Cats and speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The key is to get them to imprint on a more appealing substitute before they “claim” a speaker or find I appealing.

Get a really nice, appealing and sturdy (the more you have to replace the post the more you have to repeat the process of enticing) scratching post, place it maybe 3-5 feet from the speaker and dowse it in catnip. Literally, on a daily basis, make sure your cat gets really messed up on this post.

I took a pvc pipe and set it in epoxy inside of an indoor flower pot, then glued rope around it. Sounds hodgepodge but it came out looking really slick.

If you get creative you can make it look very nice amongst your furnishings. Or, there’s a variety of offerings you can purchase:

IMG_0032.JPG

Then get a spray bottle with water and blast them if they come close to the speaker.

So, you have a positive and negative motivator working simultaneously.

Speed and consistency is the key.

Once the process is effective you can incrementally move the scratching post farther away.

I can personally vouch for this method.

Have plenty of scratch posts available and make sure they're solidly anchored.

Tom

This. Scratching posts in strategic places keeps kitty busy and out of trouble.

Cats want to scratch something in every room. It's territorial. Cats want to scratch something where other cats and varmints will see it. In the cat's mind, it's the whole point.

I have a huge whole wall, floor to ceiling window in my living room. I have two scratching posts right by that window. The cat always looks out the window at other cats and varmints in the bushes, which drives her crazy. She gets all in a frenzy and starts madly scratching the scratching posts. But she never scratches the furniture. Speakers are on a pedestal and never get a look unless birds are playing through them. :)

Cats and speakers.....that cure was easy. At the time I owned a 400 WPC Carver. When you find Kitty on top of, or scratching a speaker, turn the dial to eleven, pop in a CD, then flip the power switch. Kitty will be running at full speed before touching the ground. 3 or 4 of these events and Kitty won't go near the speakers.....

Turntables are a different story. That spinning thingy is just far too tempting. The dust cover was no match for a 15 pound cat! Kitty put my Zero 100 out of it's misery after mangling a stylus or two and killing a few records. I replaced it with a Technics in about 1980, which I still have. I put it where Kitty couldn't get to it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.