Votes: 27 69.2%
  • Yanny

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Somthing Else

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I tried this a few hours ago, it was on the BBC website. All I heard was Laurel. It couldn't be anything else to me, every part of the word was clear, the rrr in the middle, the lll at the the end. Super clear. That was on the laptop.

An hour ago the conundrum was on the BBC news on TV, I just happened to switch on and there it was... Yanny, Yanny, Yanny. Huh ! This to was super clear.

Back on the laptop now, playing the same clip from the same site as before and all I hear is...………….. Yanny.

There is some kind of conditioning going on to me. I can't get a Laurel from it now.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've tried it repeatedly over the past two days and made the mistake of sharing it with my local group where it has created more than a little controversy and good natured angst.. LOL

I hear a fairly gruff male voice saying "Laurel" on my HP laptop. I've not tried it with other devices.

I just listened to it and initially only heard Yanny. I was confounded that anyone could hear anything else but that so I gave it a few more listens and sure enough, Laurel could finally be audibly discerned. So now, -if I try- I can hear both but I never would have heard Laurel without trying to.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002

Attachments

• The-optical-illusion-The-Young-Girl-Old-Woman.png
    The-optical-illusion-The-Young-Girl-Old-Woman.png
    216.8 KB · Views: 194
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Strange, I went from Yarry (I never hear yanny) to Laurel with better audio, and there it stuck. Until this afternoon when I heard it on the car radio. Distinctly Yarry again. :xeye:

It is said to be a computer generated pronunciation of Laurel that some high school kid recorded.

EDIT: So strange; just listened again on my MacBook Pro. Started out Yarry, yarry, larry, laury, laurel, laurel. Fascinating to hear if morph from one to the other.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.