and I always have great time in Napa Valley, Washington, Oregon and anywere some _good_ wines are made.

Anyway, in the important moments, I'm not able to choose wines that are outside France or Italy... :)

bye,

Not that I am much of a wine drinker, but I did start the thread "Do any of you music lovers brew your own" so you can see where my interests lie.

I am curious however about the wines of Canada's B.C. Okanagan region. I hear they win awards all the time but I would be interested in knowing how the public feels about them.

Are they available in many parts of the world?

How do thet stack up?

Cal :drink:

I hope you like this red wine.

Chris

Attachments

• p7030024.jpg
    p7030024.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 97
'70 Latour is terrific, absolutely first-rate mature Bordeaux. The '70 d'Yquem is solid, but not a great d'Yquem- it was a dryish year where there was no pourriture noble, so while the wine is sweet and weighty, it lacks the ultimate complexity of great d'Yquems like the '67 or the '21.

It's 40 degrees C here today, so we're sipping on something a bit more prosaic, a Bugey-Cerdon from Renardat-Fache. It's a totally non-serious pink sparkling wine made from Gamay and Poulsard, sweetish, low alcohol (maybe 8%), redolent of strawberries, but with an interesting earthy streak to it. Very authentic and pretty cheap. My picnic wine of choice.

Accompanied by the dulcet strains of Tony Rice and Peter Rowan played through tubes and panels.

I remember Grey me about Zinfandel some months ago.

Today I recieved an advertising from a supermarket near my home, they have a big "wine discount" with many many different wines. and they have a Zinfandel, from "Wente Vineyards Selection", 2001. It's quite cheap (around 5€) so probably not the best one, but the price is low enough to buy one and taste it.

What does Zinfaldel look like (or taste like :clown: ) ? What can we eat with it? Or do I simply have to open a bottle, put a nice cd in the player, and enjoy?

BTW, I rarely taste wines from outside France. I think it's time for me to discover what other countries have, and there seems to be plenty (not to say that knowing french wines is already a huge work) , what's worth the try?

Bricolo said:
I remember Grey me about Zinfandel some months ago.

Today I recieved an advertising from a supermarket near my home, they have a big "wine discount" with many many different wines. and they have a Zinfandel, from "Wente Vineyards Selection", 2001. It's quite cheap (around 5€) so probably not the best one, but the price is low enough to buy one and taste it.

What does Zinfaldel look like (or taste like :clown: ) ? What can we eat with it? Or do I simply have to open a bottle, put a nice cd in the player, and enjoy?

BTW, I rarely taste wines from outside France. I think it's time for me to discover what other countries have, and there seems to be plenty (not to say that knowing french wines is already a huge work) , what's worth the try?

Try down under!

Originally posted by chris ma
Try down under!

I think he might mean here in Australia. Not that I know much about wine at all, but we have lots and lots of wine making regions around here like the Hunter Valley, the Barossa Valley, the Margaret River, and the Yarra Valley. I no doubt have forgotten the vast majority of them...

EDIT: Of course some make rather cheap wine, but (so I'm told) the better quality wines are very good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.