Audiophile Contentment Syndrome -- are you a victim?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So much effort for so little gain. And, the others may even say there is no gain. My wife expresses it like this: “ Do we really need yet another amplifier?”. It is not about the result – it is the process.
While the results may be arguable, the process brings further gain. We learn how to master electronics better with each effort. It is just like leisure fishing: you could probably buy the same fish much cheaper but it would leave you short of the experience of going fishing.
I have build many amplifiers over the years and some sound very fine to me. I find “contentment” in their performance. But, I still have some technical concepts I like to try out just to challenge myself if I can make them work as well.
“Contentment” is a very dangerous concept in a world where the GNP has to grow every year.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
AUDIO magazine had a piece on the subject over 50 years back. I'm not gonna post the whole thing, it's rather endless, but here's a taste:

Attachments

• OneStepataTime.gif
    OneStepataTime.gif
    98.5 KB · Views: 172
... Does it end up with him living a secluded life with hardly any social interaction other than that of an online forum?

He was already single, do not think the path to a life in front of the stereo would help that situation.
Do you have the rest of it? I'd like to hang it up on a suitable wall, the boss lady might get her smug on.

Edit:
The fun part for me is trying to simplify and reduce cost in relation to performance.

Last edited:
The fun part for me is trying to simplify and reduce cost in relation to performance.
That is my goal also, experiments with typical and representative 'consumer' grade gear (garage sales, recycling center etc) to get them to sound detailed, enjoyable and 'right'...so far so good.
Most consumer gear is pretty good actually, with good enough measured performance for most usages and it is surprising how good such gear can sound.
My tweaks include choice of cables and filters in the appropriate places.
Oscillators/crystals have great influence, and can be 'tweaked' to set system 'tone' also.

Dan.

Just posted this in another thread...

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

Joined 2016
Paid Member
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

A very applicable quote - especially in the context it came from. The caveat is that it's subjective, and doesn't allow you to say everyone else's tranquility setting is wrong.... That's where it all goes sideways... "This sounds good to me, so I'm right and you are wrong".

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I find this bit mildly worrying. This is what a lot of systems reckon on, the trouble is it's also human nature to get used to things, however wrong

Earl Geddes said something along these lines (I'm sure I'm paraphrasing a lot, but this was the gist of it) a long time ago.

"You are likely used to hearing something that isn't accurate. Now that you have something more accurate you think it sounds wrong and want to adjust it to what you are used to. Try listening to it for a while, and you will find if you go back to the inaccurate you were used to you won't like it any more".

Tony.

These days I'm happy with my main system and become slow to make new experiments, but I always try to remember that is not only about results; is also about the path, experiences, etc. When we travel we must walk/run/drive/fly etc for achieving a destiny. Sometimes the path is more beautiful than the destiny, and we learn new things. Of course, without the need to achieve something, is difficult to wander around (or starts something), but perhaps sometimes wandering around leads to something if we maintain a good sense. So, most of my last time audio projects are for a pleasure of being entretained and up-to-date with iron solder. Perhaps one of it takes place of my main system.
By the way, I love secondary systems due to freedom to choose crazy things far from the main objective/subjective results. Or to obtaining bench results with crazy components. Experience is a must.
And always remember that all of this is supposed to be fun, and deviations from ideal sometimes IS needed (for amusement, at least)!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.