Magpie Swoop

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...and it's only late August. There's perhaps one of the many examples of the effects of Global Warming. This is one of the good reasons to do audio stuff. It's a great distraction. No need to think about the outside world. Just audioland.

I grew up in Emu Plains. There where magpies everywhere from mid Sept to late November. I never got used to them unless I was on by pushbike, helmet on.

Invite them into your family and you have a friend for life. A bit of food helps with the bond. Our pair are currently nesting.

Great for keeping bugs under control in the garden and they get rid of Indian Mynas.

Attachments

• maggie.jpg
    maggie.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 137
Do they attack people?

Oh yes!
They are pretty bold birds, most of the year that makes them quite likable.
They will follow at your feet as you work in the garden, pick up and eat any grubs that become exposed.
Or wait amiably, as you eat a snack, for tidbits that you drop or throw them, even "call" for more.
But around nest season some become very territorial and defensive, and some think the best defense is a preemptive attack.
Most people don't take it too personally, so there are mixed emotions this time of year.
It's kind of a seasonal ritual, like the first swallow of summer in Britain, but with more blood.

Best wishes
David

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
We had a couple of generations of Maggies that'd come and hang out at my parents house. They'd get fed often enough that they decided to hang around. It was actually quite lovely until a neighbor with cats moved in.

I don't think I ever got swooped in the backyard, but I certainly remember flying a kite that got the bejeebus beaten out of it by a rather feisty Maggie.

The colourful life of the Australian Magpie - Off Track - ABC Radio National (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
We love them, hate them, fear them and we probably don’t know as much about them as we should. The Australian Magpie is named for their wonderful song: Cracticus tibicen, where tibicen means ‘flautist’. These are our biggest song birds. They're clothed in strident black plumage with splashes of white, they have a square tail, a powerful beak used for probing deep beneath the soil. Common, yes, and widely distributed across the continent.
Making friends with magpies - RN Drive - ABC Radio National (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Anyone who's ever been repeatedly victimised by a magpie can tell you they remember faces and hold grudges.But an animal behaviour expert from the University of New England says you can, and should, make friends with them.
Dan.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
aussie aussie aussie!
YouTube

Speaking of birds in general, brushed up against a tree the other night on my regular walk and a massive bat flew off into the distance, could feel the wind being pushed against me as he flew off, wingspan must've been at least 3/4 of a meter. Also saw a huge crow out on the powerlines pestering a smaller bird's nesting area the other day.

For the yanks: we have possums, bats, rats, cats, mice, lice, fleas, bees and trees. Oh and craploads of dogs.

Last edited:
The only birds that attack people here in the UK are owls if you climb up to there nests.
The other common bird to attack people are herring gulls when they are nesting on buildings.
Even away from there nests they have been known to swoop down and snatch food from peoples hands. They will not wait for tit bits.

Attachments

• dscf1263.jpg
    dscf1263.jpg
    632.8 KB · Views: 63
  • dscf1261.jpg
    dscf1261.jpg
    670.4 KB · Views: 63
Was on my pushy on 15 August and one maggie got me on the cheek. He/she was the first one that I have seen (or did not see in this case until it was too late) getting territorial this season. The little champion drew blood but I cannot help but admire them the way they go about their business scaring kids, drawing blood and making some people wear the most hilarious headgear to keep them from striking.

The only birds that attack people here in the UK are owls if you climb up to there nests.
The other common bird to attack people are herring gulls when they are nesting on buildings.
Even away from there nests they have been known to swoop down and snatch food from peoples hands. They will not wait for tit bits.

Is Aus we have the Magpie that is most of the time a delight to be around and the other quarter of the year keep you laughing.

Another bird, the Plover, is larger than a maggie but nests in grass on the ground and has a rather large defensive perimeter. It has spurs on it wings and can do some real damage when it strikes. But baby plovers are just about the cutest thing on the planet so when hatching is happening and there are loads of cute furry babies running around on the ground it is all worth it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Was on my pushy on 15 August and one maggie got me on the cheek. He/she was the first one that I have seen (or did not see in this case until it was too late) getting territorial this season. The little champion drew blood but I cannot help but admire them the way they go about their business scaring kids, drawing blood and making some people wear the most hilarious headgear to keep them from striking.
Did you listen to those ABC Podcasts I linked ?.....take some mince with you next time and the bird will recognise you as a friend into the future.

Dan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.