What kind of evidence do you consider as sufficient?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a huge majority of people from all over the planet say they hear something the same way as the others.... That should be good enough.

If you could present a single case of that I would be interested. Same thing/ same way has a meaning in this context which to me is the same gear, the same source material, under the same conditions. Frankly it has never happened for "a huge majority of people".

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The are/brain gets really good at filling in missing information. Because of this it is possible for someone to not be aware of the differences because the brain is filling in the missing pieces. I look to the day when the state of the brain can be directly measured (we are closing in on that) and when we can determine when the brain is doing less work, is more relaxed with one DUT over another bypassing the translation from what someone thinks they are hearing.

In a double blind (ie maybe so blind that people are not aware of weighing in on 2 DUT), test where people can just listen and not have their attention twisted by having to try to pick 1 of 2.

dave

The are/brain gets really good at filling in missing information. Because of this it is possible for someone to not be aware of the differences because the brain is filling in the missing pieces. I look to the day when the state of the brain can be directly measured (we are closing in on that) and when we can determine when the brain is doing less work, is more relaxed with one DUT over another bypassing the translation from what someone thinks they are hearing.

In a double blind (ie maybe so blind that people are not aware of weighing in on 2 DUT), test where people can just listen and not have their attention twisted by having to try to pick 1 of 2.

dave

yes, different people have different mindsets, and different biases based on experience, education and social status...some have bigger wallests than others....no one shoe size to fit all..

Whenever controversial audio effects (resp. the audibility of those effects) are discussed then sooner or later the demand to provide evidence occurrs, mainly as demand to do some sort of "blind test" .

Let´s assume that level matching is given, what else (wrt test conditions) is needed so that you would consider the evidence as sufficient although you were previously convinced that no difference can be heard?

the problem here as i see it is that there are millions of permutations on so many variables..

and then listening to music? who can have a magnetic playback in their brains to be able to remember all the minute details when listening to music? the elephant can have photographic memories as some humans do, but earsographic memories? sorry i just coined a new word...

why not just enjoy the music rather than finding reinforcements to your beliefs?

dave

Auditory perception's job is constantly doing this "filling in" or deciding on the best fit of the auditory nerve signals to the stored auditory models. In other words auditory signals mostly fall into a category is called 'poverty of the stimulus' i.e there's not enough information in the signals to solve the problem of creating an ever changing auditory scene - in mathematics, it's called an ill-posed problem

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Auditory perception's job is constantly doing this "filling in" or deciding on the best fit of the auditory nerve signals to the stored auditory models. In other words auditory signals mostly fall into a category is called 'poverty of the stimulus' i.e there's not enough information in the signals to solve the problem of creating an ever changing auditory scene - in mathematics, it's called an ill-posed problem

It is why i figure the DUT that requires less fill-in is likely the better.

dave

Status
Not open for further replies.