Media crap...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sulfuric acid can be used as a blister agent, but it more commonly can increase the size of conventional explosions, according to U.S. officials.
This is a quote from CNN.

Note: according to US officials

Where is the world heading to?
Soon the officials will inform about everything, and anybody else is ignored... or?

This thread would be a nice place to post all kind of media crap(please quote).

It just happened that I saw this on CNN:

cobranded.banner.struggle.jpg

In case the image will be gone, it contained a text that read: The struggle for Iraq.
For gods sake... Is this for Iraq? Isn't this an insult for the intellect? Or do the american people really indulge themselfs with such crap? It's really hard to believe they do...

for Iraq, ha? or is the Iraq the 5x'st state?(x >= 1)

Iraq gains early sovereignty
Iraq handover of sovereignty completed
Hey stupids... is today the 01.04 somehow? The year doesn't matter anyway...
Handover bla completed... Really?
Not only that, but it was also a surprise move two days before the June 30 deadline. Wow, what a surprise... LOL

millwood said:

I always try to understand the methods used for brainwashing :D
Unlike you, I don't like to have a happier life by living in ignorance. My sources of information are as var as possible.
As about the word hate... I wouldn't put it like that. No way. But of course, could someone expect more than either with us or against us from the likes of you? I doubt it.

roibm said:
I always try to understand the methods used for brainwashing :D
Unlike you, I don't like to have a happier life by living in ignorance. My sources of information are as var as possible.

That's a bold statement. Since I have yet to come across a news channel that was without its own bias, can you enlighten us to your methods that have led you to finding the "truth"?

leadbelly said:

That's a bold statement. Since I have yet to come across a news channel that was without its own bias, can you enlighten us to your methods that have led you to finding the "truth"?

a bold statement demands a similar one.
as about the truth... how to put it, please quote me where I said I have found the truth? The truth usually lies in the middle...
The fact is, few know precisely what's really going on regarding something. What I am trying to do is get somehow informed by reading from all sides and trying to make an opinion about something myself. Is that the truth? Tell me the person who can tell that for sure and wise man are you.

roibm said:
Unlike you, I don't like to have a happier life by living in ignorance.

roibm said:
What I am trying to do is get somehow informed by reading from all sides and trying to make an opinion about something myself.

OK, so you admit that you have no special way to discern truth, but merely strive to form your own opinions. So ignorance is just doing a poor job by viewing singular news media, and lack of ignorance is demonstrated by viewing multiple sources and averaging the results?
How big is your sample? US media? BBC? Al-Jazeera? How do you average polar opposites?

millwood said:
why don't you just stick to european media to have a happier life?

:follow up:

roibm said:

Unlike you, I don't like to have a happier life by living in ignorance.

:follow up:

roibm said:
What I am trying to do is get somehow informed by reading from all sides and trying to make an opinion about something myself.

read it within the context. don't except.
if you know of a better way to get informed, let me know. maybe you know of a one-stop source I missed.

Rob M said:

In English this means the "struggle for [control of] Iraq", not the "struggle for [the benefit of] Iraq". Maybe it's just the brainwashing talking, but really don't think anyone could deny that there's a struggle for control of Iraq going on.
But then again, it is not struggle for iraq itself...

Maybe I don't understand english well enough, but for me struggle for/[to do] something is both referring to control and benefit("The struggle for one's life"), and the difference is dictated by the context. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

roibm said:
Maybe I don't understand english well enough, but for me struggle for/[to do] something is both referring to control and benefit("The struggle for one's life"), and the difference is dictated by the context. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Try this:

http://www.google.com/search?q="struggle+for"&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

If "X struggles for Y", there's an implicature that "X desires Y", and it's a small step from there to "Y would benefit X" (or at least "X thinks Y would benefit X"). Y doesn't necessarily benefit -- in fact, Y is usually either abstract ("justice") or inanimate ("oil").

(Warning: I'm a linguist by trade, so I care about these things more than is really healthy.)

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
I'm with Rob.

I think the headline clearly means "the struggle for the control of Iraq", not "The struggle for the benefit of Iraq".

Maybe it's a language thing, maybe it's a transatlantic thing, (although Rob lived in Holland for years). But I think few Americans would interpret that headline as meaning "The struggle for the benefit of Iraq", regardless of their political stance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.