Why?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I think sticking with 4:3 would have to be the most rebellious thing that we can do today with the established rules in our society that has the most visible effect, it is a rather independent decision made against the status quo to decide not to have a wide viewing screen. I just wish it wasn't so low definition. I wish there was a high definition 4:3 standard.

Almost like the 1984 telescreen is to enslavement, analog audio and video tape is to the rebellion.

After all you cannot take down what was never put up on the internet to begin with.

We are choosing not to give in to the Digital Devil.
We are choosing not to give in to easy editing and portability.
We are choosing not to take our medication because it is our constitutional right to do so.
We are choosing NOT to put margarine on our toast even though its "healthier".
We are choosing to film bigfoot in analog video because you never know when a UFO is going to come along and get in frame and then who will believe you then, if its recorded with a digital camera they'll just say that you did it in Blender, BUT NO! you recorded it on an analog video tape and analog video tape cannot be easily edited! or imported or exported from a computer!
We are choosing NOT to stick our fingers in the slender blender to get that little bit of pudding out because we are smart and it is still plugged in to the wall.
We are choosing NOT to watch a copy of V for Vendetta on Netflix because the government is tracking us and so therefore we chose to buy it on DVD or Bluray and then pan and scan it and copy it onto Betamax or VHS, because we don't want the government knowing when we are watching V for Vendetta.

Mark my words there will come a time when every digital technology is going to call home and then where will you be? You will be in 1984 with the telescreen watching your every move!

Analog media is a journalist's best friend, uneditable, cannot be tampered with without noticing it. Uncompressed.

YouTube

Just imagine this speech in 4:3.

Pan and Scan again | HiFi Writer Blog

Spread the word! Via morse. 4:3 is here to stay!

Last edited:
I sent this to a friend today.

The author of The Knowledge Illusion: Why We Never Think Alone, Sloman’s research focuses on judgment, decision-making, and reasoning. He’s especially interested in what’s called “the illusion of explanatory depth.” This is how cognitive scientists refer to our tendency to overestimate our understanding of how the world works.

We do this, Sloman says, because of our reliance on other minds.

“The decisions we make, the attitudes we form, the judgments we make, depend very much on what other people are thinking,” he said.

It is said BBC went from 5:4 to 4:3, About 1948 I think. I watched Starsky and Hutch in 4:3 the other day and thought it looked good. The investigations look very real with ultra simplistic stories that ruins it for me. It would be good to time travel and make the stories hang together better. Quincey does well enough. Skippy looked real and was far from it, best not say more. Lassie was OK and Flipper. Skippy in real life didn't have the brain, it was all fake.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Has anyone ever heard of RAKS videotape? Are they any good? I've been going through my recent 200x VHS tape acquisition and I was noticing how this tape never drops out and how the audio is extremely good, both video and audio are as stable as a DVD. I read online that their audio tapes are apparently really good, it confers with the audio quality off of these audio tapes, the stereo carrier comes in strong, never drops to mono and is very sharp in treble.

RAKS Cassettes

Cooperates with BASF apparently, enough said.

I will have to setup a jerry rig to see if I can do resolution and wow/flutter tests on each tape brand that I have and see how well they perform. I might end up using a 700TVL CCTV camera and a test card in a sealed box with a high quality light source mainly because a DVD player will end up introducing MPEG2 artifacts (and chroma subsampling/chroma noise).

Not sure which route I want to go just yet, HDMI to Composite or CCTV camera and test card.

I have:
Sony Super DX (Durable & Extreme)

TDK Sharp & Clear
BASF SG & EMTEC SG.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Spotted a SVHS deck on ebay for cheap... tempting to buy it simply to dub Laserdisc to tape and make it more convenient. But then I'm thinking that I would then need to have space to store the SVHS tapes and to source a steady stream of broadcast quality SVHS tapes. Tempting but I might pass.

Sure, Laserdisc won't be around forever, the players wont at least, but I am happy to keep the discs hanging around for long term, they take up little space per movie.

I will pass mainly because also that I am getting into Betamax again and I don't want to get rid of Betamax ever again, so I will be continually buying Betamax machines well into the future. So I will probably more than likely just dub Laserdisc movies onto Betamax tapes.

