Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

WaltJung archives shutting down
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2018, 10:25 AM   #1
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default WaltJung archives shutting down

Whats New | Walt's Blog 2014

Quote:
The WWW.WaltJung.org and the associated blog site, Waltsblog.WaltJung.org/ will be ceasing operation in July of this year..

Edit: Have removed a link here following the request and clarification from Walt.

Last edited by billshurv; 8th June 2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 7th June 2018, 02:19 PM   #2
Fast Eddie D is offline Fast Eddie D  United States
diyAudio Member

Jung was a pioneer in audio op amp applications. Op amps were originally intended for use in computer circuits. My first electronics tutor scoffed when I started using op amps in audio circuits. Of course, he thought that midranges had to be oval too.

Without Jung, I wouldn't be doing what I do today. He is my number one mentor in electronics.

Luckily, I have some of his books in my library. By books, I mean actual physical books; not e-books.

His circuits may seem ordinary today, but remember he was the first one to design a lot of the circuits we take for granted today.
Old 7th June 2018, 02:37 PM   #3
JensenHealey is offline JensenHealey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

His op amp cookbook was standard text at my uni - back in the 1970s. Since being first published in 1974 it made its way as a standard very quickly indeed.
I still have it on my shelf.
Old 7th June 2018, 04:24 PM   #5
Fast Eddie D is offline Fast Eddie D  United States
diyAudio Member

My buddy recently donated a bunch of old books to his local library. Included in his collection was the "Cookbook" and "IC Op-Amps for Audio Applications." He said they probably just threw them out. I pointed out that I still build circuits out of those books. He thought they were obsolete, but I pointed out that only the devices discussed are long obsolete. I build variants of those circuits, mostly with OPA2134 and NE5532 (they're not all the same ) and they're better than most commercial applications.

I recently built a version of Jung's state variable filter for an underground DJ. He showed me a video of a late great DJ (Frankie from New York I think) and asked me how he did a certain effect. He had tried many times with tone controls and could not reproduce it. So I built a simple version from spare parts (leftovers from prototypes), changed a couple values, put it in a small server chassis I pulled from the dumpster, and he loves it.

Last edited by Fast Eddie D; 7th June 2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 7th June 2018, 04:39 PM   #6
morinix is offline morinix  United States
diyAudio Member

The wayback machine is saving civilization!

Looks like it's all there.
Old 7th June 2018, 06:17 PM   #7
myhrrhleine is offline myhrrhleine  Belize
diyAudio Member

anyone know why?
Old 8th June 2018, 02:33 PM   #8
WaltJ is offline WaltJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Default This posting is *NOT* approved by Walt Jung!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Link in quote removed
I strongly suggest that this directory of resources copied (purloined is more accurate) from my website be removed, immediately. For numerous reasons:

1) I was asked by the poster about doing this, but I never gave any OK. So much for common courtesy, I guess. It is as if I had no say in the matter.

2) Further, not all of the PDFs on my site are mine, there are many guest items. To repost them without any renewal of authority is simply not OK.

I call on cooler and more reasonable heads to prevail here.

Walt Jung

Last edited by jazbo8; 8th June 2018 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Link removed
Old 8th June 2018, 02:54 PM   #9
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Walt,

Sorry didn't want to cause a problem. It's just like many this is a resource we are sad to lose.
Old 8th June 2018, 03:20 PM   #10
WaltJ is offline WaltJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Default "this is a resource we are sad to lose"

To billshurv; here's what I sent out to website supporters on June 06, 2018 10:58 AM:

Hello to all of you folks who have supported WaltJung.org over the years. As is now evident from the website's "Whatsnew" note of yesterday, the end of the present web hosting is coming in mid-July.

In preparation for the closing of WaltJung.org, I am now using a new email address, as noted above (and below).

I am also attempting to archive the more recent (and important) content from WaltJung.org as standalone PDFs. The CFA thread of 2017 falls into this category.

It is not yet ironed out just how the PDF content can or will be accessible. I do have all the PDFs archived offline, but the question is more one of exactly how they should be accessible going forward.

Thanks to everyone for your support over time.

See this 6/8/2018 addendum to the shutdown posting:

Last edited by WaltJ; 8th June 2018 at 03:39 PM. Reason: added content

WaltJung archives shutting downHide this!Advertise here!