Auto racing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I like the idea of keeping things fair, however, I really don’t like to see innovation held back...

I guess it depends on the situation, and how it’s applied/dealt. For example, you knowingly change something that effects the way an engine is constructed right after a team has spent its budget on development/replacement engines; not cool.

I can tell you that I don't like. What's 'fair'. The BOP is never right. Some races BOTH ford GTs dominate. In some races it's the two Corvettes. In some races, a whole herd of Mercedes GT3s dominate. I've heard that at some tracks, the BOP can actually be changed mid race by those running the race (Nurburgring was specifically mentioned for this).

NASCAR is the worst. All cars shaped the same, same power. It bunches everyone up and many times the winner isn't the one who was the best that day. It was simply the one who avoided the crashes or had the best pit stops. If you want to see pit crews compete, have a competition dedicated just to that.

Some say that manufacturers would not show up if they were not competitive.

This is what I'd like to see. Cars racing (any car, any price range) all on the track together. The cars wouldn't race each other. It would be more of a showcase for the cars and allow people to see how they compare.

The rules would be that no car can have ANY service other than cleaning the windshield, fuel and tires. NOTHING can be done to modify the car. ALL parts and features have to be readily available from the manufacturer to anyone who buys a car from the local car dealer. This means that not even the air filter can be anything other than one from the manufacturer's parts supply. The only modification would be a choice of tires but they must be used on the OEM rims.

If scoring was desired, it would not be based on the lap times alone but would include cost (sticker price of the car in the country where the race is being held) among other things. For example, a McLaren 720s would beat a Camaro ZL1 1LE but if the Camaro was very nearly as fast, completely reliable and 1/4 of the price, many people would see that as a win for the Camaro.

I'm sick of having everything be equal. Some things are better. Get over it. I want to see for myself how the cars perform.

I'm not saying that BOP should be eliminated. Clearly some people like it but I want the red pill when I watch racing.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Thank the God's there is an unlimited class in most forms of engine powered racing. Top Fuel AA class, unlimited Hydroplane etc. yes there are some limits but they are far enough away to leave some room for innovation. And then there is the really unlimited competition ... world land/water/air speed record attempts. etc.

-Richard

Balance Of Performance. They choke down the more capable vehicles to make it competitive. They even make sure that the fuel flow rate into the car varies for cars with different capacities so all take precisely the same time to fill.

Indy isn't BOP but they have spec chassis. the 24 hours of lemans has BOP for each class.

I think spec series are good for lower tier racing teams and talent. It makes it more affordable (in theory) so that teams that don't have as much money can be competitive and you get to really see who is the better driver across a season. There is such a wide range of ability at that level that the great drivers or engineers can really stand out.

I'd hate for F1 to become a spec series. It has problems with being more of a parade than a race at times, but I don't think creating a spec. or introducing BoP would solve that issue.

The racing I want to see would be the cheapest. You just buy a car off of the lot. If it needs a rollcage, that would cost a bit more but not much. There would be no teams and no factory support. A guy and a couple of friends bring their car, fuel and tires and run it until the race is over or until it breaks.

With the way it's going, I'm waiting for them to stagger the starts and force the drivers to cross the finish line at precisely the same time on the track as all other cars. That way, everyone could get a first place trophy.

It makes a difference if introducing specs at high or low levels of competition. At amateur or semi-pro levels it makes racing cheaper and tightens up the field. At high levels the teams will spend a fortune to turn that spec into an advantage by using resources lesser teams don't have.

I'm old and cranky, so I don't care. The blow-your-socks-off races I can remember transcend smaller issues like this. Wasn't Fangio's greatest F1 race in an older slower car that sustained damage and he set a lap record in that state? I like drag races and air races the most.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
My neighbor runs Claimer Races. The cars are junk. If a car wins, any competitor can buy it at fixed price, like $400 or $1000. This ensures cars do NOT have a lot of money in them.

Attachments

• NeighborsCar.jpg
    NeighborsCar.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 154

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thank the God's there is an unlimited class ... world land/water/air speed record attempts. etc.

Did you see that Mickey Thompson *finally* got his Land Speed Record? (Unblown piston, fuel, wheel driven) Vicariously, posthumously, through his son; but in basically the car Mickey built for a 1968 attempt.

Mickey went >400MPH one-way in 1960 with a beautiful but wide streamliner. Summer Brother's similar Goldenrod set a solid 404 in 1965. Mickey came back with a narrower car. Salt was bad that year, sponsor politics went sour, and Mickey fooled with other motor topics until his 1988 assassination. In the next 45(!) years 404 was raised by others to 409, 414, big deal.

Danny Thompson got a backed-up 450MPH.

This 50-Year-Old Streamliner...
Danny Thompson's Challenger II Set ...

To me: the LSR has been 404MPH "all my life". Now finally it has moved.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
This is what I'd like to see. Cars racing (any car, any price range) all on the track together. The cars wouldn't race each other. It would be more of a showcase for the cars and allow people to see how they compare.

The rules would be that no car can have ANY service other than cleaning the windshield, fuel and tires. NOTHING can be done to modify the car. ALL parts and features have to be readily available from the manufacturer to anyone who buys a car from the local car dealer. This means that not even the air filter can be anything other than one from the manufacturer's parts supply. The only modification would be a choice of tires but they must be used on the OEM rims.

Pretty much how it used to be in the Bathurst 500 in the 60's and 70's. I really miss the spectacle of so many different classes battling it out on the track together. It was really good motor racing!! an example from 1968 YouTube

Tony.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Here is a bit about the cars having to be exactly as you or I buy. YouTube :)

There are plenty of Bathurst videos on youtube, though these days the primary race is v8 super cars, however they do still have other classes running and I think one production car class may still run, but I never see it televised.

Tony.

Charles, I agree with you about motorcycle racing. Some of my favorite racing memories was back in the 80's when I was racing in WERA and AMA events. I loved racing in the 6 and 8 hour endurance events. ALL the classes on the track at the same time. Here I am on the track with world class factory sponsored racers! Hanging off the bike with the rear tire sliding thinking I'm some hot shot and a Pro racer passes me on the outside with smoke coming off both tires! Holy Crap!

Really humbles a guy.

BillWojo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.