I am considering winding high quality BASF EQ E-180 VHS tape into the old "blank" Betamax cassettes once I've backed up the content from the original blank Betamax tapes so that at least I can still use the Betamax format for storage of movies from Laserdisc for many decades to come without having to worry about the tape itself degrading. Instead by doing this all I need to worry about is the machines degrading and malfunctioning.

I am not that picky to want 400 TVL capacity on SVHS over 240 TVL on Betamax. Betamax does produce a nice stable and clear image. If I'm that picky and I want to blow the image up to a huge screen I will simply play back the Laserdisc.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
The laserdisc players are getting VERY hard to find in AU and spare parts are impossible to find (For example try finding a laser assembly ribbon cable for any Pioneer LD player today and you will come up empty, all parts are cannibalised from other malfunctioning players.) hence the need for a tape format to record onto, plus my computer isn't near to my Sony Trinitron so a VCR is highly sought after and the only decent 4K LCD screen is here in my bedroom where having a LD player is inconvenient (Imagine having to get out of bed and stand up for 1 minute to change discs... that would get boring REAL quick), plus I hate having to take up a 44 inch 4K LCD screen just for a LD movie and lock myself out of being able to use the computer at the same time, I like to browse ebay/read AND watch a movie at the same time.

So the less wear and tear on the LD player machines the better.

I have plans of digitizing all my current and future LD purchases so don't worry about that. I was just looking for a puritan/analog method of easily and quickly popping out a Betamax (or S-VHS) tape and popping it into the VCR for quick viewing pleasure. The idea is to have two Betamax VCRs, one in the living room for me and mum to watch and one in my bedroom for me to watch, with content converted from DVD, LD or Bluray with Betamax tapes with new Chromium VHS tape that has been spooled into an old Betamax tape cassette.

I am still undecided on weather or not to buy heavily into DVD or wait for the releases to come out on Bluray. I'm not a fan of either Bluray or DVD, too much chroma subsampling on DVD MPEG-2 standard and Bluray for my tastes looks fake and Criterion doesn't do my kind of movies though I would love them to release Schlafes Bruder.

I am still waiting on a half decent high bitrate or even lossless video format to be released on a new tape technology before I buy heavily into it and begin to build a large library. I'll probably be waiting forever. For the time being I am buying (rather cheaply) into Laserdisc and Laserdisc only and the occasional Bluray and DVD, preferring PAL P&S releases over NTSC counterparts for most Sci-Fi films that I have and I'm only purchasing in bulk at 20-50 Laserdiscs at a time on groups on Facebook.

Just about the only thing that comes close to what I want is HDCAM on Betacam tape but nobody does a consumer format like that, yet.

My ideal Movie library would consist of a new optical tape format that is equivalent to 35mm and/or 70mm film in a tape with a 1 inch wide tape at about the same size as the larger Betacam tape cassettes (Betacam SP L). This would work great with existing library storage methods as well. I honestly believe that AHD (Yes the CCTV standard) has a half decent chance at being the answer that we all want if it was released on either a 1" or 1/2" tape that is either optical or magnetic in nature. Either that or a lossless modern codec on a tape, that would be lovely as a home consumer format.

For the time being I will continue to comb those composite signals.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I bet she has some secret video stash.

I wonder what is her personal record for a tropospheric ducting TV DX?

I'm interested in your personal thoughts on these tv test patterns: Television Test Cards, Tuning Signals, Clocks and
Idents

I've been glancing through them this morning with great fascination.

I've been on the lookout for a resolution tv test pattern suitable to author/burn to a DVD for my own personal use regarding VCR resolution tests and playback through a DVD player and captured into a capture card.

This morning I did various 1 minute tests using the SMPTE color bars and realised that it is rather pointless doing these tests without a resolution test pattern as well to check for resolution/TVL resolution.

Seems rather pointless buying a properly mastered DVD test pattern generator (such as this: Video Reference and Test Pattern program on DVD )for this tinkering purpose so I shall make my own.

