Votes: 27 69.2%
  • Yanny

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Somthing Else

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I seems to have to do with frequency response. If the fundamentals are missing or attenuated, you'll hear Yanny or something similar. Also, if you are lacking in high frequency hearing, meaning that the harmonics are not as pronounced, you'll likely hear Laurel.

Explanation on NBC news tonight was that it is very dependent on the playback channel frequency response.

Lack of LF response Yanny.

Lack of HF response Laurel.

I still get the same results on my tube amp and speakers I have hooked to the computer.

Looks like I spent too much time looking it up and Pano beat me to it.

Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Not really a proper explanation just a rather poor you tube link - though it did tell us where the clip originated at least - and that it's meant to be "laurel".
Anything that starts "divided the internet" or "broke the internet" gets my teeth grinding.. :D
At least one of the earlier links showed the tone changes needed to make it change for them - except that didn't work for me.
The only reliable way to switch between the two words for me is the total pitch shift in the OP link.

hqdefault.jpg

Tell me what you hear:
YouTube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.