What kind of evidence do you consider as sufficient?

Status
Not open for further replies.
About DBT of audio gear in the comfort of listener's own setting and their own pace and duration of their own desire? Nothing detrimental to the listener's ability to hear. It only becomes a problem after the results don't agree with the preexisting narrative of certain group of people, not beforehand.

Let me ask you again, since you're dodging the question: what does the literature say about cognitive burden during preference testing and its effect on test results?

scholar.google.com is a good start.

The 2‐AFC had been shown to have a greater operational power than the theoretically more powerful 3‐AFC, because of the latter's greater memory load, as well as some less favorable sequence effects (Rousseau and O'Mahony 1997; Dessirier and O'Mahony 1999). The greater memory load of the 3‐AFC reduced its d′ values below that of the 2‐AFC, which in turn reduced its power. The same reduction in d′ for the triangle test was noted in comparison with the two stimulus short version of the same‐different test (Lau et al. 2004).

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/joss.12045

Last edited:
Let me ask you again, since you're dodging the question: what does the literature say about cognitive burden during preference testing and its effect on test results?

scholar.google.com is a good start.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/joss.12045
You are missing the point. If you bring up a peer reviewed article showing that audio DBT done at the comfort of listener's own setting, their own pace and duration of their own desire causing them to not hear what they would have in subjective casual listening comparisons, then I'll look into it. If you bring up academia paper thinking that it's equal to the real world events, no thanks.

:rolleyes:

Okay, so you have no evidence and I'm supposed to take you at your word, when the people that *actually do* experimental design for preference testing have done a good amount of work to show the effects of different test protocols and their effective powering versus their theoretical powering.

Right.

:rolleyes:

Okay, so you have no evidence and I'm supposed to take you at your word, when the people that *actually do* experimental design for preference testing have done a good amount of work to show the effects of different test protocols and their effective powering versus their theoretical powering.

Right.
Evidence of what?
I thought DBT is for discerning the difference. When it's confirmed that there is a difference, then as an option, the preference can be decided. Obviously, one cannot pick audible preference when there is no audible difference to be heard between audio electronic components.

Let me ask you again, since you're dodging the question, DBT of audio gear in the comfort of listener's own setting, their own pace and duration of their own desire, does it cause detrimental stress that prohibits the listener from hearing difference that they would have in subjective casual listening comparisons?

Let´s assume that level matching is given, what else (wrt test conditions) is needed so that you would consider the evidence as sufficient although you were previously convinced that no difference can be heard?

You`re probing deep waters here.

My waste of bandwith: I think it matters first to you and only you. If you like it better this way, then what the hell`s the cost of others` opinions? You may run a blind test with an independent, non-audiophile 3rd party (wife`s ideal) exchanging the equipment in question in a random pattern and not exchanging it at all. Then you can gather opinions but they`re all subjective.

Measurements can never be enough in audio - I know of many ultra low distortion drivers that are used correctly and sound rubbish. But then the question comes - if the driver is very low distortion, its timbre would be closer to the original signal, so someone ****** up before the driver. Is it your crossover, amp, D/A converter, transport, recording tweaking (highly possible), quality of recording equipment (also very likely), performance of artist?

Audio is very subjective and in the diital era will get even more shittish, unfortunately.

I am God and master of my hearing and perceptions. Trying to tell my I am wrong is a waste of your time and disgusting.

Sure. And the same applies to the guys walking down the street near where I live who are holding conversations and occasionally screaming arguments with entities that no one else can see. It's a waste of time to tell them they don't hear who they are talking or yelling to, but it's also of zero relevance to anyone else in the world that they do hear that...

If Bob Pease rose from the dead and told me he believed it to be so as he levitated in front of me flanked by a choir of winged engineer-cherubs with probes as arrows, I’d consider that sufficient evidence.

I'd need a unicorn to nod in acknowledgment.

RAP on hearing and measuring: "There are things you cannot hear that I can measure and there are things that you can hear that I cannot measure."

https://www.eeweb.com/featured-engineers/interview-with-bob-pease

Evidence of what?
I thought DBT is for discerning the difference. When it's confirmed that there is a difference, then as an option, the preference can be decided. Obviously, one cannot pick audible preference when there is no audible difference to be heard between audio electronic components.

Let me ask you again, since you're dodging the question, DBT of audio gear in the comfort of listener's own setting, their own pace and duration of their own desire, does it cause detrimental stress that prohibits the listener from hearing difference that they would have in subjective casual listening comparisons?

Let's be entirely sure we're on the same page:
- Ben says that testing is mentally hard.
- You reject that idea outright and suggest it's an excuse that shills put out
- I point out that you haven't done your homework: there's a body of research into human preference testing that points out that preference/difference detection *is* mentally hard. I go ahead and cite some of it for you.
- You start flapping you arms and call the literature irrelevant. Then try to change the subject to a point not originally made.

So how about you show me the literature that says that Ben's original point was incorrect? No deflection.

Let's be entirely sure we're on the same page:
- Ben says that testing is mentally hard.
Which testing is that? Please be specific.
- You reject that idea outright and suggest it's an excuse that shills put out
Which idea did I reject? Please be specific along with quote of my post.
- I point out that you haven't done your homework: there's a body of research into human preference testing that points out that preference/difference detection *is* mentally hard. I go ahead and cite some of it for you.
Now you decided to sneak in the word "difference" after posting the following 2. :rolleyes: Moving the goal post noted.

Right.
BTW, if human preference testing that points out that preference/difference detection is mentally hard in electronic audio comparisons, then that levels the playing field between audibility difference claims made from subjective casual listening comparisons and level matched DBT. What's the problem?

- You start flapping you arms and call the literature irrelevant. Then try to change the subject to a point not originally made.
As I replied to you already, bring up literature relevant to the debate subject and I'll respond.

So how about you show me the literature that says that Ben's original point was incorrect? No deflection.
See my response above.

Status
Not open for further replies.