Last edited:
Somebody mentioned early in this thread that PAL and NTSC were 6 MHz video bandwidth. A common misinterpretation. NTSC video bandwidth is 4.2 MHz. PAL is 5.5 MHz (both numbers approx ... I can't be bothered to remember or type the string of numbers that remind me of e or pi!) That difference was very noticeable if you had a TV capable of rendering each fully.

I was living in England in the 70s and was shopping for a television. At this time the old 405 line VHF service was being abandoned, so thank goodness the dual standard sets were being phased out. I had been working for a broadcast television equipment manufacturer and had become used to watching high quality monitors.

I visited many shops selling TVs and was disgusted by the quality of most ... even sets from the same manufacturer had colour variations. You could look at a row of a dozen sets and each looked different. It was reminiscent of NTSC Colour here in Canada (we referred to it as Never Twice Same Colour) Eventually I found a shop that specialized in Telefunken TVs ... They had a wall of about 30 TVs of different sizes and the thing that stood out was they all had high quality pictures and they all looked just the same.

For audio, I think that the difference between vinyl and digital is that we notice the enhanced precision of the digital recording compared with the vinyl recording and we find that can make the recording sound too harsh. It's like the difference between hearing the same musical performance when played live and when recorded. The recording can sound subtly too harsh because it lacks the effects of ambience in the recording location.

Add in nostalgia and the result is the vinyl revolution :)

We occasionally got 30 minute programs on 10.5" full spool tapes for free from studios that we had to play on domestic tape recorders after respooling them.

No matter what brand we used, they ATE tape heads no matter although interestingly BASF were actually less like 2000 grit sandpaper! We had to regularly replace tape heads.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Mainly, the noise reduction defaults will do that (you need to adjust the setting).
Yeppers I figured that out pretty quickly when fiddling around in Handbrake.

For the last hour I've also been using a cheap Toshiba dvd player to play back some still jpg images off of a USB flash drive and calibrate my capture card to those settings. The settings I came up with in Virtual VCR for the SAA7134 capture card are in the attached image below which are NOT the factory supplied defaults, pressing the default button gets you a much higher contrast setting for example.

Also, compression on anamorphic pixels will be blurry (you need to encode to square pixels).
It took me a while to learn about square pixels and the actual "frame size" or in computer speak "resolution" and the difference between the two, apparently "resolution" is what you talk about when you are talking about optical lenses and their resolution and "frame size" is a purely digital domain terminology.

I'm capturing 4:3 AR video not anamorphic.

As this thread will hopefully clear up for some others out there looking into capturing video for themselves, I learnt by stumbling across this thread:
Is PAL 720x576 or 768x576 - VideoHelp Forum

As a result of finding this thread I'm now capturing in Virtual VCR at a "frame size" of 768x576 (which the capture card supports, last time I captured at 768x576 was 10+ years ago so no wonder I forgot about this setting), which should by rights take the whole "square pixels" thing out of the equation and remove the need to convert the analog video into square pixels. Previously I was capturing in 720x576.

Another interesting read, gets better under the title: "Conversion of anamorpic video into non-anamorphic video"
Aspect Ratio and Digital Video

And, compression reduces quality if/when the output is same size as the original (you need to up-size with lazcos).
Is that true for converting anamorphic video to 4:3?

Attachments

• 098-diyaudio.jpg
    098-diyaudio.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
For anyone who thinks that Full D1 PAL 4:3 Aspect Ratio is just plain obsolete and an old fashioned aspect ratio not worthy of anything and that 768x576 is too low of a resolution to convey any sort of information. Well... I would like them to have a look at the captured image below and I challenge anyone with a modern day bluray setup to show me a scene in a modern movie where the actors face is this zoomed in.

This is what I'm talking about when people who still love VHS and the Pan & Scan method are still using the equipment even today, when you get close up to an film artists face you can truly relate with the person a lot better. That is what I miss about the old 4:3 aspect ratio, CRT televisions, and VHS in general.

This is a cropped screenshot of Virtual VCR playing back a preview of an analog loopback (through my Panasonic 6 head VCR, just sitting there in AV mode, not recording) from the output of my DVD player which is playing a still JPEG image off of a USB flash drive. This is the full capacity (sans the chroma noise) of Composite analog video.

