Anyone interested in audio design in CT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Originally Posted by kevinkr
If you have not already joined the local diy circles you should look for them or start your own. You can post on the forum to start a club in the area.

I didn't know that was a thing.
I'm a member of one here in northern New England (MA, NH, VT, and ME) that is focused on tube technology, so I would imagine there is something comparable in your neck of the woods. This one has existed for 20 years or more.

An interesting Topics and a lot of insightful contributions.

I don't want to jump in as an **** here but I have to ask based on some of the OP post.

1. Are you a trained Electronics Engineer?
2. Do you have some kind of prototype that you can listen and compare to some well known Audiophile equipment from the likes of Pass, Mark Levinson, Accuphase, Luxman, Gryphon for SS gears and VAC, WAVAC and Audionote for the tube gears? This question is probably double edged sword so I will clarify myself. I don't consider them to have authority over what a good sound is but they are generally treated in the audiophiles circle as reasonably good stuff and should be used as a yard stick for your design.
3. It takes a lot of efforts to get the finished products to meet your ideal designs. Start that from a piece of name plate that you want to attach to your be-all-end-all product.
4. A lot of people here have tried and come to agree that KISS is still the answer and not to dwell on one piece of a design that address the distortion or the phase. It will come back to bite unexpectedly. If your design has such a low distortion, how's the phase relation with no feedback used?

1. Are you a trained Electronics Engineer?
No, I only started learning EE a few years ago. I've spent an extraordinary amount of time in spice and literature though.
As I said earlier I don't think I'm some "great" designer or whatever I just try to be creative and the results speak for themselves.

2. Do you have some kind of prototype that you can listen and compare to some well known Audiophile equipment from the likes of Pass, Mark Levinson, Accuphase, Luxman, Gryphon for SS gears and VAC, WAVAC and Audionote for the tube gears? This question is probably double edged sword so I will clarify myself. I don't consider them to have authority over what a good sound is but they are generally treated in the audiophiles circle as reasonably good stuff and should be used as a yard stick for your design.
I've compared to commercial amps and stuff. I've never heard a SS amp that I liked other than the ones I made. But I've directly compared mine to tube gear and it sounds much more like tubes.
But I guess that's probably because I use tube-like transfer curves in one form or another a lot of the time.
Personally I've never heard a design I liked from an external manufacturer that I didn't need to modify first.
That being said I haven't heard everything out there.

4. A lot of people here have tried and come to agree that KISS is still the answer and not to dwell on one piece of a design that address the distortion or the phase. It will come back to bite unexpectedly. If your design has such a low distortion, how's the phase relation with no feedback used?
I think you'd be surprised how KISS my designs are.
I don't do the whole zillion part transistor circuit thing for the most part. Way too many possible points of imperfection in those designs and fundamentally I design based on the goal of eliminating all known imperfections in a design as much as humanly possible.

Low distortion is a coincidence of my design philosophy, not the goal. By eliminating imperfections in a design low distortion comes naturally. I am pretty adamant about not using techniques that result in unwanted phase shifting so phase relation isn't an issue. I try to make everything as pure and high performance as possible.
I think you would be really impressed with some of the stuff I've come up with, I am at least.

Last edited:
Ok, so nobody seems to be rising to met your challenge.

Nobody will.

You are keeping it very secret and mysterious, and nobody knows if there actually is a pot of gold at the other end of the Rainbow, so you should show at least *something* .

I suggest you take a picture about 2 yards away, so details can not be seen, component values can not be read, but enough to see it is actually *something* (a huge Protoboard?) and not just smoke and mirrors.

But I've directly compared mine to tube gear and it sounds much more like tubes.
But I guess that's probably because I use tube-like transfer curves in one form or another a lot of the time.

Tube amplifiers typically have lots of distortion at the output and that is part of their sound. An over simplification yes but, fans of valves find even the best virtually distortionless SS amps boring and unengaging. I would have thought you use devices not transfer curves to design amplifiers.

You are asking someone to give up their time without presenting a credible story. You show a simulation claiming it's NGFB amp into 8 Ohms and -170dB THD. Then say you simply parallel more to go to -300dB, how many 2, 10, 100, 3e6?

How about single device you consider worthy with the SPICE model that you use? Nothing given away there.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Scott. <snip>
The only one trying to prove something here is you.
I won't debate your misunderstandings anymore.

I have to smile rather more than a bit, while trying hard not to roll on the floor.. Scott, of the people here has the least to prove of anyone I know. You might want to consult the oracles at Google, and reconsider some of your comments.

Without considering the consequences and who you might be talking to, you just slammed a pretty damned important door. Loose lips sink ships.. bla..bla..bla

He continuously misreads and misquotes what is clearly basic English laid out in proper grammatical form. Either because he is rushing to make a point and not taking the time to read my words, or because does not posses sufficient reading comprehension skills. Many of the questions he asks have already been sufficiently answered as well.

Sorry I won't suck up to someone like a tool because they are "important".

Keeping up a debate based on hearsay is a pointless exercise without a schematic to begin with. It can only go nowhere until a schematic is posted. This is basic wisdom. I've already made it clear several times I have no interest in marketing to this thread and that's not what I started it for. When I am ready to show you data you will know about it.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Remember that everything you say here is a permanent record of how you conduct yourself, any potential business partner now and in the future can see how you handle dissent, and your communication style in general.

I think at this point I too am out. I do wish you success in your endeavor. Good luck..

If you are not an E.E, you'll have a hard time (a very hard one at that) to persuade to find a real E.E with the piece of information you throw out there.

If you are an E.E, you already would know that information is nothing to rub into to another E.E to work free for your design till the money flows.

That information is probably better aimed at the end user when you have a finished product in hands.

I think I can say like one of the sharks in the Shark Tank tone, you have 5% done and your partner will have to do 95% of the work to bring whatever you say to the table. And all for Free which will probably takes a few good years.

I am not dissuading you from your ideas but the reality is out there and I am just sharing my opinions.

Best of luck with your endeavor too!

PS. A little birdie told me that if you can bring the noise level down to -160dB, your talent is best appreciated in the High Speed Data transfer which pays a lot a lot more than the audio.

Hi, I'm Kevin...I've just now invented a new internal combustion powertrain configuration that will provide combined fuel economy of 80 MPG in a full size SUV with zero pollutant emissions. It will knock the socks off anything Toyota, Mercedes or GM can come up with. I just need someone who knows how to take my concept, engineer the components, integrate them, validate the durability and performance and tool it up for mass production. Oh and if you could fund the whole venture that would be good too. I live in SE Michigan so it would help if you do too. Hit me up!:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.