It appears that my capture card's (and VCR and DVD player) maximum resolution is approx 500 TVL.

Attachments

• 099-diyaudio.jpg
    099-diyaudio.jpg
    728.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 100-diyaudio.jpg
    100-diyaudio.jpg
    734.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
At least here in the US, analog TV on VHF or UHF and modern digital TV on either band all get 6 MHz of spectrum space for each RF channel.

An analog NTSC stream in the US had 525 lines of which 486 actually carried video. The analog modulation of each line was limited to under 5 MHz of signal bandwidth with a chunk taken out of the middle for the color information. This rate supported about 700 "pixels" of nearly infinite shading under IDEAL conditions. There are about 375,000 "bits" of analog information per TV frame, which is updated at an effective rate of 29.97 Hz. Other popular TV formats do have more lines with 625 being used in PAL.

A 1080 HD video stream however has 1080 "lines" by 1920 pixels. Each pixel carries 8 bits of information for each of the 3 primary colors, or 24 bits per pixel. This creates over 2 million 24 bit words per frame. Of course some form of compression is needed.....as you state, that's where the problem lies.

It is up to the individual broadcaster or cable company how they use their bandwidth. There are multiple standard choices. In the US, an over the air TV station can devote the entire 6 MHz channel to a single 1080P TV stream. Many of the big city TV stations do exactly that, and the picture quality is quite good. You have to critically watch a well produced video to find the compression artifacts.

Here in the middle of nowhere we have two over the air TV channels. OTA channel 9 stuffs a 1080i network stream, a 720P network stream, and a 480i stream through their 6 MHz allocation. Compression is quite obvious. OTA channel 7 stuffs a 1080i network stream, a 720P network stream, and TWO 480i streams through their 6 MHz allocation. The picture quality......

The cable company here stuffs about 300 TV streams, internet and phone service down cable that is over 20 years old. Some of their video streams make the OTA channels look good. They seem to allocate more bandwidth to the most watched channels, so if you don't watch the mainstream crap, and prefer some of the less popular channels, you get to watch obvious pixelization and occasional breakup of the entire screen.

It's all about the money......more streams per MHz equals more advertising revenue.

Analog NTSC OTA was limited to 4.2 MHz, about 330 vertical line pairs. The biggest degradation is separating put the chroma from the luma. Cheap TVs used simple bandpass filters and generally discarded the top 2 MHz of the luma. Better TVs used a 2 line comb filter and the best used a 3 line comb.

Unfortunately you're mistaken on the HD. There ARE 1920 x 1080 of luma but the chroma bandwidth is 1/4 of that. It's called 4:2:0 and there is one chroma sample for 2 H and 2 V pixels. In the studio for compositing they will use 4:4:4 full bandwidth to get the best. Normal dubs are 4:2:2 which share chroma for every 2 H pixels bur no vertical sharing. What we get at home via OTA is the 4:2:0. It might be better for streaming but is at best 4:2:2.

The raw data rate for 1920 HDTV is 1.5 G Bits second for 4:2:2. The best HD tape recorder was the Sony SR series that recorded 440 MBits, about 4:1 compression for studio use. 25 and 50 MBits is commonly used in commercial TV so the OTA data rate of 19.34 M bits isn't all that much worse. There is a recorder by Blackmagic designs that will record full bandwidth using high speed SSDs (like you use in your PC). You do realize that even with 1 1080 program on OTA video the compression is about 80 to 1.

ATSC 3.0 is starting to deploy so all your HDTVs and tuners will be obsolete in a few years as it is not backward compatible. Don't panic as most of you are using a cable box into an HDMI port and will not affect you at all. You'll just get a new cable box. I, however, have have 8 channels of old ATSC and those will get discarded.

In LA at least 4 carriers have gone dark in preparation. KCBS in LA is talking about air testing within the next year and I hear there is some OTA ATSC 3 in Denver. During the transition multiple networks will share on one carrier and there will be no OTA subchannels until ATSC 3 is completed. The main thing slowing it down is lack of tower crews to change antennas for the new channels.

The compression will be considerably better as MPEG 2 will be gone. ATSC 3.0 also supports 4K OTA.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.